• Page:

TOPIC: Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry

Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86325

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The Weather Channel is predicting 58 degrees here both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. After last weeks debacle, I would still like to get one more run in the CC to flush everything out before it hibernates. My problem is that I had surgery this week to remove bone spurs from the top of my right foot. It went very well and I am in little pain, but I am supposed to keep the area dry until I get the stitches removed next week. The question is how do I launch and haul a boat on a trailer without getting my foot wet? My likely companions will be either inexperienced or uncooperative. Thoughts on technique?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86327

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Be the CAPTAIN you always wanted to be. Sit in the boat at the HELM, high and dry, and BARK ORDERS! It seems to work just fine in the U.S.N. for the last 215 years.
:)

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86329

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad to hear the surgery went well Todd, hope you are able to get the CC out this weekend! My method requires a dock at the ramp, have you got a facility like that nearby?

I tie a (I think it's 20'?) bow line between the boat and the trailer, unhook everything at the edge and back the boat in until she floats off the trailer. Pull up until you can get out and retrieve the end tied to the winch post, and pull the boat over to the dock with the line. Go park the truck and you're off and running.

To load out I back the trailer in, drive the boat onto the trailer, (aka "power loading"?) I shimmy up the bow on my knees (staying next to the edge) of the deck until I can step off onto the tongue of the trailer.

Probably pretty comical to watch, but it works for me. :)

Mark

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86330

i always get wet up to my knees....

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86333

Any chance that a marina there has a launch sling? I've used them a couple of times and they're well worth the fee. They lower the boat in right next to the dock or seawall and you just step aboard.

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86334

hold your breath and walk on your hands . Ha !
I think it's time for the in-experienced to get some experience... there Captain !!!

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86336

Put a large plastic bag on your foot after your sock and surgical tape it to your leg. I've used ones that reached my knees before. I was hunting in the marsh. After 4 or 5 hours I was soaked everywhere but the feet.

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86337

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Some good suggestions.

StevieB, The reason that has worked for 215 yeas with the USN is that they have things like a military code of conduct. May not be applicable to civilians at a boat ramp in eastern CT.

The place I will probably go has a concrete pier with a launching ramp on either side. No hoist. Most places with hoists around here are in salt water.

The walking on hands would only work in water up to my nose.

I am 1 for 2 in the plastic bag thing in the shower. A metal trailer and a concrete ramp are a little more abrasive so it would likely be 1 for 3.

I do have a dry suit for sailing which has the rubber booties attached, but it would probably be a little overkill and putting on the bot over it might be a problem.

Still working on it. 56 on Sat, 61 on Sun.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86342

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Buy two pepperoni pizzas and two six packs of Sam Adams Octoberfest. Invite two buddies for a boat ride. Bark the orders while high and dry as previously suggested.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86343

Option not mentioned, Get in boat behind the wheel and make motor noises like you did as a child. Wife thinks your nuts and sends you on a ambulance ride to the local place for the mentally disturbed and confused. Sit in the corner and pout until a Dr. who looks like he is 17 comes and talks to you. Tell him you want to go on a boat ride but your foot can not get wet. Dr. tells you to put your feet in a bag and locks you up for two weeks. All warm weather at this time is long gone and you have to wait till spring. HMMMMM Maybe waiting is the answer. That is what I did.
Attachments:

Re:Weekend dilemma - keeping foot dry 10 years 10 months ago #86372

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
That type of approach actually works. For instance: In the dead of winter, it's possible to fake summer. I turn the heat up to 85, put on shorts and Hawaiian shirt, play "Ocean's Relaxing Surf" on the stereo, sit in a lawn chair in the living room, close my eyes and put my bare feet in a box of sand. Remember, you won't be considered mentally deranged if no one sees you do it.

If a man says something out in the woods and his wife isn't there to hear it, is he still wrong?
Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle