TOPIC: I have a vintage outboard question

I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #81995

• Surf6oh
  • Surf6oh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,

So I was cleaning out the basement (foundation issues - UGH ) and came across a 1951 Evinrude 3hp outboard (I think it's a 51 - can't remember) Anyhoo, I do still have all the original paperwork and manuals with it and it seems to be in excellent condition - paint and overall visual inspection. (I know it's been in the basement for at least 40 years) I have a guy asking me about it wanting me to sell it to him, any idea a fair asking price?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #81998

Surf6oh,

WELCOME ABOARD.

I saw an Unused/MINT Light-twin 3HP for sale at the Chesapeake Bay Chapter (AOMCI) show & sale day in 2011 that "went unsold" for 150.oo.

Truth is, there is LITTLE "collector interest" in those OBs & you might have better luck selling it to a local fisherman, as that OB would be FINE to power a light "tin boat".
Presuming that it runs properly, it might bring 100-150.oo to a fisherman.

BEST WISHES, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #81999

I paid I think $25 for one that hung in a shed for over 30 years and it was a 52 5 hp. I took it home and had it running in less than two hours.

Re:I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #82000

• Surf6oh
  • Surf6oh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Guys thanks for the answers. I was thinking $75 or so.

The guy that wants it is building a nice lake cabin and wants it for wall decor, said it's perfect since it's small HP and in real nice shape.

Thanks again!

Re:I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #82001

Might want to take a few pics place it on EBAY for a week or so first. You might be suprised on how bad someone might want it. I have 2 1968 4hp McCulloch's. Was offered $75.00 for it locally. Threw it on ebay as a parts only outboard and got $200.00 for it? Just saying it might be worth a try... nothing to loose

Change is Opportunity!

Re:I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #82004

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Those twin 3hp "Weedless" are some the BEST motors made. Smooth, quiet, idle WAY down for duck hunting, etc. I still have 2 in the shed, a Johnny and a Belgium made Rude. Wouldn't take less than $200. Sold one on Ebay for $200, plus shipping. They are still much wanted. Get it fired up and Ebay it. Be surprised. That belongs on a boat, not a wall!

Re: I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #82007

Robert-lorigan,

My TREASURE (NOPE. NOT for sale, as it PURRS right along on a little Eldo-Craft tin jonboat.) is a 7.5HP 1958 Johnson OB, which I paid 20.oo for at a garage sale. - Turns out that it had been used TWICE since '58, when I bought it in 2004.

New coils, plugs, condensers, carb kit, pump impeller and wires installed (SIERRA parts from our friendly local NAPA store) & for <100.oo it hasn't "missed a lick" in 8 years.
(Probably my best purchase ever, as it will probably outlast ME.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #82011

Same here only I used the parts that came with it. All I did was put 2 cycle gas in it and turned it over with a 1/2 inch drill. I had to tear the rope starter off. It is frayed a bit from a mouse attack.After a few minutes I seen blue smoke coming out of the water. I pullede off the drill and it idled so nice ,slow and quiet. Still have it although I don't use it.

Re: I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #82032

robert-lorigan,

FYI, I found, after LOTS of soap, water & scrubbing, "near new" maroon paint on the little 7.5. = There was literally 1/4-3/8 inch of DIRT & CRUD "settled upon" the OB. - It hadn't been even LOOKED AT until the night before the garage sale & had been hanging in a horse barn in Middleburg, VA all those years.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: I have a vintage outboard question 11 years 1 month ago #82051

Sounds the same here. It looked like black soot and grease.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online