• Page:

TOPIC: Old Duratech....Restore ?

Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #88330

• OldeSalt
  • OldeSalt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, newbie here, found this old girl about an hour from me. Owner says its a 'Custom Royal' ? I absolutely LOVE finned boats and won't leave this earth without owning one. I have a few favorites but with their rarity, one can't be picky. Info still trickling in, what I know so far is: no winshield, steering wheel needs help and maybe 2 pieces of trim missing. And the interior, obviously. I'm about 2/3's done with my 1st resto ('79 CVX 16) that I've thoroughly enjoyed, so I have an idea what's involved. Can some of you guys school me on this boat some ? trying to determine if I should take this on or not. Like to see some pics of what they look like orig or restored. You know, make sure this is worth the beatdown the ole lady may inflict on me lol
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #88332

Unless the gelcoat is completely toast, it looks to be a worthwhile project. Windshield can be fabricated, other trim may be adapted to fit.

Finding the correct year & model trim may be a challenge, or take a very very long time.

Since it's not my time or my money, sure restore it, asap so I can see it underway under it's own power.

Re:Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #88336

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Went to Duras web site and did not see any pics of that hull,so that would be a sign for me to go ahead and restore her.Duratech was known for there aluminum hulls with the chip guard finish [duratech] so a glass one should stick out real nicely.CC1000 and myself have quite a few Taylor glass shields from that era so if you decide to go that route get some measurements and give a shout out. I personally like that style boat without the shield,gives it more of a custom 50's look IMHO.Any idea what the condition of the stringers or transom is in ? If the transom is bad you may have to pop the top to get at it cleanly,can't tell from the angle of the picture.Def a keeper.................

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #88340

didn't realize how much a duratech and a 57/58 glass magic skimaster sr look alike....wouldn't be surprised if the trim didn't fit!!

Re:Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #88350

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
oldesalt, were are you located at? and welcome aboard. yes fins are cool. frog

Re:Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #88351

• OldeSalt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. @ jb and Mr88, the cond of the gelcoat and 50 year old wood are not deal breakers here, something that can't be 'remade' is my main concern. @ redfish, they also made those 'glass magic boats too from what I read. Made in Peekskill NY. I may take a little road trip, defintely intrigued with what this little classic can be. I know the windshield might be most challenging part but not impossible, thanks for the heads up Mr88. These pics here the owner sent me from a flip phone soooo...
I really appreciate all the advice guys, she deserves a better fate than this. I also don't wanna get too ahead of myself, this is NOT the same as restoring something from the 70's as I'm currently doing.
Attachments:

Re:Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #88355

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Steering wheels are pretty generic if you get the right time period. The board on the transom could be for a 20" motor vs the 15 that it was built for. or the transom is shot and that was the fix. I am leaning towards the 20" and if it was caulked correctly you lucked out. The top would have to come off unless you poured instead of wood.I like the molded in seats as well as the stern "trunk area" that makes for a cool look and unseen storage area below.If I restored her I probably would go a different route with the transom grab handles or lose them all together,doesn't flow with the rest of the hull IMHO.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #88356

• OldeSalt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
We'll, doing a little digging around I found this late 50's Glass Magic, wouldn't be surprised if it belongs to one of the members here. It looks a lot like this and I LIKE IT ! So....Let's see where this is gonna go, I need a few days to process....
Attachments:

Re:Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #88364

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:Old Duratech....Restore ? 10 years 8 months ago #89147

I think it is very sharp. Love the lines from the back

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online