Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Paint Chip Samples for Topside Paint

Paint Chip Samples for Topside Paint 10 years 8 months ago #88427

Does anyone know where I can get paint sample charts made with real paint for topside paint.

I want to paint the my boat this spring. I'm hoping to find paint that is close to the color that it is now so I can just paint above the rub rail.

I don't know of any places local to by paint for boats, so I might have to by it online and I don't trust the colors that I see on the screen.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Paint Chip Samples for Topside Paint 10 years 8 months ago #88429

Ryanflathead45,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Ask on: www.duckworksmagazine.com - A member there has REAL paint samples.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Paint Chip Samples for Topside Paint 10 years 8 months ago #88433

A slight variation from the color below the rub rail wouldn't be noticeable to most of the viewing public, esp when in the water.

IMHO, I'd suggest you find a paint system that suits you, your boat, your budget & your skill level. Then pick a color. If you aren't prepared to spray a super hard, possibly finicky, catalyzed 2part epoxy paint, even though the 'correct' color, you may not be able to use it.

Re: Paint Chip Samples for Topside Paint 10 years 8 months ago #88437

Sooo, the Hull and the cap are the same color??? Unless the Hull is still in very good condition and not faded when you paint the cap you're not gunna match the hull color no matter what. A lot of the members have used Rustoleum Pro Oil Based Acrylic enamel Paint and added the Acrylic Enamel Hardener to it and acheived outstanding, durable results. You can mix your own colors and get about any color in the rainbow. I got a 57 chevy blue mixing Ford Tractor Blue and White. Came out GREAT!!!! Very High Gloss and Durable too!!!

Re:Paint Chip Samples for Topside Paint 10 years 8 months ago #88462

Yeah the whole boat is red with a white strip down the side.

The paint is not really faded. It was painted probably 15 years ago by my grandpa. The sides of the boat look just like they did years ago. But from the rub rail up there are areas where the paint has bubbled up and some has flaked off.

I have read good reviews about roll and tip process using the Rustoleum topside paint. That is the direction I'm leaning, but I'm still wandering how well it really holds up with real use

Re:Paint Chip Samples for Topside Paint 10 years 8 months ago #88464

Really well when you add the acrylic enamel.

Re:Paint Chip Samples for Topside Paint 10 years 8 months ago #88596

Yep, no need to go to the extra expense of using the "TopSide" paint. The Normal Rustoleum Pro Oil Based Paint you can buy at Lowes will do the trick. You add 2 oz of Acrylic Enamel Hardener Per Quart of Paint and you'll be amazed at the Gloss and how hard the paint will get. It's pretty amazing. I recommend that you check out the Majic line of paint from Tracto Supply. It's basically the same as Rustoleum and it has all the products you need to do the job.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online