Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960s Crownline

1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81462

Hey all,

This is my first post as a new member. I recently bought an early 60's crownline 14' runabout with a 40hp johnson. I was wondering if anyone could positively identify the model / year of the boat?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81464

motoscott,

WELCOME ABOARD.

IF your hull has a serial number, you can sometimes find someone, who has a "by year" serial number list. Otherwise, you may find yourself comparing hull shape, trim, etc. to figure our APPROXIMATELY which year that your boat is.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81466

Thanks Satx,

I cannot seem to find a serial # or ID tag anywhere. My guess is that it has long been gone. There dosent seem to be much info about the original crownline company around. It still does have the original emblem from the dealer that sold it, "lubbers" in Hudsonville, MI, but i cannot find any information on them either.

From this site I have determined it is somewhere between a 60' and a 63', but am not sure about the model. The engine serial # comes back as a 1962 model year, but i am not 100% sure if it is the original engine.
Attachments:

Re: 1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81467

another pic of us on the Grand River a couple weeks back
Attachments:

Re: 1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81469

motoscott909,

LUCKY YOU. - That '62 model 40HP Johnson is a GREAT engine. = Simple, easy to maintain, LOTS of new parts made by SIERRA & grossly "over-engineered", when compared to most OB.
(Since 1958, when I got my first 30HP BigTwin, I've never seen one that was "worn-out in service".)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: 1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81470

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Motoscott909, Welcome to the crew! The Crownline was made in Ill. The link below will show you factory brochures from about 1956/7 to 1965. Hopefully you will be able to spot your boat. Please note a manufacturer who has a popular deck and hull design may use it for several years. Must be un naturally warm up there I didn't see any ice flow. Must be the lower Grand near the Ohio line. "GO BUC's"

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Crownline

Float Happy - Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re: 1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81472

Thanks for the link and all the info, i appreciate the help.

Im really happy with the boat overall. I only paid $350 for it, which I thought was pretty darn good. The guy I bought it from hadnt used it since 1993 (last sticker expired in 1995). I had to put a coil in the ol' Johnson and set the points, but other than that it i didnt do anything, it seems to run very well.

The weather up here is actually fairly mild for this time of year (low 70's). The picture of us on the river was taken just a few miles downstream of lake michigan from Grand Haven. This is the first boat ive owned, even though I grew up boating. I've lived no more than 20 minutes from lake michigan / Grand Haven my entire life

Scott

Re:1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81474

What a great deal! Most of us pay more than that for a project boat that needs everything. Several months and several hundred (or more) dollars later we get to where you started.

Congratulations,
Bill

Re:1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81476

Thanks Bill,

The boat was listed on craigslist with a very vauge description and a blurry picture, but the price seemed right. I asked the seller on the phone if he was willing to budge on price and he said he was, so i decided to take a look.

When I got there and saw the boat I didnt even haggle on price. I handed him the $350 he was asking and hooked it to the truck. LOL.

I think the seller just assumed that it is a 50 year old boat that has been sitting for 20 years, so it wasnt worth much.

Scott

Re:1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81479

Welcome aboard!

Look very carefully at the brochures and make comparisons to your boat. Pay close attention to dimensions listed in the brochure and take dimensions of your boat.

The logo would indicate 1961 or newer (I think).

Look under the splash well on the transom for builder's tag. On my 1965 Thompson built by Crownline that's were it is located. An oval shaped metal tag with maker and city and a serial number.

Of course, no one has any idea what the serial number may or may not indicate. No one has "broken" the code.

Andreas

Re:1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81487

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Great find and a great price.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81499

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Congrads on your find! Its nice to have another Michigan Fiberglassic Boater!
Regards,
StevieB

Re:1960s Crownline 11 years 2 months ago #81522

Welcome aboard. Nice boat.

Re: correct category 11 years 2 months ago #81539

some kick a## grass??????????

Re:1960s Crownline 11 years 1 month ago #81939

Nice boat! I don't know anything about the previous Crownline company, but if they built them anything like the newer one, it's one durable boat. My parents have an '05 24' bowrider, and it's a great boat, excellent quality.

1958 Cutter Avon 17', '59 Johnson Fat Fifty, Yellow on Yellow, original Riverdale trailer
1990 Harris Sunliner 200SX pontoon, '90 Force 35, Blue on Blue, '98 Hoosier trailer

Re:1960s Crownline 11 years 1 month ago #81957

There was and is NO connection with the current Crownline Boats of West Frankfort, ILL and the 1950s-1960s Crownline of Onarga and later Cairo, ILL. Just pure coincidence that the newer firm formed in 1992? choose that name.

Andreas

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online