Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Formula boat ID needed

Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87883

I located this boat and possibly interested in bringing it back to life and wanted to gather more details about the model and heritage.

It looks about 20 ft and it has a strange hull number on the starboard transom top, looks like a backwards 91226.

It might be from around a 1970 - 1972 time frame. I will post additional photo if needed.

Any help will be appreciated identifying this boat.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87888

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
J.F. The national H.I.N. long code went into use around late 1971.
So any small serial # hull would be 71 or earlier.. The board has a LIBRARY section here for almost any mfg. The 20 ft Formula only had a CUDDY (Bow Hatch cover) & a OPen SPORT model.(This looks like your pic ? www.fiberglassics.com/library/Formula
Mouse CLICK on any brochure pic to ENLARGE.

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87889

Thank you for taking a look. I looked at the gallery and this boat does not resemble the brochure photos.

The boat has a notched design on the gunnels and raised deck. The dash is detailed and very different.

The attached image shows the details that I have outlined. The search for the ID of the boat continues.
Attachments:

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87890

Sorry I forgot the other photo.
Attachments:

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87907

Search continues,

The Initial email from Formula could not provide me any information or validation about this boat. It is definitely a Formula, but, must have been a Formula ownership cross over boat in limited production.

Please let me know if anyone has any details about this model.

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87927

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Our Library here only has the 1971 brochure, & your pics dont seem to be the 23 ft model..Other members may copy pages out of the 69 - 70 NADA , Blue Book listing all models..I would take a exact centerline measurement of that blue hull. You may measure 21 feet
for example, & see it was offered in 69 or 70 .?
E-Bay also may have factory brochures & you can match up your
gunnel shape. 3) Just google other Formula 20 - 21 ft may see
other Craig list ads / images . etc,, ?

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87943

Thanks,

I appreciate any help you can lend. I found a photo of a friends 1972, 19' Formula that he had as a young man. Please ignore the bell bottom slacks! LOL!!

I also have not found any information about the 1972 Formula, 19 ft. These are elusive models.

The blue boat, I am looking, appears to be larger by 2 or 3 feet.

I will keep searching other websites and will eventually find out the model.

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87944

1972 Formula, 19 ft.,
Attachments:

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87948

Sorry no help on make or model, but words of wisdom..... if it seems worth doing then it probaly is! lol , looks like a killer project get some glass in your pours, empty your budget grab a strong powerplant and outboard and make sweet wake!!! It really does look like a good base for a great time on the water. Best of luck

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87952

Thanks for the encouragement. It will be a major undertaking. I plan on doing everything myself and will take a great deal of time. I have multiple other projects in stages of completion and I will not start the project until I have the 2 other boats completed. What excites me about the project is that it appears to be a uncommon model and has some great lines. If I am going to save this boat from total ruin I will need to buy it now and put it in the barn for a later project.

The only thing that keep me from losing my mind is I have a couple of boats that are operational and I still get to have fun while working on the mothballed fleet.

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87953

This is my everyday ride.
Attachments:

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #87993

Thats one nice piece of everyday ride you have there!!! I am still trying to get one one the water hopefully this spring/summer. Work so much to get my funds right its hard to find time to work on my boat. Its a vicious cycle,lol, i do have three going at once. Of course thats my own fault, almost done with one, cant wait! That is a beauty you have there looks like its in motion standing still.

Re:Formula boat ID needed 10 years 9 months ago #88016

I can relate to juggling multiple projects. Stay the course and you will finish. It took me the last 2 years to get a new motor dropped in the boat and like any simple, straightforward project countless other issues arise. But, it finally got completed for 2 runs, during the late fall and it was time again to winterize.

We always have next year! Keep the faith the reward is SWEET.

Re:Formula boat ID needed 8 years 9 months ago #118497

Mystery solved! The Formula turned out to be a Formula 190, 1972. The boat was only built in 1972 and the boat I have came originally with a Mercruiser 888. I hope to be in a position to install a new transom this winter.
I will post some photos when I dive into the project. Thanks for any and all the input.

If anyone has any information or photos of this model please let me know?

Have a Happy New Year!

Re:Formula boat ID needed 8 years 9 months ago #118498

• cosmic12
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
jollyfolly wrote:

This is my everyday ride. [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/image-20140103-3 .jpg

Is that a Fire Fox? Beautiful

Re:Formula boat ID needed 8 years 9 months ago #118501

The boat is a Thunderbird/Formula 190 is a project boat that I plan to restore to its original condition. It is 19 feet long with a 7'6" beam. I have much work to do but I think the boat is unique and worth the effort to keep it out of scrap yard. I had seen a few of these boats when they were new but not seen another example in the past 25 years. Thanks for you kind comment and your inquiry.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online