• Page:

TOPIC: Found another boat not sure if I should buy it

Found another boat not sure if I should buy it 10 years 6 months ago #92202

• KeithG
  • KeithG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I came across an about 15 foot Fabuglas boat with trailer and Mercury 400s Kiekhaefer motor to start this motor is in beautiful shape along with the boat this boat was owned by an older man who passed away and it was abandoned at his buddys house after his passing. The older gent who has it now tried to get the old titled owners daughter to get the title for it but she can be bothered and loves across the country. I have an opprotunity to buy the boat and just wondering if maybe I could part out or what can I do with it I know titles are almost imposible to get but this boat would make me cry to see it rot away or be hauled off for trash. The motor is in amazing amazing shape as is the hull floor trailer everything and it is very orginal. Is there even a market for the engine seeing as it has no title or does it even need one as old as it is any info would be great Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Found another boat not sure if I should buy it 10 years 6 months ago #92204

There are ways to get a title. Changes by state.

Re:Found another boat not sure if I should buy it 10 years 6 months ago #92228

We need to now what State your in.

Re:Found another boat not sure if I should buy it 10 years 6 months ago #92229

First thing to do is call the ODNR (Ohio Department of Natural Resources)and talk to them, since they handle boats.

I know my experience was only a canoe, but, a canoe was given to me.
It had old registration numbers, but the aluminum badge was so corroded you couldn't read anything off of it, including hull number. I called the ODNR and told them the story of the moss covered canoe that was given to me... blah, blah ,blah. They told me to bring it in. They did a registration search, found it used to be a canoe livery boat, said it was never reported stolen, they couldn't find or see the hull number either. So the issued me a new hull number and registered it on the spot.

Maybe I got lucky, but older boats alot of time, before certain years didn't have titles, just registrations. If you do the leg work, it may not be too bad of an ordeal ?

Re:Found another boat not sure if I should buy it 10 years 6 months ago #92241

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
The ODNR was very helpful. I have processed titles on 4 Ohio boats.
Working with the ODNR is easier than tracking down relatives

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Found another boat not sure if I should buy it 10 years 5 months ago #92469

I have spoken with The Ohio Division of Watercraft for my own situation before I made the purchase of a 50 year old boat,trailer,and motor. they assured me that as long as I had a bill of sale from the former owner that getting an Ohio title would not be a problem. The only thing is that you have to schedule an inspection at a ODW site so they can verify numbers. In my case my boat does not have a hull tag and they said that they would also like to see the last registration from the former owner. then they will issue me a new haul tag/number that would go on the transom. they also wanted to inspect the boat in its raw unrestored state. the whole point was to attempt to insure that the boat is not stolen, and nothing to do with its seaworthyness . I hope this helps. the trailer will go thru the bmv and should not be a problem. I'm still not sure about the motor.

Re:Found another boat not sure if I should buy it 10 years 5 months ago #92470

In Ohio, I was originally told the same thing, it turned out to be a lot harder, but I did get it done.

See my previously posted story at:

www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/titling-an-old-boat-and-outboard

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Found another boat not sure if I should buy it 10 years 5 months ago #92472

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
In Nevada all you need is the last known address for the boat/trailer owner. You simply mail a "registered letter" request for the previous owner to supply you with the needed paperwork to register/title the boat/trailer. If the letter is accepted and no action happens within 15 days you take the registered letter stub and a copy of your request to the dmv and they give you title after confirming the boat/trailer haven't been reported as stolen. If the letter comes back you simply take "it" to the dmv unopened and they process it that way. I'm sure most states have a similar system. You do need the boat/trailer in your possession and it will need to be inspected by the dmv/highway patrol.

Re:Found another boat not sure if I should buy it 10 years 5 months ago #92475

• KeithG
  • KeithG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Im not sure what my plan is I may just part it out I hate to do it but I just am not sure what else to do with it. I am sure I could find the motor a good home it is in amazing condition i don't know I wanted a boat and now they are reproducing in my yard like wild fire.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online