Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: looking for info and restoring my wacanda

looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #80659

Ok first of all i'm new so i hope i'm putting this in the right area.i just picked up a wacanda jet boat that was my grandfathers toy. I was interested in it for a long time but finally had to make a move on her when i seen them pull it out of the shed and into a field. Didn't like the thought of seeing this thing sit out there and rot. Plus didn't feel right to let my grandpa's last toy rot for no reason. Anyway the info that comes with it is minimal to say the least. What i gathered from some poking around is that it entered idaho in 69, not that that means much, is a wacanda twin v-6 powered, supposedly buicks, 20footer vee-hull. Now this is my first ever boat so i want to make sure things are like they are supposed to be, or within whatever the rules are. I do know a bit about engines and electrical from mechanic work and having a mud truck. One thing i found out quickly is it is heavy and honestly the single axle makes me nervous. It seemed to want to throw my3/4 ton diesel down hills and pitch and roll on hills and corners. Any help would be extremely appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #80670

• StevieB
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome to the Group!

Here is where you start:

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Wacanda

Regards,
StevieB

Re:looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #80671

Wow, that is one cool boat. And, no wood stringers. It's great that you want to rescue Grandpa's toy. Good luck with the restoration. Lots of good info on this forum.

Here's a page with some general info on the Buick V6 motors.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

These motors shared a lot of design factors with Buick's "Nailhead" V8 motors. Some had aluminum blocks and some were cast iron. Generally known to be bulletproof.

Re: looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #80674

duramaxkyle,

WELCOME ABOARD.

"Taking care of" your grandfather's toy is a GOOD THING, imVho.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #80679

Wacandas are wonderful boats, built to last and tough as a nails. I have a 16ft. Husky and it is one of the best and funnest boats I have ever owned.
A great resource is Doug Crum's website, he has done a lot of research and may be able to help with some details.
www.freewebs.com/wacandaboats/
Attachments:

Re:looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #80697

Welcome aboard.

Re:looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #80722

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Yes i have been poking around and the wacanda site is where i got some info like the vee-hull model. However it still doesn't have any details on it. Also the hull looks deeper on mine then the ones in the pic and seems to have what i am guessing is the hurricane bow, as they call it. Yes it kinda was breaking my heart to see the old gal there begging for someone to take care of her. Same thing happened to me earlier with the 74 buick electra 225 4door with a 455.4 that was sitting in a shed type garage thing for over 10 years. now i'm breathing life back into it. like i said since i never messed with boats really, aside from riding, driving, or kneeboarding and tubing behind. I don't know really how to start. Like if this is a really simple and easy to work on thing or if its like my girlfriends buick with the transverse 3.8l that i have dissassemble just to replace parts in the head. Or if it is something like just cleaning lines, tanks, engine,new gaskets and fluids and she lives. Also curious if there is some spot on the boat like the door jam of a vehicle where i can get info about it. like the year made and such.

Sorry if this is asking to much i just am venturing into unfamilar terrain here and last i want to do is to go put it in the water and it sinks or blows up or something. I know it might seem stupid but i just don't want to run the risk of ruining something like this. Also i am pretty sure the rubber or whatever they are called on the trailer need replaced and not sure how to do that without putting it in the water and replacing them. Also not sure if that's something that has to be bought at a boat shop or what. Its the pieces that contact the hull cause i am sure they are rotten or close too. Again sorry for all the questions just not wanting to screw up.

Re:looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #81130

ok to be clearer i guess i'm curious if i can rebuild the the engines and clean the tanks just like a car or if i need special marine stuff. Also maybe i didn't see it but is there a place to get seals and the sliders and stuff online or do i just have to pray a boat shop around here has what i need???

Re:looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #81169

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Kyle, I'm hesitant to give any advise on specifics since I don't know that much about inboards, but I can give you some general opinions on your task at hand. If you can find a local marine parts dealer with knowledge on your project, they can be worth their weight in gold with advise and direction. The little bit of extra money you may spend on the parts may be saved in the long run with avoided aggravation and frustration from not knowing many of the "inside information" that only years of experience can provide.

Short of that, online resources like www.marineengine.com and the like can be great places to source the marine specific parts for your powerplant(s). (Carburetors, distributors, starters, alternators, fuel pumps, etc. should always be marine certified pieces when replacements are sourced.)

For trailer parts (rollers, hardware, wheel and tire assy's, etc.) I've always found www.easternmarine.com a good source.

Let us know what part of the country you're in and maybe we can provide a little insight on who may be able to help with your project. Good luck, HTH.

Mark

Re:looking for info and restoring my wacanda 11 years 2 months ago #81171

oh sorry i live in lewiston idaho now.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online