Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy

What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80143

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I cant find a match for it! Anyone here recognize it? I am trying to get a vintage boat to take my wife and daughter out on. I love the style of this one! Says it has been sitting for a few years though. Asking $2000. Decent deal?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80169

buguy,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80181

Welcome aboard.

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80223

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys! After spending some time looking around here I can see I am going to have a problem. Too many boats out there and not enough time. I professionally restore classic cars for a living and hope to do a few restos on boats for myself (already have a few cars). I started out oogling over wooden boats, but im not too excited about all the maintenance I would have to do on them. So.....classic glass it is!

I found the boat above, a cool 1960 Norris Craft, a '79 Aristocraft 9teen, 61 Lone Star and a '62 MFG nearby that I am going to look at. Unfortunately, I dont know anything about values of these boats and what would be smartest to restore. Although the boat above is probably my favorite of them so far. There are also a couple aluminum boats I dig too! '57 Falcon, and a 55 Aerocraft. I hope to narrow it do by condition and price, and maybe some input for the forum here. Thanks guys!

By the way im in Daytona Beach, Florida. Boating weather year round!!

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80226

Consensus seems to be that with few exceptions restoring Glassics is done for love because there is rarely any profit. But who knows? With your experience you could find the Bugatti of Fiberglass !

Welcome !

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80228

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah that makes sense. But I dont want to restore a boat that has very little value when im done. It seems to me that a majority of the glass boats are similar in value. There of course are excetions, but thats just what I have seen so far.
I just got off the phone with the guy that has the '62 MFG. Missing windshield and frame. Merc 1000 that turns over but doesnt start (sitting for years yadda yadda), seats are hard, wireing harness is jacked up, but trailer is good. Asking $1100. Thinkk im gunna pass on that one. Too much wrong with it. Of course its the only one close to me. The rest are 2-3 hours away.

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80234

Craigslist and eBay are a good source for leads. From what I've seen you can pick up a complete runner for about a thousand. Prices swing on condition but at a fraction of what classic cars go for.

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80237

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Agreed. Most of what I have found has been between $1000-$2500. I am amazed at how inexpensive they are! Also I LOVE the look of wood boats, but some of these aluminum boats I have found here are really cool too. Ugh! How am I supposed to decide where to start!!

Here are the '55 Aerocraft and the '57 falcon:
Attachments:

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80239

I've seen some of the aluminum projects on here and they shine up like mirrors. Look at this one - www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/home/main-forum/calling-this-one-done-1958-cadillac-constellation#79195

I'm new to this and am starting with a '67 Glastron v-150. It's in good original condition and I'm just going to shine her up and get her wet.

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80246

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Nice! I am an automotive painter, and part of the job is wetsanding and buffing the paint to a mirror shine. Im betting polishing aluminum is very similar. So I think I could make one look sweet. But I have to wonder on the 55 Aerocraft, I bet that metal gets real hot, and it appears your forearms and elbows would get burnt easily on that one. Pretty hot down here in the Florida sun!

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80252

Well ?
My opinion ? Since you have some classic cars ? Look for a boat that goes with, and makes both the car AND boat really POP when folks see you cruising the boulevard.

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80264

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeha maybe! But I have muscle cars and im not sure these types of boats really go with that type of thing. It would be fun to paint them to match though!

No one has ever seen a boat like the first one I pictured? Really like to know what it is. Owner says there is nothing on it at all. No hull tag, no plates....nothing.

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80283

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Someone will chime in on what that boat is,give it a couple days.As far as a boat to go with a muscle car I can think of a few, G-3 which has it's own forum here,Power Cat and Switzer all look and go fast with a Mercury Tower of the same period hanging on the transom.You are correct as far as some of the hulls go,they do not have the look of a bad azz boat when matched up with vintage muscle.Check out Billscars.com he has some awesome rides and posted up on the thread below this one.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80362

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks alot! I will check those out. But I am more interested in a cool old looking boat than I am with a speed type boat. I have to admit though, some of the cats I see on here are sooo cool!! If wood wasnt such a pain, id go that way. I think it would be neat to restore one. And they sure are beautiful. But I have enough work to do; boating should be enjoyed.
I found a pretty good deal on a 1961 Lone Star (Newport as far as I can tell). Runs good and the boat, engine, and trailer are quite nice, but the look is just ho-hum to me. Barely looks vintage in my oppinion. Priced right @ an asking price of $1500. Would be a quick way to get on the water I guess. But doesnt really get my motor running..

If anyone gets bored you can have a look at the work I do at daytonamusclecars.com

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80542

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Found a cool '59 Lake Flight. Missing a bunch of stuff though. Fun boat, they are asking $750.
Attachments:

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80599

Your link did not work for me. 2k for red one seems very fair.
www.facebook.com/pages/Gators-Amphicar/34298494069
If I ever do another project I want it complete and running.

If anyone gets bored you can have a look at the work I do at daytonamusclecars.com[/quote]
Attachments:

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80714

• buguy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah I cant get the url to work for me here for some reason? Oh well.

Still looking for the maker of the first red boat. No clue what it is yet. And it does run, he just said it hasnt been in the water for quite a while. But he said he would be glad to start it for me.

Re:What is it? 1958? Looks like a '57 Chevy 11 years 2 months ago #80859

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I used to scour the ads all the time for good deals and finally decided to see if I could have the good deals come to me. I run this ad constantly in my area:

"I buy old runabouts, running or not, 1955 to 1970 ONLY, fiberglass or wood, up to 24'. NO pontoons, house boats, sail boats, bass boats, jon boats or canoes. Fair cash prices paid based on condition."

I get calls all the time. Some are crazy people asking crazy prices but many are people trying to get rid of "the old ugly boat" just sitting around. In the past year I have bought:

1963 Glasspar Seafair sedan, original trailer, no motor, $300
1962 Hydrodyne 17, 4 cyl inboard/stringer, trailer, $300
1969 Correct Craft Ski Nautique, 318 V8, original trailer, $300
1964 OMC Deluxe 17, V6/stringer, original trailer, $400

All need work but none are junk and all of them came with running engines and titles.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle