Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lost NUB

Lost NUB 10 years 7 months ago #90092

Just purchased a Mercury outboard that happened to come with a
near mint condition Dorsett El Dorado. In fact, it was covered when I bought it (except for the motor) and I was very surprised when we took the cover off and found this treasure.

Couple questions:

1) The trailer is shot. I plan on replacing. Do most folks get a similar vintage trailer and restore? Or is it ok to go with a brand new trailer. I want it to be safe on the road so thinking new technology trailer maybe better.

2) The Mercury is a newer 4-stroke. It seems the really nice glassics have a vintage outboard to match. Is it ok to use new technology outboard? Kind of a restomod in the muscle car world. Or should I be looking to find a late 50's early 60's outboard to match?

3) The Dorsett is a 1958 El Dorado. It's black with white trim and has all the chrome pieces, badges, gauge, lights, etc.. The original owner kept it in a garage it's entire life. The boat is basically near mint (with a few scuffs here and there). Are these boats in demand...Cool...best of show type? Or are they pretty standard in regards to glassics.

Thanks Fish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lost NUB 10 years 7 months ago #90100

WorkToFish,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Lost NUB 10 years 7 months ago #90102

Got any pix of your newly acquired gem?

Re:Lost NUB 10 years 7 months ago #90105

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Fish, glad to have you join us. As JB stated, we'd love to see some pics of what you've got there. All three of your questions are really "opinion based", (everybody has their own, right?) and kinda depend on YOUR preferences. I'll throw my thoughts out there to 'stir the pot' and get the discussion started, okay? (Just my two cents worth, I know many folks will disagree!)

1) Restored classic trailers look cool, but you need to make sure it's structurally sound. The inside of frame rails and tubing can become rusted to the point they disintegrate, we've seen some actually fall apart (tongue or frame folded) going down the road. If you can find one worth restoring, great. Otherwise, the newer version may give you greater 'peace of mind' for your road trips.

2) Many folks prefer the period correct motors, but you really need to buy a manual and learn to work on those yourself. They often require tinkering and regular maintenance, some of the old girl's are getting hard to find parts for. (They're out there, you just have to know who to ask. We can help with that if you go this route, just be ready for some hefty $!) Some choose to repower with newer technology for reliability, and I completely understand that. Many of the older motors have years of service left in them, and can outlast some of the newer stuff if properly maintained. You could always hang on to the four stroke as a backup if you do decide to go 'period correct' on the power.

3) I've always considered the Dorsett's (El Dorado included) to be a classic ('Glassic, actually!) design. Love the lines and style, you just can't by floating art work like that anymore! A few of the members here have some fine examples that any of us would be proud to own, hopefully they'll chime in with some pics and advice for you as well.

The bottom line IMHO is take your time and think through what you want / expect from your boat, and build it whichever way makes you happy. Trailers and motors can always be replaced later on, get her seaworthy and get her wet is the best advice I can give you. ;)

Mark

Re:Lost NUB 10 years 7 months ago #90123

Welcome aboard, My 59 Tee Nee trailer makes my newer one look like a large pile of junk. I'd love to see your boat.

Re: Lost NUB 10 years 7 months ago #90170

Thanks for the warm welcome! Here are some pics:

My Gallery

It's barn fresh and needs a wash / wax. I took a look at the trailer today. It's a Holsclaw and outside of the rusted out broken axle...it's in good shape. I am not sure if I can find a new axle or have it repaired? If I could I would love to keep it.

Re:Lost NUB 10 years 7 months ago #90174

• STN19
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
wow great looking boat and that motor is just plain awesome too

Re:Lost NUB 10 years 7 months ago #90176

That is nice. Great find.

Re:Lost NUB 10 years 7 months ago #90177

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
NICE find Fish, looks like that should buff out nicely! There are some excellent articles under the Research / Restoration tab in the top tool bar here, just in case you need a hand bringing back the shine. www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/

IMHO Holsclaw trailers are generally very well built and definitely worth saving! (I've owned several.) Replacing the axle will require a little fabrication and welding (brackets for shocks, springs, and track arm mainly), as I don't know of any O.E. replacement sources these days. (Excellent literature available in the FG Library, if you haven't seen it yet!) www.fiberglassics.com/library/Holsclaw

You may be able to find an aftermarket axle (or kit) that matches in width, then just add whatever hardware is necessary for your application. There are several great sources for trailer parts, here are just a few;
www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_trailers-trailer-parts+trailer-axles+axle-kits
www.easternmarine.com/em_store/axles/?gclid=CPvU7qvk5LwCFUdk7AodeA8A8g

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle