Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The 2 best days of a boaters life...

The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81417

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
...PALE by comparison to the one and only day that you finally get your FIRST boat wet. After about 3 years of slowly puttin' things together we got our Mark58 back and on the boat. She started right up after the first crank and I want to tell you Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, NO ONE on this planet had more fun than Robin and I did. The motor purred like a kitten. We got the boat up on an easy plane. The boat handled well (although there was virtually no chop on Saturday). The only thing I did wrong was mix the gas a bit too rich so I swapped out the plugs and went WOT to try and blow whatever gunk there was out and she was back to purrin' like a kitten again. I think I could get used to this kind of fun.

This is what my son did.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81419

Good for you, gotta love it! Great pic too! That boy of yours has TALENT!

Frank

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81420

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Congrats... no better feeling. The boating is fun, the sense of accomplishment is even better!

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re: The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81423

Shipster,

CONGRADS.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81424

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
You obviously did a great job, now you get the rewards. Congrats.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81495

Outstanding bud, good for you!!

Bob

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81523

Congratulations.

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81528

shipster,thats fantastic buddy,im so darn happy for you,heck we only got one ride in the custom crat sunray,before it was sold to a nice fellow in California,
I hope you have a lot more time on the water,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81544

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Proud to see it happen for you Shipster, ENJOY! I agree, the son has some talent there.

Mark

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81571

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks everyone. As a new motorboater the first thing I learned is that these little runabouts are way different from the sailboats that I'm used to. We have a Tartan 27 that all total weighs about 5 tons. When you are coming up to the dock you can cut the motor off altogether and still have momentum to get you where you want to be. Not so much with a little runabout that dripping wet with no ballast weighs in about 750 max. I was banging the crap out of her big time on the pilings when I really didn't want to. I guess the next time I get her out I will spend a couple 3 hours or so doing touch and go's at the dock. That said I'm damn glad that I didn't paint the hull just yet. Videos to come. Again, thanks.
Shipley

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81580

Shipley,
Yep takes a little getting use to if you've never done it before. Especially on the windy days with the tide coming in blowing you at an angle while your trying to come into the dock, or so I've been told anyway! ;)

Bob

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81593

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
We'll be looking forward to the video(s) for sure! So far in my short tenure as a Glassic owner I've had the privilege of operating three different hull designs on the water. All three handled differently, each with it's own quirks and characteristics. (Still learning on the most recent - GT150) Practice makes perfect, I use it as an excuse for another outing with the war dept. at home - "gotta go on a training run"! :)

Mark

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 2 months ago #81602

You touched on a real interesting subject. I do no use docks because of just what you said. My boat is small and wind and waves send it everywhere. I just beach it even when dock is there. Last time I painted it a friend went fishing with me first trip out. I told him to stay away from the dock while I parked the truck. Well he pulled it to the dock and a boat passed by and my boat without fenders was bashing up and down against the dock. She still bears the scars although I retouched them. The scratches were 9 inches up and down on the hull. A paintjob should last more than one trip. Never took him with me again but because he would not touch fish he caught. He put on nylon gloves and then threw them overboard after unhooking a fish. A fish ate the glove after I bitched about it and was going after the gloves. Then he got one that ate the hook. Instead of cutting it he yanked it out of a bass's gullet. THAT WAS ALL I COULD TAKE. GRRRRRRR

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 4 weeks ago #83423

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi All. Got the Crosby back out over the weekend again and Robert, I took a page out of your book and simply beached the boat at a couple of places. Not so bad around here in that it's mostly sand. Fortunately that's all I hit. I did also do a bunch of touch and go's at the dock. Gettin' better at that. Man this is fun stuff!!! Til next time...
shipster

Re:The 2 best days of a boaters life... 11 years 4 weeks ago #83484

Most Excellent!!!!!!!!!!! Practice make perfect! ;)

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online