Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1955 20' Skagit Express restoration project

1955 20' Skagit Express restoration project 11 years 2 weeks ago #84075

We are starting restoring our 1955 20' Skagit Express and would like to do it as authentically as possible. Please direct me to sources for color choices--exterior and interior. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1955 20' Skagit Express restoration project 11 years 2 weeks ago #84081

jecker,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1955 20' Skagit Express restoration project 11 years 2 weeks ago #84115

Hi Jecker,

I commend you on planning an period restoration- many folks don't try because of the obstacles of hard-to-find parts, expense of re-chroming, and ready availability of new motors or new fixtures.

I do not know of any color brochures or other literature of the 1955 Skagit boats. You may be able to get in touch with other Skagit boat owners at the Northwest Classic Boat Club: www.classicboatclub.com/

I am not sure if the Classic Skagit Boat Club still exists or was rolled into the Northwest Classic Boat Club, but there are some very knowledgeable folks in that association who have a particular interest in Skagit Boats.

Re: 1955 20' Skagit Express restoration project 11 years 2 weeks ago #84151

I really appreciate your comment and will follow up on the leads you have given me. We are very excited about our project-- and doing it right.

Re: 1955 20' Skagit Express restoration project 11 years 2 weeks ago #84152

Scott McDade has a 1956 Skagit Express which is very original and nice. It is called WeLike. Scott lives in La Conner which is about 60 miles north of Seattle. I am sure he would like to show his boat to give you ideas. His e-mail is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. He is a teacher at La Conner schools. A 1955 Skagit is the first year of Skagit manufacture. All early Skagits we have seen are very much over built so are strong. Having interviewed one of the original owners, they were almost a custom build. One of their problems was Howard Roberts the head of the factory and designer built a lot of boats as individuals rather then production line boats. I have a 58 Skagit offshore and a friend has a 58 offshore 5 serial numbers apart and the inside is different. The stringers of all Skagits are fiberglass so they usually don't need replacing. The transom is curved so is a bit of a problem to replace. Skagits are really fun boats and it is surprising how many have survived. My e-mail is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you have any questions I may be able to help.

Re: 1955 20' Skagit Express restoration project 11 years 2 weeks ago #84158

This is very useful information. My husband believes the boat to be a 1956, but the title lists it as a 1954. We would love to see your boat and talk with you if you have time to show it to us. I am also going to contact Scott McDade. It will be inspiring to see other boats. Thank you for your comment and your help.

Re: 1955 20' Skagit Express restoration project 11 years 2 weeks ago #84162

the titles on old boats are often wrong. One of my Skagits is listed as a 1967, that is 6 years after they made Skagits. A DOL lady once told me that the last 2 digits of the registration was the year of the boat. Might work for newer boats, but not for older boats. Would be happy to show you my boats if you are ever in the La Conner area. Clint

Re:1955 20' Skagit Express restoration project 11 years 2 weeks ago #84166

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard to you and your husband Jecker, glad to have you join us. As you can see we do have a few members loyal to and knowledgeable about the brand, mostly in the great NW. (I was hoping they'd drop in and lend a hand here.) ;)

Looking forward to seeing your project come along, please do share progress reports and pics with us whenever you get a chance!

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle