Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking at a winter project

Looking at a winter project 10 years 11 months ago #85634

Hello, first off I'm new, but have been wading through the forums the last month or so reading up on things. Looking at a craigslist find of a 58 fleetform for just under 500 for a winter project. Talked to the owner and everything is there, besides the original seats and one of the spotlights. I know they're not worth gold or anything (there's a second one on cl in about the same condition for 2500, hah) but is 500 about normal for one?
The trailer however isn't registered, and it's 90mins away. Debating whether the local chp's would raise a stink over bringing it home.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Looking at a winter project 10 years 11 months ago #85635

maybe I've been lucky but.... I've used a plate from another trailer before, and once I took the front plate off my truck and put it on the trailer. But now that technology is more advanced ?
It may be tougher to do ?

Re:Looking at a winter project 10 years 11 months ago #85636

I think you can get a permit but sometimes getting a trailer registered in certain states is impossible without a title. Pennsylvania is one. OL just say you got over that hump you have to make sure the trailer will go that far. Pull the hubs and inspect and grease them and check your lights. That may be the biggest reason to get stopped. Another and my favorite option may be to use a flatbed trailer to bring it home. Someone here has one made up for that reason. Maybe they will post a pic. It is a great hobby and best of luck. And another thing, the most important thing of all is ,"Welcome Aboard".

Re:Looking at a winter project 10 years 11 months ago #85644

I definitely don't want to put a plate on it that's not assigned to it. Less chance of getting pulled over but if I am pulled over, more chance of it going bad fast. I was planning to bring up new tires, and bring magnetic lights in case the trailer electrical is shot. I'm in CA so no permit without taking it in to the DMV, which would be tough on a weekend.
Also debating pulling it home in the car, since it's a relatively light boat.
And thank you for the welcome :)

Re:Looking at a winter project 10 years 11 months ago #85657

Welcome aboard! Well I did as Chuck did and took the current plate off my boat trailer and put it on the one i was bringing home. Drove about a hour and half. I guess it just comes down to how much risk do you want to take. I had just planed on showing the bill of sale to the cop and explain the situation, in case it came up, never did. I think Robert's right in that if the trailer looks safe enough and not a hazard you probably won't have nay problems at all. If it looks rickety or unsafe then I would think all bets are off.

Bob

Re: Looking at a winter project 10 years 11 months ago #85662

Ballinamuck,

WELCOME ABOARD & BEST WISHES on your project!!!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle