Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fuel delivery opinions

Fuel delivery opinions 10 years 5 months ago #92350

:) Good Morning!

Within the next few weeks I'll be finally starting the Club Mariner renovation. As this will be a "fix'er as I use'er" reno, my intent is to get her on the water as soon as is safely possible. However, as I put things together, I want to set mechanics up that will be in place for the final set up, which brings me to the questions.

Among the many parts that fill my garage, I have a mercruiser fuel filter/water seperator off a V8 I/O - I use a 20 micron filter. She will be running dual 1962 Gale 40's. My thoughts on fuel delivery are:

2 tanks (initially portables, but saddle tanks by mid summer) feeding an A/B tank selector switch, to primer bulb, to the filter, with 2 direct outs from the filter to the Gales. Assuming that I make sure the system is primed:

Will the Gale's fuel pumps have enough pull to get through the filter?

Will the filter take out any of the oil in the gas mix (research says no, but...!)

Any other ideas comments on the setup?

I'm pretty psyched to finally be able to get on this project, but want to make sure I spin my wheels as little as possible. :)

Thanks folks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Fuel delivery opinions 10 years 5 months ago #92372

1) Put the primer bulbs between the filter and the motors so each one has a primer to ensure you prime both carbs.
2) yes the pumps will have no problem pulling fuel through the filters
3)No the filter will not take out any of the oil in the mix but avoid ethanol fuel if at all possible. If you cannot get ethanol free fuel in your area rebuild both carbs with kits that are certified for ethanol fuel, replace all fuel lines with ethanol certified lines including the bulbs and run Stabil ethanol stabilizer in all the gas you buy.
Al

Re:Fuel delivery opinions 10 years 5 months ago #92399

Ahh, makes sense with the bulbs, thanks. Carbs were already rebuilt for ethanol, but will replace fuel lines as a precaution anyway....hard to avoid here. Thanks Al, Much appreciated!

Al T

Re:Fuel delivery opinions 10 years 5 months ago #92409

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Al T, I had the same reservation about the filters and two stroke oil originally. The local expert from Racor assured me that the filters would not disturb the mixture, and this was confirmed by the factory engineer types at "Racor University" when I attended the product training class. I've now been running a ff/ws for 6 years, no problems! ;)

Sounds like you're going to have a sweet set-up there when you're done, please share some pics with us okay?

Mark

Re:Fuel delivery opinions 10 years 5 months ago #92526

Great! Thanks for the reply Mark!

Will definitely post once I start making some progress. Just finished a final coat on insde of wood on bracket...mechanicals next...had some pics of glasspar when I originally got it, but must have disappeared when site when over...I'll repost in my profile this week.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online