• Page:

TOPIC: paint

paint 11 years 1 month ago #81754

• charles
  • charles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
has any one used Valspar oil base enamel tractor paint on a boat I was at Fleet Farm today and seen it and like one of the colors I know some have used Rust-Olium paint
Charles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:paint 11 years 1 month ago #81767

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I would avoid that stuff if you can. There is no UV protectant in it. Would quickly dull and fade. If your going to go through all the work to paint it, I would try to spring for something decent that would hold up for a while.

Re:paint 11 years 1 month ago #81774

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I painted the GT150 with it last year Charles, before Tractor Supply Co switched to another brand. Used IH Red and White, with the Valspar hardener at the ratio discussed in threads here. It's only been a year, and my boat doesn't sit outside when not in use so I can't testify to the fading. (Plus I keep it buffed and polished, so hopefully there won't be any issues!?)

That being said, I do agree with Buguy that you should use the best paint you can possibly afford. The labor (mostly preparing to paint) is the worst part, very time consuming and not something you want to repeat again any time soon. ;)
Attachments:

Mark

Re:paint 11 years 1 month ago #81780

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Boat looks great Mark! I think keeping it out of the sun is key with that paint.
If yours is going to see much sun I would look into Dupont Nason single stage paint. Seems like the last time I sprayed it, it was about $200 for a gallon with hardener. Its good paint and has a great shine. If you want it even better, a base/clear would be the ticket. I used to use Sherwin Williams automotive paint and it worked well for the money (could probably be done for ($200-$300). Clear coat will have the best UV protection and is harder/stronger than single stage paints.

Re:paint 11 years 1 month ago #81781

• charles
  • charles's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I thought that they had a clear coat also the color that I want to paint is John Deer yellow I am building a center console out of a
1971 Larson 17 run about I used Rust-Olium on the bottom of my Pipestone and it has held up for over 5 years
Charles

Re:paint 11 years 1 month ago #81809

Why would a Co make a paint for a tractor that fades real bad.

All the tractors and combines we owned stayed outside all year and they did not fade.

CAVU

Re:paint 11 years 1 month ago #81820

It will dull but it will do if your bucks ($) are in short supply. If you can afford better I would. Sun does play a big role in it. Painted a tractor once that only got hit with the sun on one side all the time. You could see the difference.

Re:paint 11 years 1 month ago #81836

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Maybe it's just because I am as old as dirt I remember using Valspar Varnish on Grandad's Trojan runabout. Yes they have changed like everything else. But check it out if you like it.

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:paint 11 years 1 month ago #81837

Iwax my new holland every year otherwise the blue looks washed out. Ron
]TallTexan wrote:[/b]

Why would a Co make a paint for a tractor that fades real bad.

All the tractors and combines we owned stayed outside all year and they did not fade.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online