Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bow Eye Mount and Appearance

Bow Eye Mount and Appearance 11 years 3 days ago #84675

Not sure how to approach this bow eye mount. Flat, straight eye back and v-hull creates a fulcrum. I could cut into the hull a bit and attempt mount that way to smooth the mount.

Do they not make / sell and mounting plate that would accommodate the eye and fit to the "v"? I'd like to keep the eye if I can. Backer plate (wood - oak) is in great shape and sufficient. This is more of an appearance thing. Need suggestions on possible approaches to this. I'm not beyond fabrication if a viable option.

Note: Not sure if you can tell from the pic, but the eye has a stub at the top and bottom to keep from rotating.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Bow Eye Mount and Appearance 11 years 3 days ago #84676

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
YES, any hardware original to the mfg brand should be retained
if possible & not changed.. These bow hooks usually take the pull
up on a trailer or anchor line... If you say a solid mount feel
is still there that is positive.. I would unbolt the big nut
from the inside & remove for visual inspection.. I had transom bolts
when unmounted only had 1/2 of the diameter of the shaft from
long term moisture / rust.
The glass / resin work may have to start from the inside
build up for strength.. A few finish outside layers may be the way to smooth.. A final drill hole to get the same shaft hole when
remount & maybe caulk.

Re:Bow Eye Mount and Appearance 11 years 3 days ago #84678

I would take a small piece of Alum angle iron and bend it in a vice to get close to the V shape needed, then drill a hole for the bolt and two small ones for the dimples. Before putting on I would use Marine Tex to fill the existing hole, tears behind the eye and then put the reshaped angle iron over it an re-bolt the eye through that. Maybe not as original but will be strong..

Re:Bow Eye Mount and Appearance 11 years 3 days ago #84695

My first thought on the pic is to get that old eye out. Do not use metal unless that is what was with it. I hand carved my new block to fit perfectly in the bow. Being it is only a 15 footer and the original was about 3 inches long I made my new one six. I made it out of a hickory and is solid as a rock. The mounting location needs to be repaired. I took and got the damaged fiiberglass all out and used pieces of mat. I think I had three layers starting with the small to largest. I re drilled the hole carefully after it had sat for a few days and test fit a totally new bow eye. They are not that expensive. Mine was all brass. After finishing around the repaired area it blem\nds in so well as to not being able to see the repair at all. When I put the new eye in I bedded the new block I carved in resin and tightened it up. When you pull the boat all the weight is pulled from this point so it has to be strong. Some cover theirs with resin. to seal but I did not. I primed it and painted it. In this pic you can see where it was test fitted. This pic shows how small the original was. Hey if it did it's job since 1959 it was OK but I decided to make the new one spread the load on a little bigger area.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online