Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: (FOMOCO) Something Special or not?

(FOMOCO) Something Special or not? 11 years 1 week ago #84363

Neighbors had this boat in their yard for 15 years. It has sat in my yard now for the past three years. The husband has never shown any interest in it so I thought I find out type it is and sell it. Got to looking at the engine and found "FOMOCO" logo! "That's an old Ford"... So I got the husband to take a look and he was surprised to find we have a Ford Interceptor V8 with 165 hp. He told me that is a Mustang engine in that old boat. So after spending the last month looking at every picture of classic boats we can find, We give up!

Is this boat apart of history and needs to be restored, or do I give it to the next guy who pulls up with a trailer hitch?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:(FOMOCO) Something Special or not? 11 years 1 week ago #84364

Forgot to tell you... 17 ft long, fiberglass inboard, Eaton Propeller, No HIN number anywhere. Saw ad in Glassifieds which looks to be the closest

www.fiberglassics.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&view=details&id=2870&catid=5&Itemid=56

Have more pictures of it posted on facebook:

www.facebook.com/willahappy/media_set?set=a.10202395972168932.1073741826.1481993437&type=3
Attachments:

Re: (FOMOCO) Something Special or not? 11 years 1 week ago #84376

willahappy,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Truthfully, there are VERY few glassics that will fetch what they will cost to restore (or even just "fix up). - Thus FEW have any REAL dollar value beyond sentimental value to those of us who are old boat addicts.

For example, I looked at a 1958 glass STARCRAFT with 40HP Johnson OB on a good trailer for 200.00 cash. - Unfortunately you couldn't sell it restored for HALF of the cost to restore it to "as NEW"/original.

Why not restore it & ENJOY it yourself for DECADES?
(I expect that the relatively RARE OB rig that I'm getting ready to restore will outlast ME & perhaps my 42YY daughter as well. = Amortized over that many years, the dollar cost is insignificant.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:(FOMOCO) Something Special or not? 11 years 1 week ago #84383

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
The 165 HP sticker on your valve cover means that you have a Ford 260 V8 engine. The 260 was introduced in 1962 and subsequently dropped from the Ford line in 1964 however, marine versions were probably being built/offered up until about 1966. To answer your question, no, it's not a particularly rare or even desirable engine but if the exhaust manifolds are good, they're worth a couple hundred dollars since they'll also fit a 289 or 302.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:(FOMOCO) Something Special or not? 11 years 1 week ago #84385

You could also contact the agency in AZ that registers boats and they might be able to tell you something from the registration number. Is it rare and worth a bazillion dollars? probably not. BUt it could be a fun ride fixed up.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:(FOMOCO) Something Special or not? 11 years 1 week ago #84392

Thank you so much! Knowing now that my efforts won't be taking any value away from it, opens the doors of possibilities! Kids are out of the house and the lake is 2 miles up the road. I think were gonna customize it!

Now iam excited - we have a boat! Very greatful for this forum and all the info fiberglassics.com has! Thank you fot taking the time to answer my question!

Re:(FOMOCO) Something Special or not? 11 years 1 week ago #84406

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
W.H.,: WELCOME.. You have a classic engine there to restore. SEARCH
of prior thread posts has this EATON topic www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/stern-drives/changing-outdrive#83179
2) Another pro wrench with this experience should have the handle of Tall Tales , Skipp out of Ohio . Has a Glasspar V-8 from the
founder of this site about 12 or 13 years ago. . I believe those EATON outdrives have a release pin or lever to rotate further to side or upwards for highway traveling. ( ??? )
Was not able to view your facebook link for boat pics.

Re:(FOMOCO) Something Special or not? 11 years 1 week ago #84408

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad to see your enthusiasm renewed Willa, there's nothing wrong with making some changes to suit you when renovating a Glassic like this IMHO. It will still be something special, chances are good you won't see any others like it out on the water, right!? Good luck with the project, please keep us posted on your progress. ;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle