Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to FiberGlassics

New to FiberGlassics 11 years 2 weeks ago #84204

I picked up a boat from a neighbor fairly cheap
seems to be in decent shape for the year looks to be a 1960-62 Arkansas Traveler Rocket

As far as repairs go the keel needs some attention and a new paint job, The seats had been reupholstered not long ago plus it needs a windshield not sure where to find one but im sure someone on here can point me in the right direction

Previous owner had this in the water in 2006 and it been on a trailer ever since

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 2 weeks ago #84206

Welcome aboard. You pic is probably to big. Try reducing the size. If you search the forum you will find plenty of windshield posts right down to making your own.

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 2 weeks ago #84223

Attached are photo's of my 1960 Arkansas Traveler with a 40 HP Johnson. Nice little boat. If I can be of any help please ask away.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attachments:

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 2 weeks ago #84255

Thanks I adjusted them
here are the Keel areas that need attention
Attachments:

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 2 weeks ago #84256

Your Boat looks great I want to bring mine back to the original white and light Blue very similar if possible

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 2 weeks ago #84289

bryxr4ti,

WELCOME ABOARD.

PURTY boat.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 2 weeks ago #84318

Someone did a nice job replacing the upholstery in an original style.

Is that a steering wheel from a car? Never seen anything like it on a boat!

Some folks have used this company for custom windshields- I have no experience with them: www.updplastics.com/

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 2 weeks ago #84339

Hi HandyAndy as far as i can tell the steering wheel is original
here are some close up shots of it you can see the AT symbol in the middle for Arkansas traveler
Attachments:

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 2 weeks ago #84353

To me that horn says, GET OUT OF THE WAY!!! That boat is gonna be nice,

Proud member of the \\\\\\\"Raiders of the Schlitz Box\\\\\\\"

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 1 week ago #84534

Started to buzz this down to the original paint long process but patience will pay off in the end

Anybody know if these thing had identification plates?
Attachments:

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 1 week ago #84540

gdanderson wrote:

Attached are photo's of my 1960 Arkansas Traveler with a 40 HP Johnson. Nice little boat. If I can be of any help please ask away.

Looking for the identification plate if it has one and Windshield specs and hardware

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 1 week ago #84545

Attached is a photo of the I.D. plates. Windshield will be harder to get as the boat is put away for the year.
Attachments:

Re:New to FiberGlassics 11 years 1 week ago #84552

You could get your Windshield dimensions from your boat. From your photos I can see the outline where the original windshield was located. You will need the "tip to tip" dimension minus the hardware used to hold the windshield to the boat. The windshield on a Arkansas Traveler is quite small. If I remember right it was 62". The height dimension is not that important. Nearly any windshield height will work. I have gotten windshields off of eBay and Craigslist and had to cut them down height wise to make them look proportional. There is also flexibility in the "tip to tip" dimension. You can go with a 60" to 64" "tip to tip" dimension as you will find that the windshield is quite flexible. (Be sure to confirm the in place dimension of 60".) You can find quite a lot of windshield hardware on eBay if you keep your eye out. (Click on image to enlarge)

Hardware use to attach windshield shown in all three photo is off of eBay.
Attachments:

Re:New to FiberGlassics 10 years 10 months ago #86775

Small update I have been collecting some items for the project, most significant is the 1962 RK-24 40hp Johnson outboard,its looks to be in great shape hope she runs as good as the previous owner claimed

Still slowly buzzing the paint down to the original

found a decent windshield for 25 bucks that is very close fitting and I will make it work
Baring any major setbacks I cant wait to get this project in the water next summer.

Re:New to FiberGlassics 10 years 10 months ago #86777

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The site doesn't seem to be downloading the image links, let me try something to help;

Sorry, that didn't work either. (Downloaded image then loaded straight from desktop.) Oh Ken, where art thou ???
Attachments:

Mark

Re:New to FiberGlassics 10 years 10 months ago #86781

Love that old fiberglassic! It will be a fun and rewarding project.

Re:New to FiberGlassics 8 years 2 months ago #125027

Been a few years few other projects on the go so the old AT got pushed aside but beautiful weather got me going again on the AT fixed the trailer she was on and hauled her out to the lake
Best guess based on the files on this site my AT is a 1962 my 40 hp Johnson is a perfect matched 1962
I sourced what I needed and after a carb kit water impeller 2 coils and condensers she runs pretty good
With me in it by myself I can get to 25 mph but I think she has way more in her

As to the boat itself I was able to get it down to the original Bimini blue but it still needs a lot of work
I wanted to get if on the water and see how it went ... Didn't sink lol
So far we have had some fun but it's still a work in progress I think this fall ill have to flip it over and tend to some of the hull issues I think she is taking in a little water by way of a few cracks not correctly repaired in the past plus I hope the old wood inside is not to rotten but I could be I just don't know at this time
Might be water logged a bit the boat shoals be 380 lbs based on the brochure Indonesia on this site but she seems heavier

Back to the Johnson ... Like I said it runs great starts great idles great but takes a bit to get up to speed and bogs down under Load around 8 mph with 2 adults 2 kids and 50ish pounds of gear something that will need to be looked into I'm pretty new to outboards and did my research but unti I do a compression check I will have assume I missed something ...

Re:New to FiberGlassics 8 years 2 months ago #125032

Re:New to FiberGlassics 8 years 2 months ago #125074

your still better off than me, while mine looks good I still havent got it wet, been discouraged with motor issues. its been sitting for a year or more.

glad your on the water

Re:New to FiberGlassics 8 years 2 months ago #125091

It's nice to finally give it a go on the water the cleaning and painting will come in time
I hear ya on the motor issues this old sea horse is taking some time to sort out but i think I almost got all the issues remedied
Gonna get her back in the water tomorrow I hope and see how that goes
She is very hard on fuel but I think the auto choke is not functioning correctly I'm going to run the choke manually from now on
I set the ignition and throttle timing today and re- gapped the brand new plugs manual say .030 the plugs out of the package where around .034
I have the hardware just need to get the paint off some of them

I hope the hull is ok its wet I'm sure I'm afraid the wood is a bit soft transom seem very sturdy however

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online