Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hull and topside paint

Hull and topside paint 11 years 1 month ago #82710

• dspeck
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I need help making a decision on paint. I'm restoring a 1960 Glasspar G3. The hull is in basically good shape. The deck less so, but still not too bad. Original color is red deck, white hull with black accent above the sponsons. I'm staying with the same color scheme. The boat will only see fresh water but will be in the water for several weeks at a time (mostly Northern Michigan in land lakes.) I've looked at Interlux epoxy, Brightside and Pettit products and they all look great. But, I'm concerned about the length of time the boat will be in the water. I would appreciate suggestions on what the best combination of products would be for durability and to prevent water absorption. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hull and topside paint 11 years 1 month ago #82712

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
What is the condition of the original gel coat? faded or sun oxidized down to the glass? I rolled and tip new gel coat on the hull of my g3. I use the boat in salt and fresh water so I wanted the protection of gel coat.

Al
Attachments:

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Hull and topside paint 11 years 1 month ago #82752

• dspeck
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
The deck is badly oxidized and requires the most crack repair (although most are pretty minor. The hull is not badly oxidized, but the gelcoat is worn off the bow where the centerline would make contact with the shore when beached. Other than that, it seems to be in fairly good shape. It's not real glossy, but it's not chaulky either.

The attached photos show the boat as I bought it.

I've read that roll and tip is a two person job. Would you agree? What brand did you use?

Thanks for the quick response.

Doug
Attachments:

Re:Hull and topside paint 11 years 1 month ago #82762

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Dan, I would never tip and roll again it is a two person job and not for novices. I am a tip and roll novice for sure. I have a good 10' hull. Any closer and the imperfections begin to show. My son has had great success spraying gel coat. He got some product and help from the guy's a Express Composites in MN. The Glasspar hull color was originally a Hampton? White. It's hard to find so the blue g3 hull is in brite white. I used the stock brand sold at Jordan Point Marina in Hopewell VA. No idea of the manufacturer. The Red g3 in the picture is a 60 that belongs to our friends John and Sharon from NC. That gel coat is all original. That boat was garage kept all it's life except when in use of course. It is also a northern great lakes boat. The Glasspar sedan in the pic is original gel and needs help. I keep buffing it down awaiting next winter when I hope to have my son redo the gel coat. The bow and keel will always need touch up if you beach a lot and I do beach a lot. That picture was taken where the Inter-coastal Waterway empties into the Atlantic in NC. It looks like you have a solid boat to start with and that is key to success. I am going to enjoy you pictures.

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Hull and topside paint 11 years 1 month ago #82811

Once done you should pick up a keel saver/guard. Al you probably should too if your going to beach them a lot. I've thought about getting one myself.

Bob

Re:Hull and topside paint 11 years 1 month ago #82813

great advice bob. i've scraped the launch ramp a few times at a place where they had no dock to disembark. ron

Re:Hull and topside paint 10 years 10 months ago #87289

I haven't seen this talked about on the forum but if it has I apologize. On of the best methods to do spot repairs on GelCoat is to spray it on using one of these...

This CO2 unit is truly amazing. If you get 2-3 power units and switch between them(They get cold after extended spray times) you can do a credible job spraying Gelcoat. The nozzles are replaceable ($1) and the Entire unit cost $10. Replacement CO2 units are $4. Get em at most Home Depot's and Lowe's. Thin your gelcoat with acetone and shoot it. If it's an area of 3sq ft or less it will get the job done. You can shoot 3-4 layers easily before the gelcoat starts to set. If the unit gets cold, pop it off and put on another one. Takes 2 secs. I'd recommend 4-6 coats so you'll build up enuf thickness to allow sanding and fairing. It also works great for touch up painting etc. Basically if you can get it to flow thru the nozzle you can shoot it with this unit. NO I don't work or own stock. I just like this thing cuz it WORKS!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online