• Page:

TOPIC: Cutter Scamp Restoration

Cutter Scamp Restoration 11 years 2 months ago #80053

• havock
  • havock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So my restoration of my Cutter Scamp is under way. I have removed the top from the hull and I've started removing the transom.

The transom was a bit water logged and I was able to remove most of it with my bare hands. I am at a point now where I need to start using some sort of tool to remove the rest of the wood.

I would appreciate any advice as to how best to attack the remains of the transom. I've put some online of the remains of my transom.

imgur.com/a/hlbgc#0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 11 years 2 months ago #80063

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Havock, Excellent start sir, I have used chisel point paint scrappers, hammer, wood chisels, but my favorite is a little cheap Harbor Freight multi tool. It appears you will need to open your inside skin some more. You did right in leaving the outer skin of the transom. Once you have all the old wood removed you will want to rough up the fiberglass on the outer skin as you begin to put your new wood in. Good Start. Please continue to post pictures of your progress.
Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 11 years 2 months ago #80066

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I wasn't sure if I should remove that or not. That is all there was for the inside skin. Shockingly the exposed plywood was the only part still in decent condition.
I din't see how removing it could cause a problem but I wasn't sure so I thought I should check and get some advise. Thanks Morris

I'll be sure to keep up dating with new photos

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 11 years 2 months ago #80141

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
So after cutting back the inside skin as per Morris's suggestion the transom removal went smoothly. The transom is gone. You can see a picture here

I believe the next part is to make a template of the opening, cut the plywood, rough up the inside of the transom skin and then glass the plywood back in place. Sounds simple enough :)

Do anyone have any recommendations on:

How best to make a template? Bristol board?
What type of plywood is best?
how to clamp the plywood to the skin? I don't have a 3 foot deep clamp.

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 11 years 2 months ago #80150

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Looking Good Havock! This area is where everyone has a difference of opinion. I used a BCX grade of plywood as I was making a curved transom. BCX or ACX would be recommended if Marine Plywood is not available. I used wood screws to assist with the laminating. some cheap .99 cent clamps. Get some fiberglass mat to sandwhich between the old skin and each piece of plywood you use then by some 4 or 6 oz cloth or better yet bi-axle cloth. for you new inner skin. Here are a couple of pic's of my latest g3 transom rebuild. Use the gunwale for addition bracing if needed as in the top pic.
space the wood screws on the outer skin to draw the plywood to. USE screws that go all the way thru the plywood. when you glass in the second piece of plywood the glue will squeeze out of the holes from the first glassing and seal the outer skin. If you use the same hole for both pieces of wood the resin from the new inner Hull/skin will drain thru the holes and seal the outer skin of the transom. Have fun and keep us posted.
Al
Attachments:

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 11 years 2 months ago #80155

good job looks like your ready to start the replacement part in the R & R process. i found a supplier of marine plywood. the 3/8" was 50.00 a sheet and the 3/4" will be 72.00 a sheet. gives you an idea of the cost . what ever you use seal the edges up good that's where the trouble starts. i poured mine but your coming along nicely.

cap-n billybob

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 11 years 2 months ago #80166

Havock, go to Member Projects and look up my 1959 Glastron project. I detail a lot of the transoom relacement process and have a bunch of pictures, including the long clamps I made. Hope that helps.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 11 years 2 months ago #80199

before you put a new transom in there the entire area needs to ground down to fresh glass with 36 grit so the new glass will get a good bite on the old .

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 10 years 9 months ago #87508

I'm just starting a registration on a 1960's Cutter Scamp. My boat doesn't have the damage your's does, but it as the same backend issues. Please keep your post and images of the restoration going. I would love to see what you do and how you do it. I'm also new at this but would love to learn maore.

1963 Cutter Scamp Owner
Mark

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 10 years 9 months ago #87511

mwsarge wrote:

I'm just starting a registration on a 1960's Cutter Scamp. My boat doesn't have the damage your's does, but it as the same backend issues. Please keep your post and images of the restoration going. I would love to see what you do and how you do it. I'm also new at this but would love to learn maore.

1963 Cutter Scamp Owner
Mark

Start a thread, post some pix & you'll likely get all the help you'll need to get your Scamp back on the water.

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 10 years 2 months ago #98179

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Well to drag up an old post I thought I'd bring an update to the restoration of the Cutter.

Things were a little slow and a very cold winter, long spring, and 2 kids doing so much stuff delayed the process. I'm happy to say I was able to get the 2 pieces of plywood laminated into the transom yesterday.
I don't have pictures but I did use wood screws through the skin and into both pieces of plywood.
I wasn't sure it was going to fit, it was incredibly tight for the dry fit but once the epoxy was in place the plywood went in smooth.
The next step is to ensure the transom in sealed in place and the no water will ever reach the core again. I will need to glass the inside of the transom (something that wasn't done previously).

The next big thing I have to tackle is how to re-attach the top of the boat to the hull. Do I just re-glass it in place?

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 10 years 2 months ago #98188

Excellent, glad your still at it. As far as the top is concerned it would depend on how the first was put on. Does it have a lip that overlaps the hull? Then you could drill and rivet it together then have the rubrail cover it. If it was designed to be glassed together, then you'll have to glass it back together. Some of the other folks with more experience splitting hulls can jump in here.

Bob

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 10 years 2 months ago #98221

• cron78
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Keep working on that Cutter and post pics. I need inspiration to get going on my Jet DeVille.

Re:Cutter Scamp Restoration 10 years 1 month ago #99838

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Well I'm happy to say I am getting the transom all sealed up. and I'm looking ahead to when I will be re-attaching the top deck back onto the hull. I noticed that not only was the top glassed into place which I can handle without a problem but the it was also stapled in place!
Do I need to have this mechanical connection? If I d how the heck to I do this? Where do I find a stapler that will go through 1/4" (a guesstimate) of fiberglass?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online