Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: observation at the boat show today

observation at the boat show today 10 years 9 months ago #88166

ok just got back from the boat show, and i noticed that there are aot of different brands but all of them look alot alike, most everything i saw was bow riders, walk thru windshields heavy on skiing with the towers with the speakers and all, most have a helm seat then a passenger seat facing the other way. not a seat that can swivel around but a stationary seat. some have a access from the front with a boarding ladder coming out of a hatch. the big thing is the name of the model in ten inch letters that glows in the dark and lights up down the side of the boat. there is nothing to distinguish one from the other if you take the name off the side. the big cruisers are ok but the center consoles are beginning to run together. that is part of what i like about the old girls you can find fins and cabins and hull shapes to give a sense that people wanted to stand out from the other models. you dont find that now. it is all the add ons that catches your eye . just a observation i made. i dont want to spend 25,000,00 dollars to own a boat that looks like the one down the street. im sorry i may be odd.

billy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 9 months ago #88167

Going to the Toronto boat show for the first time in thirty years. Was hoping to get some ideas for a paint job . Does not seem to be many choices . Seams on our lake every one has a Legend or pontoon boat . Cannot wait to get my 13ft unknown name 3point hull with 1988 evinrude 60hp on the back on the water just so I can be different.

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 9 months ago #88168

i'll join you in being odd...cap-n billybob wrote:

ok just got back from the boat show, and i noticed that there are aot of different brands but all of them look alot alike, most everything i saw was bow riders, walk thru windshields heavy on skiing with the towers with the speakers and all, most have a helm seat then a passenger seat facing the other way. not a seat that can swivel around but a stationary seat. some have a access from the front with a boarding ladder coming out of a hatch. the big thing is the name of the model in ten inch letters that glows in the dark and lights up down the side of the boat. there is nothing to distinguish one from the other if you take the name off the side. the big cruisers are ok but the center consoles are beginning to run together. that is part of what i like about the old girls you can find fins and cabins and hull shapes to give a sense that people wanted to stand out from the other models. you dont find that now. it is all the add ons that catches your eye . just a observation i made. i dont want to spend 25,000,00 dollars to own a boat that looks like the one down the street. im sorry i may be odd.

billy

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 9 months ago #88170

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Think about it, .............. all cars have been looking the same for quite a while. Same with the trucks. They have a design that works, is efficient on gas, safety considerations are abundent, and they go thru the wind tunnels the same. You should expect the same crap from the boating industry. Very boring except for a few sports vehicles (CORVETTE) that are outside of the norm. That is why we love the old cars, trucks and boats. They were all unique in their own way. You could tell what they were and you would shout out their names from the side of the road or the shore, .................. now they all look the same, ............. think about it .............

Regards,
StevieB

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 9 months ago #88177

• STN19
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
hodgify wrote:

Going to the Toronto boat show for the first time in thirty years. Was hoping to get some ideas for a paint job . Does not seem to be many choices . Seams on our lake every one has a Legend or pontoon boat . Cannot wait to get my 13ft unknown name 3point hull with 1988 evinrude 60hp on the back on the water just so I can be different.

I went last year very disappointed, I spent an hour in the vintage boat section which consisted of 4 boats!! haha the rest was all dealerships trying to sell you amongst the masses

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 9 months ago #88178

Here in TX around the 70s many of the boat looked just alike.

One maker would buy a boat and do a small bit of changing, pop a mold off of it and be in business.

It is starting to look about the same again. The Houston Boat show is going on right now. I will not go as it has been in the last 12 years. Next year and the year after I will be going with a display of the yellow Jacket Boats and passing word on about the Red River Flotilla and the Hydrocephalus Association

CAVU

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88183

Being different is a lot of the appeal of classic glass to me also. The other aspect is pride in taking something that most people would give up on and trash, and restoring and riding around in it. Anybody (with the money) can pop out the checkbook to spring for a boat. Most will never know the satisfaction of bringing one back to life.

Bernie

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88185

i would love to get a few of the old boats mixed in with the new ones, i wonder if we can get a count of old boats in the surrounding area (within trailering distance ) that could just pull in and park for a few days with some volunteers to man the exhibit.
just a whim . i know there are several groups that mix in now and the old boat shows draw the already enthusiasts to those but to show up with a boat that has been around for forty or fifty years might get an older crowd back to the show for old times sake. we can dream. i had a good time today walking around and the salesmen coming up asking if i had a boat now , and me telling them i did a 1960 flying bridge sea cruiser. they look at me like i was nuts and sorta slither away disappointed knowing they weren't going to make a sale.

