• Page:

TOPIC: What I've been up too

What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88611

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Ok, so I haven't made any posts of my own for a while so here goes. After reading the thread regarding winter storage I decided to get the Billboard Sign vinyl, 20'x25', was actually only $50 and considering the $35 gray ones have only lasted a year at beast I figured money well spent. I used 3/4" PVC down the middle with 1/2" PVC for the frame sides. The 1/2" bends easier with out breaking. I made glued a few strategic straps at each side brace to keep it from shifting. Also glued some longer sleeves to the top to hold the 3/4" so it won't shift around.

I recessed the side braces into 2"x4"s with galvanized bugle head screws put through them so they won't lift out, then I used 3/4" black spikes from Lowes, the ones with staggered holes in them, and pounded them into the ground, through holes I drilled into the 2"x4"s. Shouldn't go anywhere in the wind now. It's been up for about 2 weeks now and no problems (knock on wood)! LOL

I now have the Century in the shed so I can get started on restoring her. Sorry the pics is a little washed out due to the bright sun behind me.

It wasn't easy getting the boats moved. It's been so darn wet here that the ground was too soggy to use the lawn tractor/boat mover I made. I couldn't get any traction, darn turf saver tires really do save it! LOL I guess I'll need to get some chains since I still want to use it for the lawn.

I had to finally have a buddy come over with a John Deer with a hitch on the front bucket, like Ron's, to come in and move them for me. Tractor never got stuck but sure made a mess of the soggy area. We dragged the bucket across it to knock it down some. I think I'm going to give up on the lawn idea there and just put down some gravel like in front of the shed. I can probably use the truck then. Tried using it before I called my buddy and ended up getting it stuck! Guess I should have gotten the 4 wheel drive model after all, the heck with the gas mileage. ;)

I'm now working on building the cradle to put the Century in to do the restorations finally. well that's the the Admiral says, "you finally going to get started n restoring that wood boat?"

Bob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88624

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
That looks like a great idea,Bob. Beautiful boats also.

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88626

Bob,
That looks good !
If you ever need to use bigger sized PVC, go get yourself a Harbor Freight propane torch w/igniter. I heat up the PVC pipe on the driveway until it gets a glossy look (don't heat in one place too long.I wave the heat, and roll the pipe every once in a while)
At that glossy point it's like a wet noodle, and you can bend it into any shape you want. I use drywall as a form (because it's easy to draw on, easy to cut, it's cheap, won't start on fire and after you're done with it, it's great soil amendment for the garden.) Once hot bend the PVC to the desired shape or arc. I place bricks against the PVC to hold it against the form as it cools. I've also placed the end fittings on the pipe ends to keep the ends from burning and egging out.

FWI, a 10 foot piece of 3/4" of PVC, takes about 2 to 4 minutes to get hot enough. 1" takes a lot longer and tends to sag and egg the ends, that's why I use a sacrifice coupling fitting on the end.

I use that torch for everything, from lighting the fire pit, to burning weeds along the fence line.
Example: of the bent PVC Up front of the boat
Attachments:

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88631

Where did you get your cover material from?? Nice job. I have a feeling I'll be needing a cover for my new one. I'm not impressed with it at all.

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88632

www.billboardtarps.com/
Someone else @FG posted it in a thread @here somewhere

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88661

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jim, thanks appreciate it.

Chuck, great info thanks. If the 1/2" doesn't work out I'll upgrade to your method.

Robert, it's the billboard material at the site JB posted. The one I got is 3 ply 17 mil thick and is suppose to last up to 5 years easy. UV protectant also. Getting our first real snow in three years so should be interesting how it holds up. I'll let you know.

Bob

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88667

Thanks I'd love to know. I would just reuse my Shelter Logic frame.
Attachments:

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88679

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well the new boat storage works fin for wind and rain but not so much for snow. Sorry no pics. It was dark when i went out to shovel the driveway before going to work. That's when I discovered the problem. I guess there was just enough flat surface for the snow to stay on it and not slide off. It didn't break any of the PVC just bent it with the weight of the snow. The tarp material is great! Not problems with it. I did design it so the the smooth side was out. (There's actually a smooth side and a rough side so to speak. The rough side is waffley due to the fiber mesh between the vinyl layers.) I had to crawl into the boat and push the center up to get the snow to fall off. Unfortunately I bounced it up and down a little instead of just standing up and holding it there so I broke one of the center PVC cross joints. no big deal though only cost a couple of bucks and I'll be back in business. guess I should have gone out and checked it last night when I had a gut feeling. Oh well live and learn. ;)

Bob

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88681

Modify your centerline PVC to include some 3way tees instead of 2way couplers. Then run a 4 vertical legs down to the boat's deck. 1 as far forward & aft as possible, then 2 spaced out evenly in between. You can use another tee as a foot on each vertical leg to help spread the load. That also allows you to run a length of pvc between the feet to keep the verticals spaced out & helps prevent them shifting and no longer supporting the centerline ridge.

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88708

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
JB, thanks the center lines are actually connected with 4 way couplers. Good idea though so what I did do was buy a couple of 3/4" tees and drilled them all the way through for 3/4". Basically drilled out the stops in the middle then cut them in half. Now I can put them up against the top pipe anywhere I need them. Thanks for the idea.

Bob

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88709

You're welcome.
John

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88717

I re-read my post about using drywall as a form. The form is only 1/2" thick drywall, laid flat on the driveway. it acts like a curb stop against a tire. No need build up the thickness to the mid point of the PVC.
I've made my shelter out of 1" PVC, only as high and wide as I needed for the trailer, and boat height. I use drywall screws thru the sides at the fittings in case I ever want to take it apart. It has held up very well, even in 7" of snow.
(very rare Cincy gets any more than that at one time?)

I did have one problem in a wind storm. 50+ MPH wind gusts. I didn't tie the end arches to the ground, and the wind twisted the shelter and broke a "T" and cross fitting, which sucks, because those fitting are not cheap.
Also the good thing about heat bending the PVC.... you only need heat the length you need to bend, the rest of the pipe will stay ridged.

Honestly ? I think 1/2" PVC is too light for a structure that high. But your fix may work, better then I think ?

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88742

There is a Co here in Houston off I 10 (Houston Billboards) that sell used signs I buy them for $25 to $50. 14' X 24' to 26' X 80'

Black or white on the back side They all are larger than what they say because they give the painted area as the size. there is a foot or 2 on each size that is not painted. Some have holes and inserts in the edge and some have pockets, others are just raw.

We sometime glue and cut them to make tarps as we need them to cover hay, building materials etc

CAVU

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88760

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
TT, yeah the one I bought was fresh and had not been used for a sign yet so no pockets etc. I had to make my own. I only did it on the ends, the rest are just straps to keep the side supports from moving around too much.

Chuck,
We'll see how it works with the new supports. I honestly hadn't figured the snow problem in since we haven't had any real snow accumulation here in about 3 years. I can always redo the support system if it really become a problem.

Bob

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #88806

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John,
I should have mentioned that it has to be that high so the windshield will fit under it. The mahogany windshield frame goes up pretty high, it actually rubbed the top when we backed it in.

Bob

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #89026

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Those billboard tarps are GREAT- The guy that I used to live across the street from was a salesman for an advertising company, so I had an endless supply of them... Most were either only slightly used or misprints- And USUALLY beer ads! They last a long time, for sure.

Re:What I've been up too 10 years 8 months ago #89033

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Andrew good to know they last a long time. Haven't heard from ya in a while, been busy I'm assuming! ;)

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online