• Page:

TOPIC: Electrical ??

Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81158

• moultom
  • moultom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently bought a 1965 lee craft 18 viking sedan. The motor runs great and the boat is in very good condition. The Mercruiser controls and gauges all work and the tilt works fine. None of my panel switches worked so I was looking into it. I was stuck on a couple of weird issues. I had 12v at the switch to the wipers(two different switches left and right) and 12v to the bilge pump and 12 v to the blower in the engine compartment. As soon as I switch any one of them on my voltage goes to zero but I don't blow any fuses? I ran out of time and am thinking a ground issue. Any ideas are welcome.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mick

Re:Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81198

First thing I would check for is a bad ground connection. Could be at the switch, or wherever the switch ground terminates. Bad grounds can show continuity under very light loads and then fail when the power is put to them.

That's a nice looking boat. I like the way the paint job makes it look finned.

Re:Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81214

Where are you measuring from? If you put a meter across the switch going from 12v to 0 is normal. When switched ON both sides of the switch are at the same voltage potential. Therefor the meter will show 0V. Make sure you are reading from the switch to a good ground(Battery Negative).

Daniel

Re:Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81250

• moultom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, I haven't had much time to get back to it.

Mick

Re:Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81251

• moultom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Daniel, thanks I didn't have much time the first go round but I will get back to it. I measured in a few spots, but I did measure right on the fuse panel and lost 12v when I turned any thing on. The other thing I noticed is away from the main bank of switches on the other side of the steering wheel there is hole where it looks like there was a switch. I was wondering if some of these old boats had master switches.

Mick

Re:Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81366

• moultom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Got the old girl out a bit on the water today and she starts and runs pretty good. Didn't make any progress on the electrical issue but will get back on that. Only was able to make 20mph at 3000rpm, not sure if not able to plane out all the way or what. I think the WOT rpm should be around 4200rpm. Not sure how the tilt is supposed to work on this old girl. The tilt only goes up with power and down with gravity both pistons are up pistons and when you put it down it there is a lock to keep it from popping up when you go into reverse.
I loved the look of the boat because it looks older than it is. The white that looks like the tailfin was originally a metal flake blue so it was a bit ugly. I love the color of your boat I have thought about a similar color combo on this one.

Mick

Re:Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81368

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Lots of things could cause low RPM at WOT...overheating, bad compression, timing, wrong propeller, fuel delivery issue (carb, filter, fuel line, etc.)

First, I would do a compression check...bad compression means low power. If good, take the RPM's to about 2,500 (in neutral) and adjust the timing to see if you can peak the RPM's. After that, if you can get it up to 4,200 or close (in neutral) with good compression and it's not overheating, I'd be ready to blame the prop...too much pitch.

Of course, it could be something else but it always pays to "round up the usual suspects" first. Good luck!

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81373

It would help to know exactly how you had your meter connected. I don't know your boat, but there may be no ground in your fuse box to measure from. If you are measuring from the fuse or from +12V than you will only see 12V on your meter when you are checking the ground side of the electrical load, or across an open in the circuit. I think you were measuring from the fuse to the load side of the switch. This is only telling you that the switch is connected to power and working.

Daniel

Re:Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81644

• moultom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks I was trying to figure out how to figure the if it was the prop. I haven't had even a moment to get to it for a couple of weeks. I will give this a shot.

Mick

Re: Electrical ?? 11 years 2 months ago #81647

moultom,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Electrical ?? 11 years 1 month ago #81894

• moultom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks!

Mick

Re: Electrical ?? 11 years 1 month ago #82139

When I started on the rebuild of my 62 Dorsett one of the first things I did was pull all the wires and started over again. I thought it was well worth the effort and expense, old wires and water don't mix!

Re: Electrical ?? 11 years 1 month ago #82141

tdavis193,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Electrical ?? 11 years 1 month ago #82548

• moultom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Nautilus, took your advice and it will get up to 5k rpm really quick in neutral, temp is great. Advanced the timing a bit but started pinging so moved it back. Still likes 3k rpm so I am guessing too much prop.

Mick
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle