Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New guy with a few questions.

New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92034

First off hello, and I hope I am putting this in the right place.

Recently I inherited a boat from my father who passed away. There was no will, or any type of documentation saying that I will get the boat. And he purchased it before he and my mother were married.

The boat itself is a 1968 IMP Oceanic. As a family we did a light restoration on it in about 1994. It was repainted, seats were all redone, new floors, and reconditioning a few things. It currently sits in an indoor storage facility at a marina, at the Lake of the Ozarks, in Missouri. The boat broke down about 15 years ago, and he never had it fixed. If I remember correctly the boat needed a new lower unit. It had an mercruiser inline 6 cylinder engine in it. Not sure about much else though. All of us kids were grown up and moved out by then, so he and my mother bought an RV, and just sort of left the boat to sit there.

I should also add at this point that I have no real knowledge of boats. I have been tinkering with old cars for about 20 years now, so I do have a good knowledge of how engines and most car related thing work. Anyway there are major mechanical problems with the boat. When it broke down they initially gave him an estimate of around $4000 to repair it.

So, back to the present. My Mom said last week she was just going to have the boat scrapped. I told her I wanted the boat, and would do everything in my power to get it back to its former glory again. So she agreed. Now I will be the proud owner of a boat that none of us has seen in at least 15 years.

Here is the problem I have. He bought this boat before they were married, and it is titled in his name only. There are 3 titles that come with the boat. One for the boat itself and one for the trailer. Here is the weird part, there is also a title for a 1968 Mercruiser engine, which is the one in the boat. But the title is for an outboard motor. We have no idea why, as it is an inboard/outboard setup, or maybe a stern drive. (Like I said, new to boats and trying to learn) Now the real problem, the state of Missouri has told my mom that since there was no will, that she is only allowed to transfer one title into her name. Everything else would have to go through a costly probate, and could drag on for awhile. I have tried to convince my mom to just sign the titles with his name and date them for before he passed. Although illegal, it seems like the easiest way. I am the only one in the family that wants the boat, so its not as if anyone will dispute it. But she is fearful of legal repercussions if the state were to find out. I personally don't see how they would as no one would dispute it.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I am a bit of a talker. I guess my questions are: Is there an easier way to title this legally without a lengthy probate hearing? Why is there a title for an outboard motor, when is doesn't have an outboard and never has? And finally, where is a good place for info on these? Is there one? Right now it looks like it could be pretty challenging, but the boats has to many great memories to let it go. So, I guess I might be in for a challenge.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help is appreciated. Looking forward to posting about fixing it back up. But I need to get the legal stuff taken care of first.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92040

CustomDave,

First, WELCOME ABOARD.

I've faced a similar situation, with a boat/OB/trailer that was left "in limbo" when my aunt & uncle died intestate. = PLEASE do NOT put your mother in the position of committing a CRIMINAL FRAUD, just because it is "easier"!

Instead, have her get a title to the boat & trailer issued in HER name & after that is complete, have her sign her rights to the property over to you for a sum of money & pay her by CHECK, so that there is a "paper trail".

BEST WISHES on your restoration of your treasured family heirloom.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92047

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome Aboard!

I've only done a few titles, here in pa, and nothing too out of the ordinary.

But if it were here in PA, i'd find a friendly notary to go over everything. Helped out when i recently had an out of state "gift" boat from someone who didn't hold title or registration to the boat.

If she can do one easily, maybe do the boat. Get a new trailer and scrap the other trailer. If the motor has in I/O and the other title is for an outboard i don't see why you need to worry about the motor. Does your state title motors?

I agree with satx, it might be painful but i wouldn't take the easy way. Usually more trouble that way.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re: New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92048

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Talk to the DMV yourself, preferably in person. Something may have gotten lost in translation when the issue was previously discussed. If possible take the trailer title and the boat title with you and tell them to give you what you need to change them over. Contrary to popular belief state DMV offices genuinely don't want to make the situation impossibly difficult. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Re:New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92054

Thanks for the quick replies!

We are still in the beginning stages of all this. The marina had told my mom that while it is stored indoors, it wasn't covered so the interior is filthy with years of dust and dirt. They said the trailer will need new tires and bearings at least. Also they don't know what they did with the lower unit. It seems to be lost after 15 years of neglect. I found all this out while over at Mom's house this afternoon. We are going to try and take a trip down there in the next month or so to get a better idea of it's condition. We have decided that if it is to far gone we might have to let it go after all. She doesn't want to get into a lengthy legal fight over the titles to it, which I understand. In that case I have the bug now, so I will start looking for something similar.

As far as ditching the trailer and buying a new one, that is what the lady at the DMV told my Mom to do. How do I know what trailer will fit the boat properly? It is just a matter of finding one for the right length and weight of boat? Thanks again!

