• Page:

TOPIC: Cover frame

Cover frame 10 years 11 months ago #85424

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm not sure if I have posted this before, but if I have, you're getting it again. This is what I used as a frame for a winter cover. After trying a variety of options, this is the one that is easiest and works best. Essentially it is a large sawhorse. I use the standard metal sawhorse frame and make one over-sized. The one in the picture has 3'-6" legs and the cross member is 7'. (The dimensions can be modified to fit whatever boat.) The ends of the cross members I cut on a 60 degree angle and round the ends and edges with a band saw. I have used this arrangement for 3 or 4 years and have never had a problem with tarps puncturing at hard spots. The height creates enough of an angle so snow and rain run off without ponding. The nice thing is that you can use scrap 2x4s which keeps the cost down.

I also assemble it with either galvanized or coated deck screws so it can be folded up and put away for the summer and is ready to use the next year.

Hopefully this will help someone out there.

The assembled saw horse.

Placed in the Glastron.

With the cover.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Cover frame 10 years 11 months ago #85430

Now THAT is a really cool idea!!!
:-)
I've been using white 1" PVC fittings and 1" poly-pipe that I assemble each Fall to the shape of a dinosaur rib cage, to support my tarps or boat covers.
I think your idea probably wouldn't cost as much & would be very strong.
Doc F
Attachments:

Re:Cover frame 10 years 11 months ago #85440

Last year I used a pvc frame as well, and have since I've had my boat with "clothes line" stringed from the center out over the sides/front/back. Worked well. This year I used a "redneck" golf goal and two of those PVC cover supports. It's working out okay, but I think the weight of snow will crush it.

I think I'll give this a go...

1972 Sidewinder 18\\\\\\\'SS in resto. New transom, stringers, deck, knee braces... 1976 Merc 1150... Rebuilding my original with help from the all elite Dr FrankenMerc!!!

Re:Cover frame 10 years 11 months ago #85455

Great idea Todd. I think I'll use it for the clipper this winter since the Century will be in the shed getting restored.

Bob

Re:Cover frame 10 years 11 months ago #85460

I run a 2x4 from the bow to the top of my rear most seat and angled tow smaller 5/4 x 3's to each side of the stern and covered. Been using it for years. I clear the snow as it falls on it. Although it has had over two feet on it.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online