• Page:

TOPIC: New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird

New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird 10 years 9 months ago #87930

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I just bought this 1963 Thunderbird Cheyenne, OMC V6 stringer. It's complete and solid but the decking needs replacement...big surprise. I can't find out anything about this model. I've checked the Fiberglassics library but haven't found any info on a 1963 model and have not been able to find a photo of a Thunderbird with the curved windshield. Anybody familiar with these boats?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird 10 years 9 months ago #87945

No info to help you, but the boat brings back childhood memories. We lived on a canal in Fl. when I was growing up and directly across from our house lived a mean old man who hated kids and would cuss us any time he saw us playing near the water. He happened to have a Thunderbird up on davits in his back yard that never seemed to get used. The local five and dime used to sell little slingshots and bags of marbles....

The starboard side of that slab sided old boat probably had about half its gel coat by the time we were done. I don't think the old man ever knew, he never used the boat. Somewhat ashamed of it now but it just felt like righteous retribution to an 7-8 year old.

Isn't Thunderbird a Don Arrownow design?

Good score.

Bernie

Re: New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird 10 years 9 months ago #87946

Very cool boat! These Thunderbird models remind me of the old TV show Flipper.

Where are you located in SC? Are you planning the rebuild yourself or jobbing it out?

I have a boat that needs a similar undertaking, but will need to wait to spring time, when the temp increases.

If I run across any info I will pass it along. Congratulations on the purchase and Good luck with your restoration

Re:New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird 10 years 9 months ago #87947

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The boat was an Ebay find that is fairly close to home. I got it for a price that I just couldn't resist.

I drive down to pick it up in the morning. I haven't had a close look at it yet. I'm hoping that one side is not full of marble dings!

I have no idea who designed it but I do know that it's the first tri-hull I ever thought looked good...for a tri-hull!

JollyFolly: I'm in West Union, SC...15 miles NW of Clemson. I'm actually crazy enough to do these restorations for a living. I might just put this old girl back in the game. It's not very collectible by the average Joe and I'd hate to part her out. For now, she'll rest in my ever-growing collection of "aquatic damsels in distress."

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird 10 years 9 months ago #87960

Yes I like the looks too. Tri-hulls are nice when used for stability but when it comes to ride glamour is lost. One would do me fine since all my boating is fishing. Good find.

Re: New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird 10 years 9 months ago #87965

jollyfolly wrote:

Very cool boat! These Thunderbird models remind me of the old TV show Flipper.

I totally forgot about Flipper. I swear that's where my love of boats came from as a child, watching those kids on the show jump into a little boat and take off on some adventure...

Jan, that's another awesome find for you! Definitely a great collectable for someone who has fond memories of that model. Maybe Bernie wants it since he grew up shooting at one with his slingshot. :lol:

Re:New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird 10 years 9 months ago #87979

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
My whole "boat thing" came from watching Gardner MacKay in James A. Mitchener's "Adventures in Paradise." (I'm older than you.) That's also when I decided that someday I would go to Tahiti. (Been there three times.) Here's how the prepubescent 10-year-old pictured his future in 1959:

Attachments:

"Success makes...

Re:New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird 10 years 9 months ago #87980

i just loved the music from the opening of the tv show. watched it all the time. ron

Re:New Acquisition - 1963 Thunderbird 10 years 9 months ago #87989

I lived in Ft. lauderdale when the Flipper TV show was in high gear. We lived on the water and the 13' Boston Whaler and Thunderbird were the other stars of the show. It inspired my Dad to buy my brother and myself a 13' Boston Whaler, 20 HP Chrysler for Christmas in 1966. I was 12 years old and it started a passion for boats to this day.

I have told my wife many times that the boating community is the happiest and most fun folks you will ever meet. It is seldom that you run across any a-holes.

Even when you break.down on the lake or waterways, other boaters are kind, generous and happy to lend assistance. It would be a good thing for our society and culture if more folks took up the sport of boating.

Happy boating!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online