• Page:

TOPIC: Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat

Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82459

• DLB68
  • DLB68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So the gel coat is cured to the point that you can touch it and run your hand across it with out dragging marks in it .I know this because, I spilled a glass of water on it this morning.In the wet spot it is touchable , i can't apply extreme pressure due to prints , but the gel coat is buff able. And gives a very smooth and glossy shine...If i have destroyed the curing process for that section of gel coat , Then i am back at square one.. If not then ? How can I assist the process or ??? Is there any thing i can do to dissolve the massive anxiety that grows into worldly power of desire ? Just can't stand it any longer , don't want to anyway lol
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Keeping History Alive , is all we can hope for.We take only the memories when we leave,The wake of waves lives on.

Re:Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82460

Four day old gell is cured enough to wet sand. When you applied the gell did it have wax in it or high gloss additive or did you shoot it with PVA. if you did not do one of the three your gell will always be sticky as it needs one of the three to make it cure.

Re:Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82468

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ok This is what Bass Cat Boats , Midway Ar. Has said to me ...After the gel coat has reached a gel , point in the curing process ... Mix rubbing alcohol & palmolive . the ratio ,,, 15 % polmolive to 85% alcohol... spray on ... this will help the M.E.K. to kick in. The formula for gel coating is exagerated when acetone is added,So up the M.E.K. percentage slightly ,& using a 1.5mm spray tip doesn't help either.The green color of the polmolive dish detergent will show on the gel coat to help you see where you have and have not sprayed .The formula i used was 8 oz gel coat . 2 oz acetone 6 cc of Meth .Ethel .Keytone.... So with that much acetone , the MEK should be raised to 8 or 9 cc's ...

Herters59 I will call Bass Cat and inquire about the contents of the Victory Red Gel Coat . This is my first gel coat experience . I just don't know.

Keeping History Alive , is all we can hope for.We take only the memories when we leave,The wake of waves lives on.

Re:Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82470

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
According to Bass Cat , i used the right mix . But their gel coat is a secret formula... They would not tell me what is in it. But they assured me the alcohol / dish soap spray would do the trick ... I was shocked , once the mix was sprayed on and wiped gently with a soft cloth. The gel coat became smooth as glass and now, 4 hours later is skinned and touchable.But the anxiety is still here . I have waited 19 years to do this.My next marriage will be to a boat !

Re:Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82480

I hope you mean MEKP for your catalyst. If you used MEK instead then it will never cure. METHYL ETHYL KETONE is a thinner solvent.
Never heard of using soap alcohol for a curing agent..

Re:Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82481

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Methyl Ethyl Keytone Substitute with the Klean Strip brand name ..
That is what was suggested to me by the local folks ... I spoke with Bass Cat and they said if the alcohol / soap mix did not do the trick , They would set me up with the correct supplies. This is the M.E.K. i used ....
Attachments:

Re:Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82488

are you sure you sprayed gel coat? I have never heard of the process that you were told about. and I've been doing fiberglass and gel cote work as my profession for 16 years.

Re:Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82492

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Well , just went out to see how it looks , after near 10 hours of sitting with soap and drunk fluid on it. It ain't drunk, but it's awful mushy. So i guess it's a small setback,I mean what's one week compared to 19 years.I will have to scrape the oozing gel off of it and scrub it down with acetone,then do a new coat of dyna hair.and repeat the process again.... But this time i will get everything from Bass Cat.

Re:Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82494

• DLB68
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
OK So .. The MEK i have is a thinner solvent.. I should be able to use it after i scrape the messed up gel off . I should be able to use it instead of spending another $60 for acetone... lol I knew this would be a wild adventure lmao !

Re:Buffing 4 day old Gel Coat 11 years 1 month ago #82497

Oh boy did you just hear that can oh worms open. Yes you can reduce gell with acetone or MEK but you change the structure of the product by reducing it. Soooo it really is NOT recommended to reduce for a complete job.. Yes they do it all the time.
What ever you use to wipe off the soft gell with will or should attack any primer or body work you have done
Use a lot of rags and change as nessary.
I would recommend you get a cheap gun with at least a 2.o tip. Use Duratic's high gloss additive.
Doing gell is not hard it is just like everything else there is a learning curve.
A very good source of information is EXPRESS COMPOSITES 612 789 8621 plus they sell and ship anything you will need.
Send me an email if you want. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
GOOD LUCK

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online