Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics?

FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82109

Hey folks,

Haven't been on for a while, but as a quick recap, around 5 years ago I picked up a '58 glasspar club mariner that had been sitting under an awning for most of its life. It was all original, with all original parts (still is!...lol). Unfortunately, about that time I also started the early throes of divorce, which put it off for a while. Well i am finally starting to do the resto.

Luckily, the transom and stringers are fine. The story is the original owner only used it one season as the wife hated boating, which he didn't know when he bought it as a surprise. After that it sat.

It has the early ride guide (rack) steering, which, after i greased it, works great, and is tight. It was originally set up with dual '58 johnson 35's, but they had been sold seperately with all the associated hardware. I'm going to be putting 2 '62 Gale 40's on it but need to see how the original cable was secured. I've figured out how to tie the motors together, and attach the cable, but can't seem to find anything on how to secure the cable. I have one of those hold off after market things, but would prefer to see how it was originally secured to see if I can get it to work. I currently am replacing the original teak wood from the motor mount, and going to repar and paint the fiberglass part, and will post pics as I remember to take them.

OK, long enough post, hope everyone is well!

Al T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82113

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Al the gales sound like a nice touch. Can't wait to see your progress - -Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82138

Hi Al,
An educated guess is that a Mercury Ride-Guide transom mount was utilized, as a 1962 Glasspar Avalon we have was rigged so. But a custom bracket to attach to one of the outboards would need to be fabricated to yield full steering travel lock-to-lock. With a twin cylinder OMC (from the 1950's or 1960's), attachment to the bottom cowl handle is too far from the swivel tube to allow the mechanical steering to achieve lock-to-lock. Our Avalon had a Johnson 75 hp, and the V4 is far shorter from the swivel tube, so stock vintage Ride-Guide brackets can be utilized with them.
I believe that you purchased from us back five years ago, Thank you again.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82269

Thanks Joe...you happen to have a picture of what the transom mount looks like? Also the parts I got from you? I have a lot of stuff that got all mixed together during the divorce, and it woulld be far easier to find. Either way, thanks for the response!

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82270

Actually, I recall I purchased the dual OMC ignition plate from you folks. Was a beatiful piece and was bought for this project!

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82283

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
AL,: WELCOME . Those bigger Glasspars are nifty models.. A few members also have projects.. Prior Troy & Poughkeepsie. What
part of New York you in .??
We got the mid 60's SeaFair Sedan 17 1/2 ' stuff. Did you ever read that book about the dual engine boat that went from New York city , up thru the inland passages across country .?

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82290

Hi Al,
Presently I am concerned about the security of my desktop where all my pictures are, so I will have to resolve this or come up with another way.

Regards,
Joe
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82323

No problem joe, pretty sure I have a work around - appreciate the effort.

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82324

Hey Split,

I am aware of it, but only read excerpts that were on here ( or one of the other sites I belonged to)at one time. It's a pretty cool boat, leaving the cabin as original as possible, but will be doing a lot to the cockpit. It is going to be a working resto, meaning I'll be using it as I go, but should be fun. Still has the original horsehair cushions in the cabin! I'm on Long island, huntington area.

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 1 month ago #82359

whatsleft,

WELCOME BACK.- GOOD LUCK on the Glasspar.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 3 weeks ago #83916

Hi Al,
I finally had an opportunity to take picture of a Ride-Guide transom mount assembly as I was referring to.

Best Regards,
Joe

Profile Picture:

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 2 weeks ago #84019

Thanks Joe - did you post them? I don't see anything.

Re:FINALLY starting 58 Club Mariner-Ride Guide Pics? 11 years 2 weeks ago #84028

Hi Al,
I took new pictures with a phone camera, and they were too large to post. I also tried to delete this last post, but could not find a way to do so. If you will e-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., I can send the pictures easily .

Thank You,
Joe

Profile Picture:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online