Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need opinion fr. you engineer/mech. fastner types.

Need opinion fr. you engineer/mech. fastner types. 11 years 1 week ago #84368

So in getting the bracket ready for the club mariner, I ordered all new bolts, washers, etc, incl. 18", x1/2" galvanized bolts (couldn't find any in stainless). When I was getting everything together for tomorrow for the big moment, I noticed that although the length and thread are fine, the bolt itself is slightly smaller than the old one, about a 1/16th".

I'm guessing that technology over the last 55 years has improved, and so it is probably fine, but figured I'd see if anyone had opinions. I've included a pic, although not very good...having trouble with camera focus.

3 of the 4 old ones are fine and can re-use if needed. The bolt did have specs, but nothing to compare it with as far as the old bolts are concerned.

OK, Thanks folks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need opinion fr. you engineer/mech. fastner types. 11 years 1 week ago #84377

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Hard to say without knowing what it's for and what kind of loads are on it.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:Need opinion fr. you engineer/mech. fastner types. 11 years 1 week ago #84388

You can actually make what you need using stainless rod. I am pretty certain Jamestown Distributors sells it.

And....here's the link:

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1998&familyName=Stainless+Steel+Solid+Rod

Re:Need opinion fr. you engineer/mech. fastner types. 11 years 1 week ago #84438

Thanks for the replies gents.

Brian - I'm afraid you give me a bit more credit than I deserve in both my ability to work the stainless, as well as my tool stash. Unfortunately I have no way to thread the pipe, which is too bad as it would be a great solution!

Ike, this is going on a 1958 glasspar club mariner. here is link to the borchures section:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Glassparb60005.jpg

The original setup was rated for 120HP at the time, and this boat came with dual Johnson 35 hp motors. I'll be putting on two 1962 40HP gales, so a little heavier and a little more power.

All this said, I am, as usual, running out of time for my various projects before winter so i went ahead and mounted it onto the boat Sunday as i really need the space (see new thread). However, I'm not putting the motors on till spring, so I am still very open to changing out if it turns out to be a good idea. .

So, as usual gents, any comments appreciated!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online