Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New guy here with a 1960 P-14

New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92407

• JPS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone. New to the forum (and boats) so thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Michigan along the I-94 corridor about 50 miles east of Detroit. Anybody here that lives nearby?

I recently bought my first boat, it's a seafoam green over white 1960 Seaswirl P-14 built by the Pilot Grove Co. It's sitting on a Sterling trailer. It was a farm find, the wheels had sunk almost to the hubs and it had more lichens than the north side of an old tree. It cleaned up exceptionally well and I'm gonna try to fire the Johnson 40 this weekend. It's been sitting since forever but judging by the condition of everything I'm confident it will run.

I'll get some pix up ASAP.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92411

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard John, glad to have you join us. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your project.

Mark

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92414

welcome,jps,you will need to install a new impeller if that motor sat that long or it will overheat ,you should see a good stream of water coming from the motor,if not shut it down.plus all new fuel would be good.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92420

• JPS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
A new impeller huh? Maybe I better find myself a boat guy before I do anything. Just finished restoring my 68 Pontiac and building a 462 stroker for it but I guess that's like apples and oranges cuz I've never messed with a boat motor before.
I have to admit that this was an impulse purchase. I was at that farm on other business, asking about the boat was just small talk but when she said I could have it for $50 I quickly became a captain. There are dozens of lakes in my area so why not.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I won't be trying to start it today after all. But at least I won't ruin it when I do.

John

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92427

Welcome aboard. You can do it all yourself with help from someone here. We all help each other out. :woohoo:

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92429

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
There are a number of do it yourself videos on YouTube showing in detail how to do it.

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92454

Welcome aboard John. Robert is right there are plenty of good folks who can talk you through the impellor replacement. If you can build a 462 stroker you can replace the impellor, it's a piece of cake. The Johnson/Evinrudes are about the easiest motors to work on.

Bob

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92628

• JPS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
As advised I watched a few of the DIY videos and this is indeed a rather basic procedure. I've no qualms about doing it, but I do have a question.

You guys have made me aware that overheating is a pretty sure thing if the impeller and possibly the cup are not replaced. Taking it out on the water as is will turn my motor into an anchor. I get that.

My question is, can I stick it in a barrel of water and run it for just a few seconds without causing any serious problems? The thing is, I'd like to know for sure that it will run before I spend any money. I'm thinking to run it for about as long as it takes to say Yea it runs and turning it off again.

Thanks for your input.

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92630

Yes you can do that. You thinking 10-20 seconds or less right? That won't hurt it! Much more then that and you are on thin ice but a few second will be fine for sure.

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92634

JPS,

WELCOME ABOARD.

IF I didn't believe that it would start, I wouldn't bother putting it in a barrel, as water pump impellers are CHEAP/AVAILABLE for most common OB motors.
(Btw, MANY OB motors will run reasonably well in a barrel & NOT run decently at the lake.)

Fwiw, I first replace all the points, plugs, plug wires, condensers, coils & the impeller on EVERY Big-Twin OB that I buy/own.

Given clean "gasoline mix" & decent compression on both cylinders & the parts above installed, virtually ALL OMC Big-Twins will run, as they are OVER-ENGINEERED. - In point of fact, I've NEVER seen a "worn-out" Big-Twin in a half century.
(Otoh, I have seen many that were "abused to death".)

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92638

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I've done it that way myself John, you probably won't hurt anything just running it a very short time. The impellers have been known to break off blades (of rubber) and send them up into the cooling passages in extreme cases, so you'll want to keep it to a minimum until you have a chance to check it out "up close and personal".

I'll try to find the pics of my current motor, an Evinrude 115. It fired (weakly) and pumped water out the tell-tale hole. I shut it down and pulled the water pump apart, to find the impeller melted and molten rubber all but plugging the outlet! Luckily, it was all in the upper housing and pipe that runs to the power head. WHEW. :ohmy:

www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/j-e-g-o-s-place/1978-evinrude-115-v4-model-1115899c#53188

Mark

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92658

JPS,

A further comment: IF you have not yet gotten yourself a copy of CHEAP OUTBOARDS: THE BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO MAKING AN OLD OUTBOARD RUN FOREVER by Max Wawrzyniak, get yourself one. = With that 14.37 book & literally a handful of simple tools (like wrenches, screwdrivers, a hammer, etc.) you can fix anything that is likely to be wrong with your Big-Twin.

Btw, NAPA Auto Parts stores sells essentially everything for the Big-Twins from 1955-70 at low prices. - MOST "high use parts" are in stock at many larger stores & most other parts can be delivered to you in 5 or less days.
(NOPE, I don't work for NAPA. - I'm just a happy customer.)

NOTE: You need NOT be a "mechanic" to be able to maintain/fix a Big-Twin.
(My "new to me" boat will be powered by a PAIR of 1958 Johnson 35HP OBs.)

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:New guy here with a 1960 P-14 10 years 5 months ago #92682

• JPS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I really appreciate all of you taking the time to post your great advice.I've always said "if it's got tits or wheels on it I can probably fix it". With your help I'll soon be adding propellers to that list.

The main reason I want to try it before spending anything more than gas money is because I'm skeptical by nature. I can't help but think there's a reason it's been sitting since 1974.

On the other hand I've made a few epic finds over the years and this just may be another one so I'm gonna go ahead and change the impeller and invest in tune up parts before trying to start it up. I've managed 50 years without a boat and a few more days or weeks won't kill me.

In the meantime there's plenty of buffing and polishing to be done. The top was covered so the green just needs a light buff and a coat of wax. The white hull has oxidized some but will surely shine again. It's supposed to be nice and sunny here tomorrow so I should be able to take a few good pix to post up.

John

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online