Re:observation at the boat show today updated 10 years 8 months ago #88188

man i was just looking over the " awesome boat pictures " and there are alot of show ready boats past and present. i dont know if it is me or what but i would rather go to a show like that than the one i went to today. i missed the get together at lanier last summer but it is up to us to make these showings and to put ourselves out there for the rest to see. i really want to get mine done. and drag it all over parading around the lakes in it. anyway i need to go thanks for listening.

billy

Re:observation at the boat show today updated 10 years 8 months ago #88209

During the last few years, the Minneapolis Boat Show has featured the BSOL ACBS Chapter with a venue to show older classic wood and glass boats. It has been an overwhelmingly popular attraction. I know Andreas her on the board has dedicated a lot of time and attention to this affair. I think a lot of people really enjoy seeing the classics. As much as I really do not get excited about the new boats etc, I do enjoy seeing the new features and like to keep abreast of the technological advances. After all, we have to have something to do up here in the "North Country"!
A few years back I took an old grilfriend to the Miami International Boat Show. She wore me out looking at every display at the show! I have to say that it was an incredible experience. May that be the sign that I am a true boat junkie? LOL

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88296

Oldskier wrote:

Being different is a lot of the appeal of classic glass to me also. The other aspect is pride in taking something that most people would give up on and trash, and restoring and riding around in it. Anybody (with the money) can pop out the checkbook to spring for a boat. Most will never know the satisfaction of bringing one back to life.

Bernie

X2

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88297

cap-n billybob wrote:

i would love to get a few of the old boats mixed in with the new ones, i wonder if we can get a count of old boats in the surrounding area (within trailering distance ) that could just pull in and park for a few days with some volunteers to man the exhibit.
just a whim . i know there are several groups that mix in now and the old boat shows draw the already enthusiasts to those but to show up with a boat that has been around for forty or fifty years might get an older crowd back to the show for old times sake. we can dream. i had a good time today walking around and the salesmen coming up asking if i had a boat now , and me telling them i did a 1960 flying bridge sea cruiser. they look at me like i was nuts and sorta slither away disappointed knowing they weren't going to make a sale.

We do that every year at the Buffalo Boat Show, it's usually one of the most popular stops people make.

BTW, we're looking for a really unique Glassic for this year's show.

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88299

cc1000 wrote:

cap-n billybob wrote:

We do that every year at the Buffalo Boat Show, it's usually one of the most popular stops people make.

BTW, we're looking for a really unique Glassic for this year's show.

:
put a call out to bill anderson...

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88304

Come out and see the vintage boats at the Minneapolis Boat Show 30 Jan - 02 Feb 2014. At the Convention Center in downtown.

www.minneapolisboatshow.com

www.acbs-bslol.com

The display will be ecclectic: 1955 AlumaCraft inboard runabout; 1962 fiberglass AquaSkimmer; 1966 fiberglass CirCraft (the saucer of Del VanEmmerik; 1958 Century 19 ft. Resorter; 1950 Peterborough fishing boat; 1926 Belle Isle Super Bear Cat runabout; and something from Uran Boatbuilders.

We can use some outboard motors on stands for display. So if you are in Mpls St. Paul and have a few to display, please let me know.

Andreas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88305

thompsonboat wrote:

Come out and see the vintage boats at the Minneapolis Boat Show 30 Jan - 02 Feb 2014. At the Convention Center in downtown.

www.minneapolisboatshow.com

www.acbs-bslol.com

The display will be ecclectic: 1955 AlumaCraft inboard runabout; 1962 fiberglass AquaSkimmer; 1966 fiberglass CirCraft (the saucer of Del VanEmmerik; 1958 Century 19 ft. Resorter; 1950 Peterborough fishing boat; 1926 Belle Isle Super Bear Cat runabout; and something from Uran Boatbuilders.

We can use some outboard motors on stands for display. So if you are in Mpls St. Paul and have a few to display, please let me know.

Andreas
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

You guys have all the coolest boats! :(

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88306

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
sorry Ron 700 miles the wrong way for this time of year,,hah see ya Bill

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88310

Went to Toronto boat show yesterday ,if you like Wake board boats or aluminum fishing boats that all look the same then it would be a good show. One display of old boats as you go into the show that was nice and that's about it. Favorite boat of the show was the Chris Craft 20ft Bullet, only boat that had class. The Buffalo boat show is that now the one in the Bills field house or is there still one at the convention Center.

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88311

hodgify wrote:

Went to Toronto boat show yesterday ,if you like Wake board boats or aluminum fishing boats that all look the same then it would be a good show. One display of old boats as you go into the show that was nice and that's about it. Favorite boat of the show was the Chris Craft 20ft Bullet, only boat that had class. The Buffalo boat show is that now the one in the Bills field house or is there still one at the convention Center.

It's now at the Bill's Field House, hoping to get some Glassics there.

www.buffaloboating.com/events

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88320

i probably cant make it, but it would be nice if someone could go and video tape it.. i mean get the display and then stand back and get several people walking around the display see their reactions and just get a sense of how the display is being accepted among all the other ones. it is nice that they let the old ones in, it gives a bigger outlet to get the idea of the old ones are just as enjoyable as a new one . just maybe better.

billy

Re:observation at the boat show today 10 years 8 months ago #88322

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
We hit the Atlanta boat show today for a couple of hours.

That place reeked so strongly of fiberglas, we had to get out of there!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online