Re:New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92056

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Don't let it discourage you. Many of us buy boats with no titles whatsoever. There is always a way to get those things done if you have the will. I don't practice law but I did go to law school and if there was one thing I learned it is only paper, don't fear it. Go to the source and make them give you exactly what you need at the start, it is their job!

Re:New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92061

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
When you go for a look get some pics and post them here please!

Get some of the trailer too. Some people like classic trailers. If its a desirable one someone may need it for parts.

A new trailer shouldn't be hard. Like you said mainly length and weight. Also hull style.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Re:New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92063

Don't let the fact that it is dirty discourage you. If you know car engines, you can work on this. The fact that it is a mercruiser also makes parts for the outdrive (part attached to outside of boat) available. These are car engines that have been marinized, i.e. heavier duty parts, some changed to avoid rust, etc. A book on the engine will get you up t speed pretty quickly. They are called inboard/outboard, or I/O, or stern drive....all the same thing.

Check out the boat, outside, inside and under dash carefully....I'm not saying they did, but if it was unattended that long, folks may have been using it for parts for other classic boats where original parts are scarce. Sorry, but better to err on the side of suspicion, ..lol.

While I guess it is feasible that the bearings may have gotten flat spots from sitting, I doubt it. Like any bearings, they only get damaged if they were abused...i.e trailer moved w/o grease in bearings, or a lot of use where they just wore out. They probably just need to be cleaned and repacked. Also, if your folks were paying for storage the facility owes you an outdrive....despite any disclaimers they claim or were signed...check local law. More than likely, someone walked with it because it was so long since anyone came for it and easier to steal one than fix the one you have.

Bottom line, take the other advice offered here, do try DMV, and let the marina know you expect to see an entire boat, not parts missing. Good Luck, it is a fun hobby. Oh, might want to bring a long x-tension cord and a small vacuum when you go!

Re:New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92068

Each state is different. I went thru something similar in another state. What your DMV is probably going to want is a copy of the death certificate, copy of letter naming seller(your mother) as the executor of the estate and her signature on the title as seller. Check with a family atty., it should not cost much to file the papers and get your mother named executor.

If you have a Tags & Title service available they can be very helpful, sometimes more than DMV, and it's much faster.

Check to see if today you need a title for an I/O in your state. Could the outboard title be for one your dad had/sold a long time ago?

Don't let dirt thro ya, it's a very good protectant. Water will kill a boat. It's great it's been undercover. If you can work on a car engine you can handle a Mercruiser.

Re:New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92090

Welcome, and good luck!

I wouldn't worry too much about the title, you can get one online pretty easily from certain states, we do it all the time. :)

I agree, don't put your mom in that position.

While the lower might be owed to you by the marina, I would give it a shot, but it may cost you more in time, money and aggravation to pursue that than just finding a good used one. Especially if it needs repair anyway?

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92117

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Agree with CC1000 you should be able to pick up a good used outdrive for 4-600. Make sure it has the correct gear ratio as they are different on a straight 6 [super engine and they last forever]] vs a 8 banger

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92199

Guess I should have reworded some of that. I had just suggested that we sign the title on the back. I wasn't trying to force her into it or anything. Just reread this, and realized it kinda made me sound like a bit of a scumbag. I promise I am a normal boring suburban guy. :lol:

Still looking into options with the boat. We don't have a family attorney, but she knows a few that work in the same building as her. She is going to ask them if there is an easier way. In the bit of research I have done it looks like it shouldn't be a problem getting the title through the court. It might just take a while.

I am hoping to get down to the lake and get some pics of it in the next month or so, but with Easter coming up and all the other things family life brings it may be a bit.(It's about 3 hours away) We also found out that while the boat has been stored indoors, at some point (possibly when they initially took out the lower unit) the cover came off, and they never recovered it. Mom said it was an almost new cover and it cost them quite a bit at the time. Hoping the marina can find it as well. The more I find out about missing things the more I want to get it back home where it belongs. Maybe I am just getting defensive though. Everyone else in the family tells me to just buy a different boat. But, this is the only one that will do. Looks like I have at least found a group that can understand. :laugh:

Thanks again for the great responses. I will try to update when I have actual news or pics.

Re:New guy with a few questions. 10 years 6 months ago #92205

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
DAVE, don't give up. Wisconsin will register the boat. Go online and request a registration form or have a buddy from WI pick a few up and mail them to you. Any boat under 16' does not require a title, only registration. Forms are free, I used to have a half dozen in a filing cabinet but used them all. Cost for registration is minimal. Once it's registered then it's just a matter of transferring to your state...
Here's the link, download, fill out and send her back.

dnr.wi.gov/files/pdf/forms/9400/9400-193.pdf

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online