• Page:

TOPIC: 1968 Hydrocycle

1968 Hydrocycle 14 years 8 months ago #90

• webmaster
  • webmaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So, moving forward:

I'm about to pull the hydrocycle out of my parents garage and had a question for anyone willing to chime in.

The motor is a 73 20hp merc. It has no controls at all and no external controls. They were trashed.

My plan is to hook a motorcycle throttle to it and I'm sure I can get one of those... but I"m interested on how many out there have done this type of hook up? The throttle on the motor doesn't seem to have a return spring. Any thoughts?

I'm sure I can use a traditional setup... but then I'll not be holding on with both hands.

THanks in advance,

Kelly
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1968 Hydrocycle 14 years 8 months ago #115

I think it would be safest to hook up a thumb throttle similar to a jetski or a snowmobile.

You could also add a return spring to the throttle arm on the motor. My concern would be in the event that fails then you are stuck on that thing with a wide open throttle.

The thumb throttles have a built in shutoff. It is wired so that if the throttle sticks it kills the ignition.

196? Glasspar G3
1976 Hydrostream Vector
1979 CeeBee Avenger
1986 Hydrostream Varmint
1989 Glastron Carlson CSS-19
2007 Stingray 220SX

Re:1968 Hydrocycle 14 years 8 months ago #194

• FINS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Kelly- We have been looking into this same question for the cycle we are building for my son (and myself!!). The biggest safety question I see is how to kill the motor if you fall off. A modern jetski does not have a transmission and if you fall goes to into a idle spin. The throttle return gets it slowed if you fall off but not stopped. I think it would be easy to add a light spring on the steering that would get it into a spin if you are not on board, but if it does not kill the motor you have a prop to deal with trying to get back on! We have floated ours and it would take quite a bit to flip it, but falling off is always a concern.

Here is the one we are restoring this winter. Any help with an ID would be great. The front looks more like an Aqua Looper from Canada, but the hull looks more like Hydrocycle. Not sure what we have, but it will be fun!

Re:1968 Hydrocycle 14 years 8 months ago #210

• webmaster
  • webmaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Nice looker there. I think that's a later Aqua loop. Del VanEmerik has one I think.

I was thinking of running a kill switch wrist band from the kill switch on the motor to the handle bars. Fall off = Motor dies. It shouldn't skip too far I'd assume without me on it.

I dunno

Re:1968 Hydrocycle 14 years 8 months ago #213

I think I'd look into an atv or snowmobile thumb throttle. Look and see what hook-up might work better. With a spring it would return to idle if left go of it. Best to put a clip kill switch on it.
Attachments:

Re:1968 Hydrocycle 14 years 8 months ago #215

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I am not sure how it is where you are but here in Alabama you MUST have a engine kill lanyard. I got a ticket on the 1968 clipper becasue it did not have one. I was under the impression that if it did not come with one, you did not need it.

:S $250 fine later I was proven wrong by the Game wardens, Alabama Marine police and A Circuit Judge. If it's a boat less than 24' it has to have a kill lanyard in Alabama and all PWC must have one.

Check the rules in your state. :silly:

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:1968 Hydrocycle 13 years 6 months ago #28413

I have two Hydrocycles that need a good home. One was "firebrand" metalflake and one is silver metalflake. Both are original. They were inside their whole lives until 2006. Now they need help. There are no motors. I have been working on these for 25 years and am very familiar with the inner workings.

The best part--THEY ARE FREE!!!

Come get them and don't delay. They MUST be gone in two weeks. I am an hour south of Chicago. There are no trailers. Sold the house and they can't come with me. If you are serious about taking them, I can provide pics.

Yes, they are 100% FREE!!!

Rob
call 815~926~2193

Re:1968 Hydrocycle 13 years 6 months ago #28431

Ill give you a call tomorrow... Im betting your pretty close. If nothing else I can store them until another wants to restore them (or my wife has her head turned)

Re:1968 Hydrocycle 13 years 6 months ago #28485

Rob,
Left you a message today.
Paul
312-933-0600

Re:1968 Hydrocycle 13 years 6 months ago #28640

I used a brake lever from a BMX bike. I put a reurn spring that pulls the magneto back to idle and also in stall a deadman lanyard. It works perfect.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6335 guests and one member online