Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN

Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #79970

Growing up dad had a 1965 SPAN V-20 Offshore... im looking for a boat like it. it holds great sentimental value to me my great grandpa bought it new, and it was passed down through the generations. But dad was somewhat forced to sell it the city didn't appreciate a boat in the front yard. anyone who can help me find a boat similar to that boat i'd greatly appreciate it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #79972

Welcome ! Here is the section in the Fiberglassics Library about Span America boats. From your picture you may have already found it. Good luck in your search !!!

www.fiberglassics.com/library/Span_America

Re: Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #79977

andrew1,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #79993

Welcome aboard. I warn you this can be addicting.

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #80000

A guy had one of these in his shed near a town in MN a few years ago. I think the boat was owned by another guy. The first guy lists lots of his stuff for sale every once and again on craigs list in Minneapolis.

I have a circa 1961 -62 Span America 14 footer that you can have for free if you desire. Just a hull, no seats or much hardware or motor or trailer. Rotten wood under the floor. Located just west of Minneapolis. Come and get it!

Andreas

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #80003

Or, do you want a show winner?

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #80005

No I dont need a show winner, I will do what needs to be done to get her lake or river worthy, and it will be used and abused. Im actually very mechanically inclined, and have built many engines, including a few marine engines. All I need is a boat of the same make and model lol...

P.S. thanks for all the welcomes every forum ive ever joined i dont get much of a welcome :)

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #80007

thompsonboat wrote:

a guy had one of these in his shed in minnesota a few years ago. I think the boat was owned by Brad Hoekstra. He lists lots of his stuff for sale every once and again on craigs list.

I have a circa 1961 -62 Span America 14 footer that you can have for free if you desire. Just a hull, no seats or much hardware or motor or trailer. Rotten wood under the floor. Located just west of Minneapolis. Come and get it!

Andreas

Does He have a account here?

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #80008

Yes, the person with the Span is on here altho I have not seen anything from him in a very long time. He has, get this, a MY SPACE page devoted to Span and Span America Boats. Not sure if he's on FACEBOOK.

He lives west of a city in MN. I think the mailing address is xxxxx, MN.

The 20 footer he had in his shed was water ready if I recall correctly.

Andreas

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 2 months ago #80009

lol, I gave him a shot yesterday, ill check Facebook as im just a young pup... 22. And if there is one in Minnesota, there's a good chance that's our old boat. The guy dad sold it too was taking it to Minnesota, I cant remember where i was 6. But thanks so much for the heads up! I really appreciate it.

11 years 1 month ago #83052

Attachments:

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 1 month ago #83053

So to anyone whos wondered i gave up on finding a 65 span since bob said he was sure the one he sold was the last one and the couple that bought it were unreachable since then i bought my first boat an 89 celebrity nice boat we love it but then my uncle called me at noon today and explained that he had found something i wouldnt believe a 1965 span 20ft offshore not more than 40 miles from home from the decription it sounded like dads old boat the trailer was the same style and some other dead giveaways but long story short i drove up and took a look sure enough the boat from my childhood was indeed in very rough shape i wont get started on the list but my heart jumped everything lined up including the numbers on the bow exactly as my father left them 1st one is obviously when i was a boy and the 2nd was from this afternoon we purchased the boat for $400 and im going to pick it up tomorrow
Attachments:

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 1 month ago #83054

and heres from this afternoon
Attachments:

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 1 month ago #83061

very cool story!

Andreas

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 1 month ago #83065

Glad to hear you not only found it bit now own it.

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 1 month ago #83070

thanks guys i made it a point to contact bob and give him the heads up he was happy to hear it as am i im debating whether to try and shop around for a cheaper guy to gelcoat the whole thing or fix some of the defects but the keel is down to bare fiberglass and on the corner of the transom someone hit it so theres some fiberglass repair shining through the paint or thin layer of gel someone didnt do a good job of putting on if anyone has suggestions id appreciate it i dont want to sink 30 grand into this boat but if thats what it takes thats what ill do

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 1 month ago #83072

Congrats on finding your boat. That doesn't happen too often. I hope that you get it back on the water and enjoy it for many years to come. Those are a beautiful looking boat. Skip.

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 1 month ago #83088

well heres the keel anyone know the best way to go about fixing that i bet the only way to do it right is go to bare fiberglass but i figured id ask the glass guys and im gonna call bob one of these days and get it figured out
Attachments:

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 1 month ago #83178

that is a very cool story with a happy ending. that is how i got into this hobby 20 years ago. i was looking for our 63 "pink" Larson that i had grown up with . i thought i had found it but the trail eventually dried up. so glad yours didn't,, enjoy and relive your memories...

Re:Looking for a 65 or 66 SPAN 11 years 1 month ago #83180

Ya I would've been happy with any 20' span offshore, but the one that turned up happened to be our old boat. Now the fun part, restoration. Looks like my father and brother already gutted the interior, minus the dash of course. They are taking the seats and side panels etc. to be recovered.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online