Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need Help with Gen-l TNT

Need Help with Gen-l TNT 10 years 9 months ago #87421

Hi, I am 16 and I have been looking to fix up an old boat as a winter project. I recently picked up a Gen-I tnt. This is my first project boat and I am in need of help, before I begin I would like to learn more about this hull. Is there any good online resources to find out more about the boat? What is the largest motor that the transom can hold? When I look closely at the hull I can see the grain in the wood, is this normal? Does anyone have any tips for making the hull look smooth? I apologize for all of the questions, any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need Help with Gen-l TNT 10 years 9 months ago #87424

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard p8ntmods, glad to have you join us. The Glen-L site may have some of the specs listed you're looking for;
www.glen-l.com/
And I'm sure some of the gang with wood refinishing experience here will be glad to help with that. Please share some pics of your project with us when you get a chance.

Mark

Re:Need Help with Gen-l TNT 10 years 9 months ago #87427

Hi p8ntmods as said above the Glen-l site will have lots of other TNT builders that could help you out.
The TNT is able to take up to 15hp but some people have extended their boats by 10% and built stronger transoms for bigger motors so it will depend on how your boat was built as to what outboard you can put on it.
As to the finish most of us cover our builds builds in fiberglass cloth this becomes transparent when it's wet out with epoxy here I have left some of it clear so you can see the grain of the wood and the bottom is painted, if you are hand painting you can get a very good finish by building up a few coats with a light sanding between each coat then on the last coat working with wet sandpaper from 600,800,1000,1500,2000 then rubbing compound and a good wax to finish off.

Re:Need Help with Gen-l TNT 10 years 9 months ago #87573

Thanks for the help. Here is a pictures of what I have at the moment. The transom has most deffinetly been reinforced. I will measure my boat next time I have a chance to work on it.
Attachments:

Re:Need Help with Gen-l TNT 10 years 9 months ago #87575

• curse
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Nice! I've thought about building that boat.

1960 slickcraft catalina
1963 g-w invader ski-bird
1972 g-w invader drag & ski 14
Portage Michigan

Re:Need Help with Gen-l TNT 10 years 9 months ago #87587

p8ntmods,

WELCOME ABOARD.

NICE boat, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Need Help with Gen-l TNT 10 years 9 months ago #87591

Yes welcome aboard and very nice project! As far as the grain is concerned if you not covering the topside in fiberglass cloth, you can use a stain/wood filler. Like on my boat in the avatar I used Chris Craft Red Mahogany (not a Chris Craft boat though) stain filler from Pettit. Once thinned you brush it on with the grain and let it set a minute or two then wipe it off with a cheese cloth wiping across the grain so as not to wipe the filler out of the grain. Let it dry for a few days then start laying on the varnish. Of course the is if that's the look your going for.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online