• Page:

TOPIC: An (Almost) Perfect Day in the Harbor

An (Almost) Perfect Day in the Harbor 10 years 11 months ago #85594

• mmeseke
  • mmeseke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
This past Saturday I convinced my wife to finally go out with me for a cruise through Huntington Harbor on our little Avalon. She has been uneasy about it because it's a 1958 that needs some TLC.

We get to the ramp and put the boat in without any issues and head out with our 5 year old on our little afternoon ride. I look at my wife and she is as happy as can be enjoying the sea air and the scenery. Then she says the words every husband dreams of their wives saying. "Ok, I love it. Go ahead and restore this boat".

Imagine my pure happiness!!!

Then... Not 30 seconds later the Johnson 35hp sputters and dies. I turn the key it sputters again and dies. I know immediately the problem. We're out of gas. How could I forget to check the tank, what rookie move.

Now here we are in the middle of the Harbor, me paddling the boat to the closes privet doc while my wife being the good sport she is, has my phone in her hand. Not to call for help, but so she can take many many pictures of me with the ore in my hand.

Finally make it to the doc tie up and head off for a two mile walk through the neighborhood down PCH to the nearest gas station and back.

Full of gas (and oil) the little 35hp fires right up and we enjoy the rest of the afternoon on the water.

So... Lesson #1 of boat ownership... Always check your tank before you put the boat in the water!

Now it's your turn. Let her your "Lesson Learned" stories.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:An (Almost) Perfect Day in the Harbor 10 years 11 months ago #85595

I've almost done that.

Re:An (Almost) Perfect Day in the Harbor 10 years 11 months ago #85616

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Get a third of the way to the lake only to realize I left the fuel line at home on the floor beside where I keep the boat LOL.

Re:An (Almost) Perfect Day in the Harbor 10 years 11 months ago #85622

Uncle comes into town, haven't sen him in a few years. I have restored the boat his dad, my grandfather, bought. Hasn't been on the boat in probably 20 years. Get to the ramp put the boat in, park the truck, get in to turn the key and DAMN, NO KEY!!!!!!!!!!!! Left the stupid thing at the house. Thank god it's only about 5 minutes form the ramp to the house. Got back, started her up and drove around for a couple of hours, let him drive and he was happy as a little kid again.

Uncle Bob at the wheel. I'm named after him.

He's had several Sea Rays, 26' and 30' Sundancers but never a runabout since growing up with this one.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:An (Almost) Perfect Day in the Harbor 10 years 11 months ago #85642

Congrats! Love the N. shore!

I'm in centerport - Great area to boat. My first was a 17' duo that I took all over the place, over to CT, down to bayville, up to port jeff - as long have safety gear on board and keep eye on weather, and of course pay attention, theyare safe and a blast. You also had a great day to "induct" her to your cause!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online