Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: wrong section?

wrong section? 11 years 1 month ago #82606

I posted in the mercury motors about what size motor came on a 1958 beeline 14' boat. I haven't had any replies so try another section of the forum. I've been told they had mercury motors on them. I also wanted to know if some one can tell me if they know what chrome items are missing or if these are the original ones. I tried to put some photos on here but haven't figured it out. I got 1 pic on my profile [wife did it ] will try to get some on tomorrow. thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:wrong section? 11 years 1 month ago #82624

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
NVM / deleting my step by step resizing pictures post lol
Attachments:

Keeping History Alive , is all we can hope for.We take only the memories when we leave,The wake of waves lives on.

Re:wrong section? 11 years 1 month ago #82628

Boats did not come with outboard motors from the factory. Dealerships installed motors on the boats. So whatever brand or brands the dealerships carried was put on the transom. So if the dealer sold Evinrude outboards, they'd install an Evinrude. And if a dealer in the next town sold Beeline boats and Mercury motors, they'd install a Mercury. And so on and so forth.

Andreas

Re:wrong section? 11 years 1 month ago #82667

It isn't clear from your question if you only wanted to know the brand of the motor or it's hp rating...

If you are trying to figure out what hp motor you can safely run, here's a way to calculate the USCG approved max hp OB for your boat:

Hopefully this guide will help you calculate the maximum amount of H.P. your boat can be insured for.
- This is to only be used as a guide.
- You can round your final HP number to the closest multiple of 5. (31 HP would round to 30 HP. 33 HP would round to 35 HP)

Step One - Compute your Factor

A. Length of Boat x Transom Width (measure in feet: 14, 15.5,16, etc).

Step Two - Compare your factor to H.P. rating

A. 0-35 = 3 hp
B. 36-39 = 5 hp
C. 40-42 = 7.5 hp
D. 43-45 = 10 hp
E. 46-52 = 15 hp

Step Three - If your factor is over 52 (Choose only A or B)

A. With Remote Steering (steering wheel) and at least 20" transom height

Maximum HP = (Your factor x 2) - 90

Example: 19' 6" long , 7 feet wide = (19.5 x 7 x 2) - 90 = 183 (Round up in multiples of 5. This boat's max is 185 hp).

B. With Tiller Steering (hand or extension) or less than 20" transom height (Choose only 1 or 2)

1. Flat bottom, or hard chined boats (hull has hard angles)

Max HP = (Your factor x 0.5) - 15

2. Soft chine, rounded hulls

Max HP = (Your factor x 0.8) - 25

BTW: The only 2 pix of beeline boats in the library both show Mercs. If you're shopping for a period accurate motor, 1958+/-, I'd suggest a Johnson/Evinrude 30-35 hp.

It's close to what that formula above will probably give ya, and are great motors to work on, find parts/service items for, and look GREAT...

Plus I've probably seen 15-20 listed for sale in the last 4 weeks.

I LOVE the look of vintage mercs, but find working on them & paying for parts much more problematic..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online