Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: OMC Red Plug

OMC Red Plug 10 years 8 months ago #88995

Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. Let me start by saying that I own a 1956 Kimball Belvedere. Never heard of one? Nobody else has either. I've been searching for even a mention for about 3 years. Nothing. I got it out of a barn. It's been stored since 1958. Not exactly what I was looking for, but how can a sane man pass up a boat that was only out a few times that's been in a barn for over half a century. It's glass. Black hull / white cap. I've restored a few glassics over the years, but I am not exactly restoring this one. I'm making it the way I want it. I am keeping it as pure as possible otherwise. Anyhow. the motor was stolen in 1959. I purchased a used 1988 88SPL by Evinrude to try out. I've almost got it up to speed. I purchased a OMC control box off of eBay.It's from the 80's and fits well with what I am doing. I was just wrapping up some of my wiring projects the other day when I noticed a hard spot in the loom about 12" from the red plug. I took note and did see any reason for alarm at the time.In hind sight, I am getting a little nervious. I was planning on putting fire to the wire in the next few days, but have decided to look into the hard spot a little further. In doing so. I searched for an answer as to how I could check it out on the internet. Maybe I am not using the correct phrasing. I've come up short. I thought that I would do a continuity check at the red plug. I find that (2) sockets have 100% continuity, and they aslo have partial continuity with (2) others. All in all, I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling. Of course I can split the loom and get a fast answer, but at present, I would prefer an opinion or a lead from a more knowlegible person than myself. Bottom line is: There isn't a part of a motor that I can't duplicate. I was a master machinist for 30 years or so. Ask me how it works. Don't have a clue. Thanks for your consideration. Monte (Cloverdale, CA)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: OMC Red Plug 10 years 8 months ago #88996

montespringer,

WELCOME ABOARD.

NOPE, never even heard of that boat BUT if anybody knows, they likely will be HERE.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: OMC Red Plug 10 years 8 months ago #89008

I have a record circa 1960 of Kimball Mfg. Corp., a boat-builder in San Rafael, CA. Address was Harbor At Mill Streets. Would be great to see a photo of your boat if you have one available.

The good folks at the Antique Outboard Motor Club may be of more assistance with your wiring. Lots of current and retired marine mechanics there: www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=askamember

Re: OMC Red Plug 10 years 8 months ago #89066

Thanks for the vote satx. Good quote too. Our founders had amazing foresight. Monte

Re: OMC Red Plug 10 years 8 months ago #89069

Thanks H.A. I'll definitely get back to you on the lead. Regarding the wiring, it's not the end of the world. It's probably a smart idea for me to split the loom and be certain. Regarding photos, I intend to publish a few when I get it wrapped up. It's getting close. There will even be a couple of mods that I intend to do beyond wrapping it up.It just has to be to the point that I deem acceptable. It's such a simple design, it could never be a show piece. In hindsight, I wish that I still had my '59 BellBoy Cruiser. Monte

Re:OMC Red Plug 10 years 8 months ago #89070

monte,

I can't help with the technical info that you seek.

But if you will allow me, I can offer advice on making your posts easier to read. Breaking things into paragraphs is easier on the eyes.

Some of us have trouble knowing which line we are reading with all of the text in a large group.

Thanks

Re:OMC Red Plug 10 years 8 months ago #89075

Old wiring, GRRRR. Welcome aboard.

Re:OMC Red Plug 10 years 8 months ago #89433

I appreciate the offer regarding the wiring. I ended up splitting the loom. Still not sure as to why there is a hard spot. The wires are in tact. I routed the wires the way I want to see them and I bought some cloth tape to re-wrap them and make them presentable. I plugged everything together and put some fire to the wire. It took a few minutes, but started.
The carb bowl was drained a few years ago, so it was a dry start. It seems to be coming together. I do get an alarm when I first turn the key. It goes away before I hit the starter. I've read a little about various alarms. I will have a qualified mechanic give it a going over before I add water.

Thank you very much.
Monte

Re:OMC Red Plug 10 years 8 months ago #89439

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I like the cloth tape also. It mimics what was used in the 60's and some in the 70's and back in automotive and marine. It has the advantage of not sealing up so tight water cant get out. Modern plastic electrical tape seals but no matter how careful you are there is going to be that one spot water is going to seep in and there it sits looking for a way in to corrode the wires.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online