Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Johnson Delux topside texture

Johnson Delux topside texture 11 years 2 months ago #80868

I'm looking at a 1965 Johnson Deluxe 17' I/O with some gunwail issues (holes in fiberglass). The topsides of the boat have a texture. I'm thinking it was done for non-slip reasons. Wondering how to duplicate this texture where patching needs to be done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Johnson Delux topside texture 11 years 2 months ago #81020

You are correct, the texture was non - slip, and it was also the "in" look that designers liked to use at that time. It's going to be extremely difficult to patch it without it looking like a patch. You have to be able to grind back holes and damage to feather them before filling, and that will destroy the original surface. You could try doing your repair, then gelcoat the area and lay a scrap of textured vinyl face-down over the wet gelcoat. When the gelcoat cures, peel the vinyl off (the gelcoat won't adhere to it) with the hopes that the texture somewhat blends with the hull. It would be worth a try at least. 99% that you would be better off "grain filling" all of the textured areas and going to a smooth surface.

Good luck with it.

Re:Johnson Delux topside texture 11 years 2 months ago #81049

Thanks, Bruce. Wondering if there isn't a product or technique that would allow a person to make a "mold" of the existing texture and then somehow "stamp" it into the new glass repair? I have never attempted any sort of fiberglass work. I'm a woodie guy with an eye to classic glass.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online