Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: STOW THAT GEAR! Tragic boat event..

STOW THAT GEAR! Tragic boat event.. 11 years 3 months ago #79841

• Robby321
  • Robby321's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I seen the idiots here do the "tube" on the deck, zero tie downed, as the driver behind a windshield, clueless the frontal wind, and go WOT, show off how so fast it is, to impress the kids. And stuff like this can happen. This death is somehow hitting me hard, as been "wet since 1953 a Tyke", now 63.
Be cautious and careful out there. As any time, "things can go horribly wrong in a instant". This is sad....

Woman dead after Fort Myers boating accident
Posted: Jul 07, 2013 12:22 PM PST Updated: Jul 07, 2013 5:08 PM PST
By Kim Brown, Reporter - bio | email

One woman died after a tube in a boat flew out and yanked a line with it that wrapped around her neck -- pulling her overboard.

Investigators are still searching for clues as to what led up to the death of 23-year-old Maleah Nowak, of Cape Coral.

The driver of the boat was identified as Joshua Emerson, of North Fort Myers.

Over the past few hours they've examined the boat involved, but they say it started out on the water.

Florida fish and wildlife officials say three people we're headed east on a boat in the Caloosahatchee River.

Once the boaters made it past the state road 31 bridge, officials said the tube they had on the boat flew out.

Then, the line that was attached to the tube and boat wrapped around Nowak's neck pulling her overboard.

FWC said Nowak died as a result of her injuries.

"I've never heard of this exact situation happening," said Gary Morse, FWC. "However, wind can be a problem on any vessel, whether it be a sailboat, or a power boat, and that's something people need to consider before they go racing off"

The 20-foot powerboat had to be taken to Sweet Water Landing for the investigation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:STOW THAT GEAR! Tragic boat event.. 11 years 3 months ago #79845

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That IS sad Robby, such a senseless death! I can see why this one sticks in your craw, it put a pretty ugly visual in my brain I can't seem to get out. Y'all PLEASE be careful out there!

Mark

Re:STOW THAT GEAR! Tragic boat event.. 11 years 3 months ago #79849

Terrible accident. So preventable.

Re:STOW THAT GEAR! Tragic boat event.. 11 years 3 months ago #79852

As I often have landlubbers riding in a boat, I always offer them a life jacket and where others are.

Sometimes I think my wife gives me frown.

Re:STOW THAT GEAR! Tragic boat event.. 11 years 3 months ago #79868

My boats are small. When I'm in the boat mine is on. I have back problems and have balance problems. Went swimming a few years back and discovered I could not kick my legs anymore. I got out of the water but it was scary. I used to swim across the Allegheny. What it boils down too is if I had went overboard before I discovered I could not swim anymore I'd be just as dead as that young lady. Many places I fish are shallow but many are not. In the pic I used to swim across that river just above the dam about 150 yards.
Attachments:

Re:STOW THAT GEAR! Tragic boat event.. 11 years 3 months ago #79882

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for posting this. I would never have thought an inner tube, light enough to blow away as a boat accelerates, could possibly be heavy enough to tangle on a person (adult) and yank them overboard! Important safety heads up!

Re:STOW THAT GEAR! Tragic boat event.. 11 years 3 months ago #79886

Robby, very very sad but good to post it so we all remember how bad things can happen if we're not paying attention.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online