Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do you restore your Classic inside or outside?

Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90028

Last year, I could be working on my boat outside. This year it it too snowy and cold. One inside place fell through as a location.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90030

outside under a canopy as weather permits georgia

Re: Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90033

I had to do all the work on the Glasspar seafair sedan outside because it was to tall to fit in the garage. That is why I have not been able to do anything since October here in Wisconsin.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90035

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
All sanding outside. Everything else inside.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90040

Yep what Jan said. That's how I did my Wagemaker and that's how I'm going to do my Century Resorter.

Bob

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90041

Outside. Last year I had a canopy but mother nature blew it to pieces. The boat is too tall to fit through the door into my Morgan outbuilding.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90047

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sanding or grinding indoors quickly covers everything with a fine layer of dust, that will take months to clean up! I have seen some folks hang sheet plastic walls around a specific work area to try and contain it, can't comment on how successful that is. Definitely preferable to do that work outdoors. Even if there is a strong breeze outside make sure you wear at least a dust mask, you don't want that stuff collecting in your lungs. (Tyvek suits are excellent for keeping the itchy stuff off your skin, but get quite hot during summer months.)

Words of caution on 'glassing and painting indoors - Make sure you have plenty of fresh air ventilation, and ALWAYS wear a quality respirator! (Needs to be rated for chemical exposure, not just a dust mask here.) Many of the fumes from the chemicals in the materials we use can kill you or cause irreparable damage if you breathe them in, you won't know it until it's too late!

Sorry about the "safety meeting" here Chris, you probably already knew most of this. It's intended more for the benefit of new folks just getting started in our wonderful hobby/obsession.

The temporary canopies available from HF or Northern will work for a season or two, but generally won't last much longer than that. There are more "heavy duty" units available (at a slightly higher cost of course) from www.tarps.com/ . It's nice to have shelter from the sun and rain so the work can continue outdoors even when the weather doesn't cooperate. I guess you get what you pay for, right?!
Attachments:

Mark

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90050

I do it all inside, but the sanding inside causes a lot of dust. I sand outside when the weather is good but is seems like the day I plan to sand its either raining or freezing, so I just deal with the dust.
Attachments:

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90053

outside in front of the garage...ron
Attachments:

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90056

I love the outdoors so if the weather is like it is today (73 and CAVU), I work outside if it is bad I move inside

CAVU

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90059

Our 1960 Glasspar G-3 was restored completely inside. But, as the other members said, our 1960 Glasspar Seafair Sedan was too big for the garage my restorers use. So,.....they use a "portable" canvas type cover for the boats they restore when they are gelcoating or doing any paint work. When sanding is being done, they take the portable cover down and do the sanding in the open.

Here is a photo of our Seafair Sedan after the initial gelcoat was applied and it was drying in the sun last spring:
Attachments:

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90060

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mine is done 95% inside. Fortunate enough to have a large work area under my house that I access through my garage. Sanding and painting are done outside, not by choice but the other half would ban me otherwise. That being said, even my garage/basement seems very cold at times.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90065

Marks.... excellent stuff here!

"The temporary canopies available from HF or Northern will work for a season or two, but generally won't last much longer than that. There are more "heavy duty" units available (at a slightly higher cost of course) from www.tarps.com/ . It's nice to have shelter from the sun and rain so the work can continue outdoors even when the weather doesn't cooperate. I guess you get what you pay for, right?!"

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90098

TSC has some really nice canopies around 4bills .but much more heavy duty .

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90125

All I have is the great outdoors.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90131

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
They are the great outdoors until it gets to -35 chill factor, enough to freeze even the hardiest of boaters. Geesh, I wish it would warm up. I'm suffering from indoorsey crazies syndrome! The Shell Lake project I'm working on is suffering also. Trailer is wired but it needs a paint job. Boat is almost ready to launch but 3 ft. of ice stands between it and cooling water. Go figure!
Cal :angry:

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90195

We are getting some more snow later this week. Not too cold right now, but there is a wind chill and it cuts through all but the heaviest coats. Too cold to work on the boat outside.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90198

I am pretty blessed to have a "Man Cave" shop in a storage condo. 24' x 48' with 16' sidewalls. I spent one Winter insulating, wiring and finishing the inside and building a loft in the back. I have a bar, bathroom with shower and a small kitchenette. Two of my neighbors have Man Caves in the same condo units and we are all into boat projects, both wood and glass. We share a set of gantry hoists and help each other out on our various projects. It almost seems to be more fun to help on other projects sometimes rather than my own! Here in NW Iowa, it is tough to sand and not get dust everywhere, so with the Buehler project, I used the gantry hoists to build a makeshift paint/sanding room and covered it all in plastic to minimize the dust issues. It helps but is not always ideal. Every Spring, I find myself doing a major cleaning of the building. Cleaning walls, pressure washing hte floors etc. Oh, and the heat bills are not fun, so I am careful to keep it manageable... Spring and Fall you will see us sanding outside when applicable.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90229

Outside since my 1 car garage is too short for boat trailers. I try and get sanding done when it is cold since bundling up helps ward off the itch....

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90249

Sanding and grinding outside just as the sun comes up until the tyvek suit feels like a sauna. Everything else in the A/C.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90416

Here you can be arrested for working on your boat outside. All that is allowed is wash, wax, change plugs and oil. I've resorted to TOP SECRET covert ops to get our Manta Ray finished. Slow but progressing now.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90424

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ahh, the boat police ehh? Gotta watch those pesky neighbors looking out their windows behind the lace curtains ;)

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90430

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I do most of my work in the basement except sandblasting. I'm water sanding and buffing the hull on the aristo now before I load it back on the trailer I just painted. When I paint,I put an old furnace blower fan in the basement window and open the attic door upstairs and pull air through. Get a great flow of air so no fumes.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90439

i did it all in a 24x14 garage. the trailer i did outside,but it rained on the new paint twice,so it was sanded twice and painted 3 times
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90451

after a year and half work I was finally able to put a boat into my new toy box today. still a lot of work to do finishing the inside but I am taking a break from that to get the 1960 citation ready for its trip to the mt dora/Tavares boat show with the florida glasspar club.

this winter was a little hard on the cheap Walmart cover
Attachments:

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90519

Right now, she has 4 inches of snow on her.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90540

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Bob, what year Resorter? I'm doin one now, a glass v bottom early 80's vintage, Nearly perfect burgundy hull gel with cream deck, simulating vinyl texture. Ya know I'm usually a stickler on keeping things original but, I think I am going to do this as a retro mod, blending the utility of newer glass v bottom with the looks of an earlier woodie resorter of 67 or so. I'm doing the chrome trim like the earlier boats, with the "V" on the transom, and the scripted chrome logos, mahogany for the bow and rear deck center pieces rather than upholstered, full mahogany dash and coaming trim. I have also grafted the FORD steering wheel Century used in the 60's onto a new cable helm. I have a set of vintage instruments for the dash too. I was going to use a shift lever and push/pull throttle but decided on a vintage Morse single lever for ease of use. I'll go with a full front bench rather than the door style. Moved and have no garage to work so waiting for weather to turn I'm in the Northeast in MA. Keep us posted on your Resorter.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90541

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Grinding outside, everything else inside....UNTIL I moved, no garage at new place (yet) so all is outdoors now, really slows things down. I live in the Northeast in MA. So during winters I do mechanics in basement and look for needed parts.
Randy

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90545

Well now it is a record low temperature. 3.4.2014 is now 4 degrees, no wind chill. The last record was 5 in 1873. And this country almost made him President of the US. We should check moral character before voting. Sorry for the soap box, but I have got a boat to work on.

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 7 months ago #90704

Ron i dont mean to change the subject but what are you spraying and what type of gun. ????????????

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 6 months ago #90733

They say the Cherry Blossom Peak will be around 4.8 to 4.15. Nice event.
Attachments:

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 6 months ago #90791

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Stuff is started to bloom down here after the last couple warm days we've had, the pollen count is already up to 9 hundred something. It's supposed to drop back down to freezing Wed and Thurs nights, so that might delay things a little. Spring IS on it's way, however gang! There's light at the end of the tunnel - I just hope it's not a train. ;)

I may go down to the marina today just to watch the bass fishers take off, the hard core guys are out no matter what the weather brings here. I love the smell of two-stroke oil in the morning!

Mark

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 6 months ago #90799

More snow tonight and tomorrow.
Attachments:

Re:Do you restore your Classic inside or outside? 10 years 6 months ago #90823

Possible tomorrow night but back up to 50's for the weekend! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.303 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online