Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ???

Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #80724

• g3bill
  • g3bill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Just wondering as this was brought up on another forum by a new member wondering if he'd fit in as his boat was a early 70's model. So what do you think the definition of Glassic is to you? I'm thinking Boats from the '80's and newer can't be Classic/Glassics or can they? Or would you go buy unusual styling only like a g3, dorsett or fin boat etc.? I'm confused :)

Don't just lurk, post a thought....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #80728

Some groups use a year definition.

Other folks just think ... does it look cool?

Others say which one of these three type of boat is it? Is it a new boat? A used boat? A classic boat? And then, in their minds, decide which fits the boat in front of their eyes.

Personally, I will go out on a limb here and say that I thought that the nice WebbCraft a week or so ago was a used boat, not a classic boat. But, I like the brand and the function and age range so it was a used boat that I lusted after, along with the poster.

Cllear as mud?

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #80737

Anyone else?

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #80738

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
A classic boat is in the eye of the beholder. It all has to do with styling. Maybe a decent definition could be a boat that was built in comparitively low numbers, has "good lines," was manufactured prior to about 1970 and will never be made again. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can't really define the term but I damned sure know one when I see it. Also, it has been my experience that any old beat-up boat suddenly becomes "a classic" as soon as the owner offers it for sale.

I, myself, am old but not considered a classic. I'm more of a colorful collectible that needs restoration.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #80739

As far as I’m concerned ?
It's all relativ and depends on your point of view ?
I’m close to 52 years old now. And my view is: The first boat that I remember that my dad had is a classic (around 1967), any boat beyond that point is a newer style boat to me, because I’ve seen a lot of them. Also to me, Grandpa’s boat is an antique.
Now if you look thru my daughter’s eyes ? Grandpa’s boat is historical, my dad’s boat is an Antique, boats while I grew up are classics, and boats she remembers are new.
So I figure it should be based on generation/ or year, regardless of manufacturer, model, or how pretty it looks ?
Just my opinion ?

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #80740

Bill I have found that each and every Glassic style forum or chat room has a slightly different opinion as to what constitutes a classic. Being in the Classic Car industry I run across the same type of thing daily. It cracks me up inside at what some people consider a classic. Where terms like old and vintage attaches a time line or age on a vehicle a Classic is a term of endearment. Classic are the old ones that stood the test of time and are still cool and more desirable than most. That puts us right back in the opinion category. I think I might of been the new guy on the other site that brought up this question. I was just trying to get a feel for if I belonged there, or if I just had a good used boat? This forum has gone a bit further by adding the 70's Disco section on the main page which kinda of clears things up. While my boat was built in in 72 it looks exactly like a 68 model Bell Boy which was described as a Glassic... So who knows LOL

I did find this explanation here on this forum and found it interesting reading before I joined. It kind of answered my questions before I ever started this forum making me feel more comfortable here right out of the box.

Titled: Just what is a "FiberGlassic"
www.fiberglassics.com/new-visitors/just-what-is-a-fiberglassic
Continued thread:
www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/just-what-is-a-quot-fiberglassic-quot

I really like how the main page is set up encompassing a wide range of boats spanning over several years. It gives those of us on the Virge of GLASSICISM a benefit of a doubt. I have found that my boat is too old for the newer snooty forums, and not quite old enough for the full on classic forums, so I have really taken to this forum. It seems like a great group who seem more helpful and knowledgeable than most forums. Not too big, and not too small, not to new, not to old but... Just right!

Change is Opportunity!

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #80921

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I think it needs to be a sliding scale. I can remember in 1984 I had a 66 Mustang and it wasn't classic enough to take to the Hershey, PA car show. But a guy down the road had the Carlisle swap meet and he'd let in anything up to 1974. So we started going to Carlise.

Those years are now long gone and I can't bring myself to believe a 1992 Camaro is a classic. But there is some kid out there right now working on one in his garage. Why exclude him?

I say 20 years... any one who has a 20 year old boat has a classic boat. Now cool boats that's another story. :)

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #80924

I have trouble with a 20 or 25 year rule. I do not think that a 1950 or 1750 model Bayliner is a classic Boat. Sorry.

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81222

I like the "loose" interpretation.

Is it old? Is it cool? Is it old and cool? Then it's a classic.

Is it old and cool and fiberglass? Then it's a "Glassic". :)

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re: Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81223

g3bill,

FWIW, I think that a classic is: at least 25 years old, is of quality manufacture and exudes "class" in design.

OTOH, an "antique boat", imVho, is easy to define: 50 years or older; some "antique boats" are anything BUT "classic".
(For example, my 1956 Lone Star 14' open fisherman is "antique" but nothing that anyone would call "classic". - It's just a "using", plain OLD boat that's worth LESS than the Johnnyrude OB that pushes it.)

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81224

g3bill; All,

FWIW, I think that we "boat folk" need to come up with a "separate category" for a FEW modern boats that are nowhere near 25YO, as they are essentially "worth preserving" as much at 5 years old as 50.
(MOST of the boats that I'm talking about are "one of a kind" and many are "original commissioned designs" built for a knowledgeable/discriminating yachtsman.)

just my opinion, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81226

I have used Historic: 1918 and earlier.
Antique: 1919-1942
Classic: 1943-1975 and I fudge on the 1975 depending on the boat.

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81228

I read on the Boating Pittsburgh site last year about a 10 year old boat being old. I cracked up and mentioned mine was over 50. Hey I always wanted an MFG Gypsy. I just liked it. Classic, I don't know, maybe to me if I had one. Last one I tried to buy he wanted way to much for it. It had steering but no boat controls and no floor or transom. All for $600. Trailer had no title.

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81230

ditto dave......cc1000 wrote:

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81231

We talking about old or stuff that was the my objects of lust when I was growing up?

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81244

I wanted a classic fiberglass boat because I had one as a young man but could not afford the time or money to use it as I was busy raising a family. Forty-three years ago I bought a boat that looked very much like my current Sabre Craft Pacer 15. I bought it when my wife was in the hospital having twin boys. As you might imagine, we didn't find much time to go boating with twins and a four year old at home. So the boat was sold. Now I have a "glassic" fiberglass boat and here is a photo of one of those boys taking Mom out for her first ride in a boat similar to the one she had no time for forty-three years ago. That's what "classic" is all about to me.

Bet it is a little different story for each of us, so the definition is going to be a little different as well.

Cheers,
Bill
Attachments:

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81245

cc1000 wrote:

I'm a new guy, but this nails how I would explain to to somebody who asked....

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81259

Yep that's pretty much it.

Bob

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81285

Classic is in the eye of the beholder.
For me what makes it a “Classic” is all in how you talk about it.
1. Classic can be an era … ”The fins on that boat are classic late 50’s mega fins”.
2. Classic can be typical… “The radar ach on that Bayliner gives it a classic Miami Vice look”.
3. Classic can be bar setters… “In the early 70’s Boston Whaler modified the hull design, now it’s a better ride but looses some of its classic stability”.
4. Classic can be timeless… ”The simple sporty Glastron GT-150 with James Bond & world record ties is a timeless classic”.

Defining classic by year is a way to draw a line in the sand. Good for licenses and shows.

Re:Whats a Glassic/Classic Boat IYO ??? 11 years 2 months ago #81330

cc1000 hit the nail on the head I think:

Is it old and cool and fiberglass? Then it's a "Glassic".

I almost want to say "And I got it for under $500" but that wouldn't be fair!

Hello, World!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle