• Page:

TOPIC: What is the best motor?

What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89629

• SteveH
  • SteveH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm sure there will be several correct answers to this question. Being new to vintage boats I need to speed up the learning curve a bit. My 59 GlassCraft came with the Mercury 78A. From what I understand it is a dockbuster with no neutral. I'm sure this is a decent engine with good power but I'm not the only person who will be operating this boat. Is there a better "period" motor for all around general use? I need something dependable and it'll probably just be used putt putting around the lake. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89630

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
The "dockbusters" are tricky to get used to and must be in tip top shape to operate correctly. If you want to stick with a period motor a Merc Mark 55 is simple and parts are available.
OMC/Evenrude-Johnson are simple dependable easy to work on motors. Mostly all are held together with 1/4" bolts and slotted screws for easy maintenance. No special tools required to change water impellers etc. Most parts are still available at dealers, seem they never go out of style.
Just my opin.
Cal

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89631

I'll echo Cal in that the JohnnyRudes (Johnson/Evinrudes) are easy to work and are fairly bullet proof. The Merc's are great motors but a little quirky to work on if you've never done it before and they do require a few special tools depending on what you need to fix/replace. Being that other folks other than yourself will be using it you may want to get something other than the dockbuster. They take some practice to get use to. Other folks will jump in with their opinions. Take it all and and make you best judgement using the info you get.

Bob

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89633

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks, the more I look into it the more I come to the same conclusion. The others who will be using it are female with no mechanical ability. I'll mount the original motor in the shop somewhere in case the general use changes or the next owner wants it. Like I said I'll just cruise around the lake and stop at a few restaurants, etc. No skiing or tube pulling. Is there a motor that is more economical to run? I will have to haul gas to the rig as there are no on water filling stations

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89635

• STN19
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
johnson all the way ;)

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89636

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Here's my two cents. I feel that the easiest vintage outboard to operate is the Johnson electric shift. You have one lever for throttle and gearshift to deal with. Forward-neutral-reverse. Some people say they give trouble,but if you use the correct oil in the LU and keep the water out of it they give great service. I've had three and still have two. I've had great service with these units since 1976.You have a choice of 1962-68 40hp, 75,85,90 and 100hp. I can't remember if the 60hp was available with electric shift or not. And like waterwings said, they are easy to work on,even the electric LU. For your boat,I'd say the 40 would be a good choice.It has pretty good fuel economy too. www.old-omc.de/j_1962/seite_05.jpg

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89637

I would go with a Mercury mark 55, I believe they are a little bit more fuel efficient than the johnsons or evinrudes. Plus in my opinion there is no better looking motor than an old mercury. Disclaimer, I live about 15 miles from the merc factory in Fond Du Lac.

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89639

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Sounds like there are a lot of really good options. What about Royal Scott and Sea Kings?

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89642

i run both OMC and Merc. If you are going to let a lot of othjer people run the boat I would go with a 58 or newer OMC. Pre 1958 OMC you killed the motor by choking it out.(aka flooding it)in warm weather you would have problems restarting the motor right away.

I get better hrs per gallon on my OMC Bigtwins then I get with my Marks 55s however there is a 5 hp diff ("as it said in the books").

Just remember that most merc came with a charging system if it had elect start where on a OMC it was a add on and many did not go for the price. However a Bigtwin has unloaders on the Cyl that made/makes pulling the rope a lot easier when the starter fails.

Parts for the Bigwins are easier to get and a lot cheaper.

I am in the processed of getting a min of 12 Bigtwind 6 Mark 55 4 Mark 35 and 2 Mark 78As running for our "Red River Flotilla" in 2016. Most will be on boats however some will be spare for in case we have a problem we can just switch out motors and work on it later

Scotts are hard to find parts for. and Seaking was built by Gale ...Gale was own by OMC In fact Gale was the line that OMC tried the "new thing" on first before putting them on Evinrude and Johnson

CAVU

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89659

I had a Merc and loved it. But I now have a Johnson and Evenrude and a Honda. The Honda is not old and great on gas but a pain in the ass because the carb plugs up even when using fuel conditioners. My Johnnyrudes are very easy to work on. The cover will be the next project.
Attachments:

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89663

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Why does the Honda carb plug up? Are there any 50's period 4 stroke motors out there?

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89685

The alcohol they stick in our gas. Now they are talking about bumping up from another 5%. UGGGG

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89699

The older two strokes are more forgiving than the new four strokes when it come to the new gas but don't get me wrong, it's bad for all motors!!!!!!!!!!!! The Johnson/Evinrude 40's were great all around motors.

Bob

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89752

Steve,

I'm not sure which model Glass Craft that is - did you measure it? If it's over 16 feet, it's best to have 60 or more HP behind it. If you load people in it, it takes power to plane out a boat full of people. Old motors are only good for people that are willing and able to do a bit of tinkering with them. You have to tinker with all old motors - and if that is a deal breaker, get a new motor. A well preserved and maintained mercury or OMC engine would be the best bet in the vintage group. Other motors like the Scott /McColloch, Chrysler, etc. motors were good - but service parts are all but extinct. Homelite-Bearcat 55HP from the 60s were the only vintage 4 cycle produced. Unless you have to run a 4 cycle, you will get way more performance from a 2 cycle. The modern 4 cycle engines from all the brands are VERY heavy.

Re: What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89755

SteveH,

A Mark 78A is a GREAT motor IF you are experienced with it.
(I had a pair of them on a CarterCraft in the early 1960s, with NO problem.)
Otoh, I wouldn't let a "neophyte" run a boat with a direct-reverse OB.

IF your boat will handle the HP & weight, an F-model, 4-cycle, Bearcat 55 is hard to beat for economy of operation, longevity, simplicity & just plain TOUGHNESS.
(I know a commercial fisherman in Galveston, TX who has run an F-model since it was new with nothing more than routine maintenance.)

My choice for most applications, considering everything, though is an OMC "BIG TWIN".

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89764

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Of the newer "affordable" motors does anyone have any suggestions? It has the 70 hp merc on it now so I don't really want to go too low on HP. Are there motors that I should stay away from no matter how cheap i can pick one up?
Thanks
SteveH

Re:What is the best motor? 10 years 7 months ago #89768

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Of the newer motors,I'd say a 75hp 3cyl OMC would be a good choice.I've heard a lot of good things on those. Someone else with personal experience hopefully chime in.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online