• Page:

TOPIC: Hydroplane kit

Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90356

• Seymour
  • Seymour's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So after my trip to the hydroplane and race oar museum I got thinking. They buy kits there for kids and in only three weeks they put these together and they have there own mini hydro to race and learn how to drive. Now being 5' 11" 185 the kids boats won't work for me. I looke around and this site www.boatracingr11.com/Sorensen_boats/sorensen_hydroplane__kits.htm
From Sorenson boats came up. When I thought of building my own hydro the class d is literally the exact same boat I have dreamed of since I was a little kid. In fact it is my best friends grandfathers boat. How hard would it be and how expensive to get the plans do all the cutting and building myself in comparison to buying the whole kit. I fully understand it is not a classic but it seems this is one of the larger collections of talented boat craftsmen on the web. The engine I can handle build and setup it is the would work and assembly that intimidates me. I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90359

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Go for it! I would love to watch your progress on the build. There is a lot of boat builders in your area. Plus the guy's here will give lots of advice. You may need to learn lofting or at least get a computer program to do that for you. There is no feeling like a successful build from scratch project.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90361

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's a thread you might find interesting, Seymor;
www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/regional-forums/fgmw/anyone-want-to-get-into-racing
It's a couple years old now, but you might get an idea or two from it, as well as some contact info on other folks with some experience in the adventure?

I also have a good friend in VA (donrh) who has taken up building wooden skiff and such, I'm sure he'd be glad to discuss the subject in general with you if you'd like his contact info. (Different type of boat I realize, but maybe some of the build techniques would be similar?)

Mark

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90365

neil posted this in the sightings section,check it out.
spokane.craigslist.org/boa/4351716795.html

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90377

john-gibson,

Looks like a REALLY FUN "toy" for "grown-ups" to me.
(My "Duckie" would tell you that NO men are "grown-ups" & that as we get older that, "Your toys just got bigger, louder & a lot more expensive." = CHUCKLE.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90415

Starting with a plan or a pre-cut kit would depend on your confidence in wood working. Also factor in cost of tools you may need to buy to cut your own parts.

I wanted to build one of those little hydro as a kid. Now in my old age the knees would not handle it. Here are a few vintage hydro plans I've been looking at, for when I have the time.

Outboards
www.svensons.com/boat/?p=HydroPlanes/SportsHydro
www.scribd.com/doc/2531579/Hydro-Dynamic-Hydroplane
www.svensons.com/boat/?p=RunaboutsOutboard/SeaFury

Inboards
www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local/shop.pl?cart_id=975cbf1f4fa1e72657d644d47f0d2e80&type=item&categ=013&item=933709462
www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local/shop_new.pl?type=item&categ=013&item=933705945&cart_id=25c30f5f1b0e01ca3e17c5d58746fca0
www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local/shop_new.pl?cart_id=b68fd424208e7044b8fee523824dffb1&type=item&categ=013&item=933705524

Attachments:

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90419

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90435

• Seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Wow lots of good info!! So there are two reasons I would like the class-d hydro one they operate on mercurys which is my brew and butter when it comes to engines. The second reason is the speed! I have a sidewinder now that does 50 and turns on a dime I am really looking to break the 70mph mark. If I can do that with a little old school mark 55 as aposed to strapping on a expensive I-6 Merc that would be preferable the main goal is to hit past 70 with less then $2500 in the boat and motor. I can build the motor I have the parts. $2500 is the magic number because I can get my current boat to do almost 70 with that much loot. Rebuild a 1500 get an elevater add power trim and get a nasty chopper and dual steering cable. I can rebuild restore motors which makes a smaller boat attractive. I don't have to add all the extra gizmos. But a little tunnel boat that you sit in definitely has some appeal!! Keep the thoughts coming lovig all these plans!

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90443

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I bought a few 90's era jet skis that I have been considering pulling the motor/jet drives and putting into a small craft like one of these hydros.

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90453

• Seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I like that idea!! Sounds fun.

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90510

70 mph for $2500 is a challenge. I would like to have a small 70 mph boat also, think it would be a lot of fun. I'm leaning toward the 13' Sport Hydro linked above. I have an early 60's Merc 70hp & 100hp that need something to do.

In a Tunnel I like the 15' AquaRod, claims 70 mph with a 100hp, reminds me a little of the Carlson CT15 I've always wanted.

2 links

www.svensons.com/boat/?p=MechanixIllustrated/AquaRod

www.clarkcraft.com/cgi-local/shop.pl?cart_id=01ab9703793dd448c2a76aea47d89fa0&type=item&categ=021&item=940690117

Re:Hydroplane kit 10 years 7 months ago #90515

• Seymour
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Maybe I could barrow a twister for that and see how long it takes me to flip it over!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online