Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins...

New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81177

After nearly two decades of trying to get this boat from my ex-father-inlaw, a good guy, it finally came home with me. I spent some time trying to figure out exactly what it was in the archives, as the emblems are missing, along with the windshield, but he finally remembered the brand. It's been slowly sinking into his yard ever since I can remember, but was always stored inclined so the water drained out. I know little about boats, I'm a car guy, but I'd like to get this water-worthy after my current dune-buggy project.

While the hull appears to be solid, the engine is old. A V4sL-11 Johnson, which I think is a 58-59ish. The lower portion went out, and needed a gear, and was lost over the years. I don't know if that's the engine I want to try to fix, or locate something else. Any thoughts or words of wisdom is appreciated...

Pictures as it sits today. I have to get some tires for the trailer and do the wheel bearings before anything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81181

Eyerush, welcome aboard, nice boat, with fins no less! Engine looks to be a "Fat Fifty", lots of torqure just not real fuel efficient. I have the Evinrude Golden Jubilee version ('59). That should be a great project. Lot's of good folks here to help when you have questions.

Bob

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81183

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Eyerush, Welcome to the crew. There should be a plastic builders tag on the left side of the motor splash well. I to have that model Renken. Mine was made in 1964. I also have yet to redo mine. Perhaps we can share notes as we go thru them.
Al
Attachments:

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re: New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81184

eyerush,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81187

morris wrote:

Hello Eyerush, Welcome to the crew. There should be a plastic builders tag on the left side of the motor splash well. I to have that model Renken. Mine was made in 1964. I also have yet to redo mine. Perhaps we can share notes as we go thru them.
Al

Cool! Yours is the second one I've ever seen. :)

Where exactly would this tag be? I'll have to go double check...

I would be interested in photos of your windshield, dash area, and other details... Im pretty sure mine was modified to run the Johnson...

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81189

Of course I went out and looked.... didn't find anything. We previously looked all over for any kind of markings or tags, but found none. Was hoping to get lucky..

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81190

Welcome aboard and nice boat. Nothing looks like a fat fifty. I too own a 35 hp Golden Jubilee. I didn't get it finished last winter due to lack of capitol but plan on finishing it soon after I get the boat work done in good weather.
Attachments:

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81191

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
eyerush wrote:

Of course I went out and looked.... didn't find anything. We previously looked all over for any kind of markings or tags, but found none. Was hoping to get lucky..

Your tag should be visible in this photo. According to my tag the boats were rated to 45 hp from the factory. I will post up some pic's when I get home this evening
Al

www.g3owners.com

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81192

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Nice to see the Natuloy bow light is still on yours. mine is missing. Renken used natuloy hardware on these boats. Some manufactures left the hardware up to the dealer.does yours still have the side pockets inside? Renken used some interesting color schemes My boat was originally a Coral pink with white hull.

www.g3owners.com

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81193

What is a side pocket, and where would it be? LOL... sorry for my ignorance on this thing. There is a glassed-in wedge-shaped "pocket" of sorts under the left side of the dash, about the size of a 9x17" notebook and probably 4" thick... but I'm scared to stick my hand down in it.

As for the engine... how hard is it to located the missing lower parts? Or would it be easier to try and locate another setup?

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81354

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
eyerush, Sorry for taking long than I intended. Here are some pictures of the 64 Renken. These were taken the day we brought it home.
Attachments:

www.g3owners.com

Re:New guy, old boat. 1961 Renken with tailfins... 11 years 2 months ago #81398

That is neat.... does your steering wheel say Quicksilver cast into the top of the ring?

Also, there was a Nautalloy bow light like mine on eBay, but it was $150...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online