Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replacing rotten wood with foam an fiberglass

Replacing rotten wood with foam an fiberglass 10 years 11 months ago #85312

Get a cup of coffee and see the video...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Replacing rotten wood with foam an fiberglass 10 years 11 months ago #85313

One section was edited out of sequence, but still a good, if long, video for Classic Fiberglass boaters.

Re:Replacing rotten wood with foam an fiberglass 10 years 11 months ago #85473

What a cool system.... It seems too good to be true.. What would the downside be (beside the fear of soggy stringers).... Inexpensive too from what I've seen.

1972 Sidewinder 18\\\\\\\'SS in resto. New transom, stringers, deck, knee braces... 1976 Merc 1150... Rebuilding my original with help from the all elite Dr FrankenMerc!!!

Re:Replacing rotten wood with foam an fiberglass 10 years 11 months ago #85480

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
You might want to re-think the "wonders of fiberglass stringers." The down side is that there's not a damned thing to bolt/screw to! I just finished re-doing the interior and re-powering a boat that had the "new and improved fiberglass stringers." Fastening the seats and fabricating/mounting aluminum L-channels to mount the V8 engine was a giant pain in the butt! I'll take wood any day...white oak, mahogany, even cypress. I'll coat it with CPES and wrap it in a fiberglass cocoon but wooden stringers are going into all the boats I restore. Most have lasted fifty years. If they only last another 50 years before they have to be redone, fine. Guys in 2063 will need to earn a living too!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Replacing rotten wood with foam an fiberglass 10 years 11 months ago #85502

Nautilus wrote:

You might want to re-think the "wonders of fiberglass stringers." The down side is that there's not a damned thing to bolt/screw to! I just finished re-doing the interior and re-powering a boat that had the "new and improved fiberglass stringers." Fastening the seats and fabricating/mounting aluminum L-channels to mount the V8 engine was a giant pain in the butt! I'll take wood any day...white oak, mahogany, even cypress. I'll coat it with CPES and wrap it in a fiberglass cocoon but wooden stringers are going into all the boats I restore. Most have lasted fifty years. If they only last another 50 years before they have to be redone, fine. Guys in 2063 will need to earn a living too!

Good point...

1972 Sidewinder 18\\\\\\\'SS in resto. New transom, stringers, deck, knee braces... 1976 Merc 1150... Rebuilding my original with help from the all elite Dr FrankenMerc!!!

Re:Replacing rotten wood with foam an fiberglass 10 years 10 months ago #87243

I totally agree. The added expense of creating composite stringers just so someone 50 years from now won't have to worry about it is not justified in my opinion. Most people won't own a boat for that long. If they do, and if they take proper care and maintain it properly, the wooden stringers and Transom will still be functional.

Re:Replacing rotten wood with foam an fiberglass 10 years 10 months ago #87252

Nautilus wrote:

Right on Jan... Give me wood any day.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online