• Page:

TOPIC: FORCE Motors

FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89874

• SteveH
  • SteveH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Of all the "newer" motors I see listed for sale the FORCE motors seem to be the most plentiful and the least expensive. Is there a problem with these motors? Who makes FORCE?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89875

SteveH wrote:

Of all the "newer" motors I see listed for sale the FORCE motors seem to be the most plentiful and the least expensive. Is there a problem with these motors? Who makes FORCE?

"Force outboard motors was produce by the U.S. Marine Inc. who bought the old Chrysler Outboard factory in the year 1980's based in Hartford, Wisconsin."

www.ask.com/question/who-manufactures-force-outboard-motors

"History

U.S. Marine Inc. began producing Force outboard motors in the early 1980s. The Chrysler outboard manufacturing facility in Hartford, Wisconsin, produced the first Force engines.

Appeal

Force Outboards offered a substantial price advantage to consumers because their basic, fully assembled design was not as technologically advanced as other major outboard brands. Their low price generated high sales and spurred an interest in boating in wide new market segments.

Aquisition by Brunswick

Brunswick Corporation bought U.S. Marine, Inc. in 1985. Brunswick's widespread manufacturing and market share lead to the proliferation of Force outboard motors at dealers across the United States and Canada.

Demise of the Force Brand

A diminished interest in recreational boating, imbalanced production costs and pending changes to federal marine engine production regulations lead Brunswick to discontinue the Force brand in 1999.

Force Owners Today

Force's abrupt disappearance from the marketplace left a considerable vacuum in maintenance and repair information for the numerous boat owners who had purchased Force products over the years."

www.ehow.com/facts_5538750_force-outboards.html

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89876

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
WOW! Okay with all that info aside, are they worth what they are selling for? Do they break often? If they break often what breaks and can it be avoided?

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89878

They are a simpler motor and some folks just love that concept.----Others will say that they are junk.
If you think you want one and can do some of the maintenance yourself they can be an economical choice.----Before buying one you really should do a compression test AND take the boat for a spin on the lake !

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89879

When Chrysler asked for a Government bailout, the government required the company to rid itself of non-core auto businesses.
They had to sell their boat and engine companies.

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89882

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Sounds like they got out of the boat motor business way back in the early 80's.

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89887

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
SteveH wrote:

Steve,

Listen to the Professor, Check it out. Also please note that the early Force motor was a Chrysler design. After Brunswick bought Force the later motors were built by Mercury Marine. Folks who have the Merc designed motor love them. They are heavily favored in the Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries by oyster harvesters and commercial fishermen. As they say they are cheap to buy and they run.

It's worth a look.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89889

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
When did Mercury start building them? After what year should I be looking?

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89895

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Professor is SO right. Check them thoroughly, feed them quality oil, keep them maintained, they are as reliable as any other high dollar motor out there. Remember, many were sold on Bayliner boats to neophytes who never owned a boat before, and found out too late what maintainance was. Many old Chryslers and West Bends (Chrysler's predecessor) are still in service because of people who cared for them.

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89923

I've got a '90 35 hp Force on my pontoon that my grandparents ordered brand new on it. Even though this was their third or fourth pontoon, I suspect they picked it for the reason exactly as mentioned, because cheaper than the alternative.

I must say, it has held up well. I don't ask a lot of it, but it has been very reliable. Replaced the original spark plugs two years ago as well as rebuilt the lower unit likely for the first time last year. The lower unit rebuild needed nothing more than seals and new oil, and all gears looked good. I always make sure to run it with sufficient oil mix and all has been well. It smokes some on startup and has had some difficulty cold starting the last few years, but generally it isn't a problem. Keeping a good battery on it is my biggest challenge.

When rebuilding the lower unit, this one is challenging because it uses a connecting rod for the gear changes that MUST be removed to remove the lower unit. By doing that, the alignment changes slightly. I actually didn't have forward gear the first time I launched it because the adjustment just wasn't enough, but luckily it's an easy adjustment.

1958 Cutter Avon 17', '59 Johnson Fat Fifty, Yellow on Yellow, original Riverdale trailer
1990 Harris Sunliner 200SX pontoon, '90 Force 35, Blue on Blue, '98 Hoosier trailer

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89924

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I had a Force (mid '80's I believe) 9.9hp on my first boat - an aluminum fishing rig legal in the state parks here. The gang has once again given excellent advise IMHO. I started out with a tired old Merc 9.? that was in dire need of maintenance and love, got very hard to start. "Upgraded" to a Johnson 9 1/2 "lowrider" in not much better shape, then a Johnson 9.9 (newer) that had been reconditioned (but not very well!) It threw a rod out the side of the block when one of the re-used rod bolts snapped. The Force looked brand new inside and out, so I took a chance on it for $300. Best money spent up to that point!

If you find one in good condition that's been maintained properly they are a great motor. Mine never gave me a minute's worth of trouble, wish I'd have never sold it to be honest.

Just my two cents....... ;)

Mark

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89926

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I would look at late 80"s and 90's vintage as Mercury Marine is a company owned by Brunswick At least at that time.

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89930

I worked in a Force dealership from 1985 through 1993 and the early outboards were simple, low budget, no frills motors that worked well. Like it was said earlier all Bayliner outboards were packaged with Force in those days to be price competitive so there were a load of them out there. When Brunswick bought them they really did nothing to change them until the '91 - '92 model year when they introduced the Mercury style ignition on the larger models as well as the trim and lower units. The issue today is the ignition and trim components for the pre 1991 models since there does not seem to be any aftermarketers remaking the ignition components and a complete change over can be spendy. I know guys that buy blown up Force 85 & 125 motors and part them out on eBay and an ignition system coils, CD, trigger and stator) can fetch up to $400.00 and more. The later, post 1991, Force ignition systems are still supported by Merc / Quicksilver so may be a better deal for futire maintenance. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

Re:FORCE Motors 10 years 7 months ago #89936

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
So 91 and later it is. Unfortunately don't see many of those around.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online