• Page:

TOPIC: 1960 +/- Hydrodyne

1960 +/- Hydrodyne 10 years 6 months ago #92096

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I just saw an early 60s 16 ft Hydrodyne. Anyone with thoughts or knowledge of these boats? The floor is shot but the transom sounded solid. The suspension on the front seat (no back seat) was kind of funky. All original deck hardware in decent condition. It is potentially for sale from what I understand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1960 +/- Hydrodyne 10 years 6 months ago #92131

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Photos
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1960 +/- Hydrodyne 10 years 6 months ago #92141

Sorry Todd can't help you on that one.

Bob

Re:1960 +/- Hydrodyne 10 years 6 months ago #92142

the inboards are really cool and yep those springer seats are weird....we saw several at a boatyard texas/arizona a few years back...john

Re:1960 +/- Hydrodyne 10 years 6 months ago #92155

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
She's got nice lines Todd, thinking of lining up your next project? I think that's the first OB model I've seen, like John I was thinking of the I/O model I guess - Has the big ole "pro stock" looking air scoop on the engine cover. This one's kinda neat in it's own way, IMHO. ;)

Mark

Re:1960 +/- Hydrodyne 10 years 6 months ago #92162

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
An Abe Crosby design. The I/O's made great ski boats for major shows like Cypress Gardens. I have a 68 Hydrodyne 1500, totally a different design. It does not have the Mercury style fins like the boat you are looking at. Todd I think the Mercury fins just make the boat too cool. I missed a 19' inboard a couple of years age. The boat you have pictured looks like Coral and Cream gel coat. My 68 is coral over coral gel coat. Coral is definitely not a common gel coat. Myself, I think buffed out it looks more like a french beige. I will try to find a pic of it before we sent it to the boat yard. They have a reputation as a super handing boat. Neat find.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:1960 +/- Hydrodyne 10 years 6 months ago #92233

Hi Todd,
I enjoyed seeing the Hydrodyne, as my family was a dealer for several years, and we thought very highly of them. You might enjoy visiting our business website page "About Us": www.fergusonpoolemarine.com/aboutus.html where you can see pictures of a then new 1963 20 foot Hydrodyne, and possibly (but for color) the very same boat you pictured in our then new showroom window (on the left). As Al stated, they were designed and produced by Ab Crosby, and my parents switched to Hydrodyne from Crosby about 1960, when Ab left after selling Crosby Boats to Archer Daniels Midland (My father is pictured in early 1958 with two Crosbys at the Atlanta Boat Show). The first customer to ever purchase a new boat from my family (in the middle 1950's), purchased a new 16 foot Hydrodyne outboard from us in 1963, and this family still owns and uses this boat to the present day.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:1960 +/- Hydrodyne 10 years 5 months ago #92433

Hey John, do you remember the name of the boat yard? Always looking for spare parts!

Dreams do become reality!

Re:1960 +/- Hydrodyne 10 years 5 months ago #92434

Hi Todd, it's Todd. I restored my '61 i/o. My story is on the forum under "warm story for a cold day." Start with checking the balsa hull. Big, big project if it needs attention, but well worth it! Ab Crosby built these boats with a very strong layup by using extra glass.

Dreams do become reality!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle