Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: trying to sand my boat down

trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80687

I'm trying to sand my boat down but the paint just wont come of. First if one layer came of, the next layer cracks and it will go on like that. Right now there happends nothing it stays on the same layer. How can I get it of and do I need a special sander? Here are some pics how it looks right now:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80695

What are you sanding with? What grit? What do you want to do about the porosity after you have all the gelcoat off and you are into the laminate? Are you going to re-gelcoat?

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80698

I sanded mine all the way to the mat because the cracks ran that deep and it was a hard dirty process. My boat does not sit in the water and is only wet when in use so mine just has Rustolium paint but with three coats of a good primer first. I had a ton of filling too. I started with 80 grit and switched to 40 but was real careful. This had a failed attempt at painting. These are gouge marks partway through the gel. A nightmare to deal with. I have so much work into this thing but after I got started I was going to finish. I'm just that way. Was it worth it? I have to say yes. I have the satisfaction of doing it all myself. I do not have the budget for gel coat so paint had to do. I'll just be fishing anyway. But it is mine. Before. After

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80700

nice job. You should be proud.

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80725

You need to be a bit more specific , are you planning to remove the gel-coat also or just the paint ? If just the paint go to Home Depot and buy a gallon of Citri-Strip paint remover its gel-coat safe and wont leave grinding digs in the gel , if removing the gel just keep sanding until your down to fresh mat use 36 to 40 grit on a good orbital .

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80727

Gelcoat is the finish coat for a fiberglass boat. Once you have it all off... are you or a pro going to put on a new gelcoat finish?

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80777

I am somewhat proud of it but it is a far cry from a trailer queen and definitely not a show boat. I only have myself to please. But someday my Grandson may be elated to receive Pappy's old boat that is incredibly old. (1959 and to him it would be ancient since he is now four.) I also am giving him my Grandfathers Model 71 348 Winchester so he already has a very collectible rifle.
Attachments:

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80779

Cute kid. Nice gun. My granddaughter is 3. Grandson 1.

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80806

robert-lorigan,

CUTE KID & LUCKY too.
(I've wanted a .348 for DECADES & never have found one. = Finally bought a presentable .33Winchester, which CAN safely be loaded at almost have the power of the .348WCF.)

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80820

I'm having a bit of a problem on who gets what and I am in a quandary on some of it. I'm bypassing my son's on that gun and want to make sure it gets to him and not sold. I have many worthy guns but this Grandson carries the name of the original owner, as did my Dad ,me and my son. My Son is not real happy he will not be getting possession before him but that is what I wAnt. Lets say he has sold some things given to him that were not meant to be sold and leave it at that. They both want my 62 F-100 too but I'm getting buried in it. LOL

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #80930

I carry guns when I am cruising. Never had to even pump the shotgun to scare off someone.

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #81019

Forget sanding it - take it somewhere that does industrial sandblasting and have them take a look at it. Be certain that the person doing the blasting is skilled and will be careful with the hull. Have them use #60 mesh sand, and tell them to keep the nozzle about 16" or more from the surface of the hull. The process goes quickly, and the results are excellent. You will have to fair and smooth the surface after the blasting, but it will be FAR less work than trying to level a surface after using a grinder on it. You will need professional equipment to do this yourself - and a hood with a fresh air supply so you don't inhale silica and fiberglass dust. The compressor needs to be able to push 100 to 200 CFM, so usually a large industrial facility is the only place you will find that.

Re:trying to sand my boat down 11 years 2 months ago #81315

thanks!!! thats definetly something i will try to get done. I actually never thought about it. but i now some people who can do it for me.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online