Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe

1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90019

Hello, I`m looking at a 59 Herters Flying fish on the internet. Does this boat feature a wood core in transom and wood stringers under deck that will rot?
I found an old sales description from the Herters catalog that described the transom, more or less sounded like it was a solid FB transom wrapped in heavy gauge aluminum. So no wood in transom?

ANY opinions on this model boat will be welcome! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90031

The only place you will find wood in a 59 Herters is behind the dash. The transom and the stringers are aluminum.
D

Re: 1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90037

Brian Jetson,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90061

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
The transom was/is just a heavy fiberglass reinforced with cast aluminum bracing where the engine mounts. Stringers and seat frames are aluminum actually bolted through the hull. When I rebuilt a '59 Herters I put a 1 1/4" plywood transom in. The aluminum had a tendency to crack apart.

Re:1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90157

Thanks for all the replies! Any body know about how many 59 Flying Fish were made?
They want $3200. for boat and good trailer. The boat is in good condition. Sounds like I might get it for $2500. Hope I don't regret this... :(
I have a restored 59 14ft Crestliner Jetstreak that I use a lot and really enjoy. I took the Jetstreak (with 1991 25hp Johnson) all the way from Morehead City NC to Cape Lookout light house and back on less than 4 gallons of fuel. Of course I only do that with light wind and flat sea! Locals call it "that boat with tail lights)
I would share pics but I do not know how to reduce size of pics to load em.

Re:1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90161

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Brian, a couple of us do the ICW at Topsail maybe you could join us sometime. Also do you attend the Cape Fear boat show in April?
Oh, and welcome to the site.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90175

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Brian, dig through the "member projects" section of this forum. I think I had about a 20 page blow by blow on the rebuild of the Herters. Or do a search forum and you will probably find it. I bought that project for around $350. with the trailer and running 55 Merc. I sold it for $3800 looking like it came off a showroom floor.
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/member-projects/1959-herters-rebuild
it was #39415 on the member project forum.
Cal

Re:1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90224

Hi Al, The ICW is a nice smooth ride, count me in! Just give me a heads up when you have a date. My jetstreak is ready to go. Video of my boat on you tube under "Brian Jetson" Pics of my boat can be seen on the facebook crestliner jetstreak page. Boat is teal and white.
Never been to the CF boat show. Can you show your boat there? or is it all new boats only? I will do a search on it!
Thanks,
Brian

Re:1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90227

Cal, I did check out your excellent rebuild on the 59 Flying Fish!
Your hard work brought that boat from JUNK to a JEWEL! The new owners must be thrilled with it!

I closed the deal on my 59 F.Fish, and should be delivered to me ($700.) in NC from Miami this week. All I had to go on was a lot of close up pics. Most of the aluminum is bright and shiny (amazing) and the hull and top side look very well preserved. Transom has 4 holes in it, w/ no motor. Hopefully I just have to rig steering, rewire, find a motor/controls, bilge pump, install and go!
Hull is shiny black, top is flamingo pink and blue. I might repaint top a darker pink known as cameo corral, AKA corral mist. Ford used this black and dark pink in the mid 50`s
I`m addicted to tail fin boats, besides the ladies love em too!
Will keep y`all posted!
Brian

Re:1959 Herters Flying Fish deluxe 10 years 7 months ago #90232

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Brian Jetson wrote:
Never been to the CF boat show. Can you show your boat there? or is it all new boats only? I will do a search on it!
Thanks,
Brian[/quote]

Brian we would love to see you down there. The Cape Fear Community College Boat show is static. John shows his G3 and this year his Sedan. The Blue Ridge Chapter and RDC Chapters of the ACBS show their boats. Some local boat clubs and individuals It's a small but growing show about 70 boats. The College opens it Marine tech programs to the public for the show. Displays on Lofting, Boat design, Wood boat building and restoration, Fiberglass boat building, Marine electronics. A lot of neat stuff and a good Irish pub within walking distance. The proceeds from the show supports the Marine Tech program at the college

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login