Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Buehler Jet 35 Update

Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 8 months ago #89407

Finally primed the Jet 35 yesterday. After a lot of prep work, fiberglass repairs and sanding, we gave it the primer coat. I built a tent with over my gantrys and washed the boat down, vaccumed then blew air around it, and then tacked everything. I had a firend of mine come ove to spray while I held on to the airline. With all of the contours and how the boat was designed, it was a bit of an ergonmic puzzle. We did a run through to get a feel for how we need to be positioned. There are a lot of transitions from the inside to the outside of the hull. We put on two coats of Interlux Pre-Kote. I was amazed at how well it covered and stretched out. Two fairly heavy coats revealed a few areas that will need attention, so I will fair those out with Formula 27 before the final coats of paint. I am very happy with all of the repaired areas as they were faired out nicely and you cannot see what was done.
I will let this cure for a few days and then scuff and lightly sand for the final painting coats. I was glad to be able to hold the lighting and airline as it would be a tough job doing it yourself. My painter friend was glad to have the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89450

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sounds like you've got a good plan of attack there Hornet, any chance we could get some pics? ;)

Mark

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89471

we nned pictures cause i have to do the same thing i am priming my wood walls right now with pre kote.

\billy

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89472

I have a ton of photos on my I Phone, can I send them to someone to upload?

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89478

sure, you can use my FG listed email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89490

In no particular order, sorry, my photobucket acct jumbled them & no titles:

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89491

And in primer:

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89492

JB Curt, pictures are sent to your email as I am not too computer savvy! I hope that you can add them to this post to show some of the progress thus far. I have to tell you that this is quite an experience doing this glass thing. All of my experience has previously been with woodies. After talking to a lot of friends in the business, reading everyones posts on here and the restoration ariticles by Jamie Mehdi on here gave me a pretty good understanding. I had a lot of stress cracks in the gel coat in all of the usual suspected areas. Corners, fittings, dash, etc. After 53 years, it is to be expected. I had one severe gash in the hull side that looked like it came from a steel dock post. It had perforated the hull side close to the gunnel with about 7" of repaired area. Luckily, I was able to make my glass matting repairs of this underneat the gunnel from the inside to build up sthe strength and glass the outside of the hull to fair.
I attacked all of the stress cracks with hand held pneumatic die grinder and chased all of every stress crack that I could find. I then filled all of those with Duraglass and sanded until I could see straight. Filled some more and sanded more...A lot more. The engine box was probably the most work as it was badly crazed on all four corners. Getting the contours sculpted back was a lot of work, but I have to admit, it was addictive! I just kept at it until it got to where I felt that it was in the correct form from every angle, and felt smooth as well.
My buddy who sprayed it Saturday got in the boat and we did a "run through" on what sequence we would use to acutally paint as this hull has a molded deck that includes the seating all in one. We wanted to keep a wet edge yet keep it all flowing.
All in all, we had one drag of the airline on the deck, but that was the first coat and we filled it in on the second coat, a bit of sanding and we wont be able to see it. Feeling good to be this far along. Picked up some Evercoat glazing putty today, Wow, $38 for the can! Will go over every inperfection that I can find tonight and then start the final sanding in a few nights as I want the Pre_Kote to cure a bit more before I sand. Will scuff the contours and lightly sand other areas of glazing repairs. My paint guy left for Florida on this sub zero day for some R and R, that gives me a month to get the interior ready and hull ready for final Brightsides paint. Now, if I could find a new winshield to replace the cracked one! Whew...Its a long ride!

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89493

72hornet wrote:

JB Curt, pictures are sent to your email

And posted ;)

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89497

Thanks JB! Appreciate your help!

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89499

your welcome

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89508

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking good Royce! I wish the photos were larger so I could focus on each and every part of that beauty. What is your estimated completion date?

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89510

Rick, I am hoping for early summer. I have a few tasks to complete before then. My painter will be back in early March to shoot the final coats, so I have some time to finish sand and prep for that. Here is what I have left to complete..
1. Clean fuel tank and reseal inside
2. Install in-line Fuel Filter/Water Separator
3. Mill, stain and varnish wood coaming boards
4. I am checking in to having a new windshield fabricated, may try to do that myself.
5. Polish aluminum rubrail, it is all in good shape, so no worries there.
6. I have opted to carpet the boat to offer greater comfort and eliminate vibration noises from Engine Box etc,
7. Fabricate insulation panels for inside the motor box.
8. Intall all of the hardware and fit to the new trailer....
Can you make Mount Dora? If not, you will need to stop by Okoboji on your way back to Big Stone!

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89518

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
72hornet wrote:

Whew...Its a long ride!

I know it seems like it, but the rewards for all your efforts now will be worth it in the long run IMHO. For what it's worth, I think you're on the right track to have a real head-turner when she's finished. Thanks for sharing the pics and description of the process, and special thanks to JBCurt for helping with the pics! ;)

Mark

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89638

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Royce,
Everything depends on how things I spoke to you about pan out here. It isn't looking good for either at this point.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89640

Bummer Rick, I understand how life can be sometimes. This afternoon I made the side coaming boards from a chunk of mohagony that my buddy had. He also has some nice marine plywood that I will make the cabinet doors and panels on the back side of the front seat frames. (that is my resto-mod portion of the boat). Will hopefully have those built and dry fit over the weekend. Will also stain and get going on the varnishing. It is getting to the fun part as things are starting to come together. Thanks to JBCurt, a few pictures of the coaming boards will be added later.
I was thinking about the future and if someone will take this thing apart again, so I signed the back side of each board and dated them. Who knows, maybe the next guy will get a kick out of seeing that!

Re:Buehler Jet 35 Update 10 years 7 months ago #89641

72hornet wrote:

Bummer Rick, I understand how life can be sometimes. This afternoon I made the side coaming boards from a chunk of mohagony that my buddy had. He also has some nice marine plywood that I will make the cabinet doors and panels on the back side of the front seat frames. (that is my resto-mod portion of the boat). Will hopefully have those built and dry fit over the weekend. Will also stain and get going on the varnishing. It is getting to the fun part as things are starting to come together. Thanks to JBCurt, a few pictures of the coaming boards will be added later.
I was thinking about the future and if someone will take this thing apart again, so I signed the back side of each board and dated them. Who knows, maybe the next guy will get a kick out of seeing that!

I did something similar ^^^ on the back side of the transom plywood on an aluminum boat. So it'll hopefully be there in 50yrs when someone needs to replace the epoxy encapsulated plywood.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online