Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87798

• TallTexan
  • TallTexan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
nmi.craigslist.org/boa/4208024152.html

Looks to be belt drive from the motor to the gear box

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CAVU

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87802

Quite a piece of engineering there. Would be gbreat to see this one running. Skip.

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87804

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
skipthescrounger wrote:

Quite a piece of engineering there. Would be gbreat to see this one running. Skip.

Not at that price. OLD is not GOLD.

What would someone use it for. I have many Yellow Jackets however I am not cutting up any to install that, and the ones that I know that has a inboard motor in their YJs I do not think that they will pay anything near that for a spare motor

Problem is if you hit something there is nothing to give but what you hit, or a broken LU. Run up to the shore you cannot pull the motor up.

Great ideal that was not thought through enough.

CAVU

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87808

Good morning TT. Yes that is a YJ VIP (verticle inboard power) Assembly and is on one of the YJ sites.

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87809

Also on Ebay:

The few main selling points of the motor at the time: more compact and lightweight than a conventional inboard motor, 4-cycle operation, and with an outboard-style lower-unit, cheaper and easier to change props.

Someone will surely be negotiating with this fellow. Asking price is always a starting point. For the right person, this is a rare find. Should you have a Yellow Jacket, Owens Flagship, Carlisle Aqua Queen, Grumman, Century Colt, or carAqua in need of the original powerplant, gotta pay to play. Or maybe a Crosley collector will snap it up.

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Fageol

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87812

I just read it is a development of the Crosley...if it will go onto Crosley mounts, I'm sure a Crosley car guy would not hesitate to plunk down $1200...

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87817

For someone restoring a boat that had one it might be worth it to them. Depends on who it is , how much they want to spend. I guess there will be no power trim on that boat. Seems like an odd set up if you were interested in racing.

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87822

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Yes, it was used in a YJ but only14 is what I was told, this is one of them, I was told this is 1 of the 4 that is restored.They also used the engine in a car Aqua and I am sure there is others, This is mine Bill
Attachments:

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87842

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
nice looking Y/J bill, kinda reminds me of an old cabin cruiser that I had. it was an outboard that was mounted in front of the transom, so it looked like an inboard. i'll see if I can find a picture of it.
Attachments:

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87857

Hey Frof I don't care what anyone says, I'm different from alot of people but I like that boat. Now if they fellow had that YJ motor in running condition would it be worth it being so rare. same thing, only what someone is willing to pay to own it.

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87859

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
The Yellow Jacket boat looks nice, however are the darts painted on. The factory bleach the wood as to make the darts. and what year. The inboards were 1956 and 1957.

Being that your hull looks to be mahogany and not birch it would be a 1957. the first year that birch was not used, however the last year that three darts were used was in 1956.

No fins were used in 1956; and I cannot see the bow as to see if it has a king plank or not and the hardware so I guessing that it is a 1956 with a dark stained or painted hull with no side graphics or jet plane.

BTW there has been near to 10 inboards found. One just a few months ago.

I own 3 Cruisettes (2 1956 and a 1957) 1 1957 sportsman 1 1959 Riviera, The only known surviving Hornet built by Yellow Jacket, a 1957/58 glass Yellow Jacket and the very first boat built at the Yellow Jacket Plant...the DU Class Racer.

I am hoping to have them all restored (all but the DU Racer)in time to make the Red River run in 2016

CAVU

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87868

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I do have the side airplanes but I am not a fan of them,,Look forward in seeing your progress on the boats,,Here is a pic of a 12fter I have just like the one I had when I was 14yrs old,
Attachments:

Re:Look at this motor....said it was out of a YJ 10 years 9 months ago #87878

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yep I just stole (I mean bought) a running 1957 Mark 55 today. Paint on it I would say a 5 out of a 10 (Wrong color and the whole thing is painted green), elec and pull rope start. going to put it on the Cruisettes that I am restoring. BTW one of the 56 Cruisettes does not need restoring...it is a 9.5 out of 10 as is

I Maybe I should keep quite about it because someone in AOMCI FL may decide that they want it and will tell the AOMCI treasurer that I said I would sell it to them; and the council will try to force me to.

They have not been in a TX court yet HOWEVER THEY WILL..and it is going to cost AOMCI a pretty penny.

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle